What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
You can only release players that are desirable for other clubs. Most will say Shaun Lane. But what would he be on? $350k? He’s good value on that coin. Matterson is the one I’d be looking at offloading. Marata is better than him.
The main issue with marata is he spends most weeks on report. His judiciary record is horrendous. If he gets a grade 2 from last night he probably misses the first 3 rounds next year with carryover points.

If the warriors and dragons are willing to offer 500k i would begrudgingly let him go unless he wants to stay on unders around 350k

Avenger

Immortal
Nathan Brown’s regression is the most alarming thing and despite him only just being re-signed I’d consider tapping him on the shoulder whilst he is still valuable.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon our last month shows the sivo experiment should be over.

We haven't really missed him in fact our revival coincided with him unfortunately getting injured we have had more speed in the backline better lateral movement especially defensively and better carries/yardage from our outside backs.

gaffer

Juniors
I reckon our last month shows the sivo experiment should be over.

We haven't really missed him in fact our revival coincided with him unfortunately getting injured we have had more speed in the backline better lateral movement especially defensively and better carries/yardage from our outside backs.
give him ago in the middle until he gets his shit together

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Nathan Brown and Lane were the weak links last night, Papa is absolutely elite amazing pick up for us and him and Paulo should be the main priorities.

Dunster was immense again in a big game, him and Will P have that side locked up as far as i'm concerned going forwards and Blake looks a different player the last 6 weeks. Just need to find another winger, a back up dummy half and we should be competitive again next season.

emjaycee

Coach
Nathan Brown and Lane were the weak links last night, Papa is absolutely elite amazing pick up for us and him and Paulo should be the main priorities.

Dunster was immense again in a big game, him and Will P have that side locked up as far as i'm concerned going forwards and Blake looks a different player the last 6 weeks. Just need to find another winger, a back up dummy half and we should be competitive again next season.
We have been competitive the last 3 years - we need to find an "X factor" unless we want to accept just being competitive (which I don't).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We have been competitive the last 3 years - we need to find an "X factor" unless we want to accept just being competitive (which I don't).
Where do we get that X factor player from??? Who do we give up to get that player??? Guth??? With guys like Dunster and Will P stepping up that does save us a little money out wide. I still believe D Brown could be that X factor player i think i'm flicking my bean probably.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ponga has a an option for 2023. He is the only X Factor realistically available.
Ponga is not worth the cash, what's he on over 1m??? Great attacking player but doesn't like the tough stuff and is average in defence. Who else is out there worth chasing that will make the difference???

emjaycee

Coach
Where do we get that X factor player from??? Who do we give up to get that player??? Guth??? With guys like Dunster and Will P stepping up that does save us a little money out wide. I still believe D Brown could be that X factor player i think i'm flicking my bean probably.
I wish I knew and hopefully they come from within the club, but if you look at each team above us on the ladder this year, they have all had one x-factor (or more) type player who can turn a game when needed.

Melbourne: Munster/Grant
Penrith: Cleary
Souths: Mitchell
Manly: Turbo/DCE
Roosters: Tedesco

Unless it is just our typical Parra fan attitude of either over-rating or under-rating our own players based on the result of any particular game, there isn't anyone I see in our squad that we could say are at the same level as those I have listed. Or maybe it is the fact that our players just don't get "hyped" up and called superstars by the various commentators like the names above.

I won't join you in the mutual bean flicking, but I too hope Drown becomes that player.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I think we've got a good/classy "spine" - Gutherson, Moses, Mahoney, with Brown the current weakest link (unless his attack develops/steps up).

Sides bound for a GF usually have a very good 5th spine member on the bench, and for our squad that has been Smith (unsigned for 2022).

We've got decent enough backs and forwards, though our depth in some positions has been exposed through mid-season injuries/suspension. But the squad's not far away, and performance in big games (2x wins over Storm, 2x narrow defeats to Penrith) show we can cut it.

Still have trouble against the Manly / Souths playing style though...

lucablight

First Grade
I wish I knew and hopefully they come from within the club, but if you look at each team above us on the ladder this year, they have all had one x-factor (or more) type player who can turn a game when needed.

Unless it is just our typical Parra fan attitude of either over-rating or under-rating our own players based on the result of any particular game, there isn't anyone I see in our squad that we could say are at the same level as those I have listed. Or maybe it is the fact that our players just don't get "hyped" up and called superstars by the various commentators like the names above.

I won't join you in the mutual bean flicking, but I too hope Drown becomes that player.
I wouldn’t consider Cleary to be an X factor player. He’s more of a consistent player who can lead a team around the park rather than conjure up a match winning play from nothing. I’d consider Moses to have more X factor than Cleary.

yy_cheng

Coach

I reckon Moses is our DCE.. definitely not in the class of the others.

If Moses really wants to own the team like JT did, he could be that x-factor.

Oh I wish we had Semi !!! He was always good for 1 or 2 tries from our end

emjaycee

Coach
I wouldn’t consider Cleary to be an X factor player. He’s more of a consistent player who can lead a team around the park rather than conjure up a match winning play from nothing. I’d consider Moses to have more X factor than Cleary.
I originally though that Kikau might actually be the Panthers X-factor, but he is a knob so I didn't want to put him on my list ;)

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon Moses is our DCE.. definitely not in the class of the others.

If Moses really wants to own the team like JT did, he could be that x-factor.

Oh I wish we had Semi !!! He was always good for 1 or 2 tries from our end
Semi was definitely an x-factor player and that other outside back we had that ended up in jail was obviously one as well until he went O/S. But it is 4 season ago now since we had Semi and in 3 of those seasons we have had the squad to make the top 6, but not the player to get us over the line.

If we have either Semi or the other guy last night, we probably win that game.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I love Marata Niukore, and want him to stay - but I can't fathom how he's a better player than Matterson.

Matterson came back after a lay-off last night, and showed his class.

Marata's aggression is awesome, but if he doesn't dial it down, he will spend more time off the field, than on it...
Lane ahead of Matto also in any way shape or form is one for Ripleys. Lane is a soft merkin who you know is going to let you down in the back end. That soft AF head high angered me a great deal.

Last edited:

Latest posts