What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
One club is adamant Parramatta’s Ryan Matterson has been talked about as being excess baggage at the Eels, while the same is being said of Canterbury’s Corey Allan and Kyle Flanagan.

However, all three might be a hard sell given they are all on good money and not exactly coming off the best of seasons.

Matterson is on close to $500,000 and has a worrying concussion history, and two of the clubs with money to spend on their salary cap for next season are the Tigers and Dragons.

Matterson had a fallout with Michael Maguire at the Tigers, while the backrower the Dragons are keen on is Matterson’s teammate Marata Niukore.

Regardless, Parramatta is facing a desperate fight to keep a number of players. Reed Mahoney has already been linked to Brisbane and Canterbury.

What makes Mahoney’s situation particularly interesting is that the in-demand dummy half’s agent is Sam Ayoub. He also looks after Clint Gutherson and Junior Paulo, who are off contract at the end of next season.

It is unlikely the Eels will get away with trying to lowball Ayoub on any of the three, like they were accused of doing last time Gutherson’s contract was being negotiated.

So far the two parties have vowed that they don’t want this to get ugly like it did last time, but time will be the judge on that.

The Eels captain is unlikely to want to even consider leaving Brad Arthur, but Gutherson is the type of player who could also be a good fit at Canterbury given the Bulldogs have only signed former Dragon Matt Dufty on a one-year deal.

Did Sam write that ….

The Eel

Juniors
His position is 6 and remembers he's only 21. It's the coaching staffs brilliant idea to move him to the right that stunted his attacking influence on the team. You don't solve an issue with an attack by moving him out of position again. From the last couple of games that he played on the left, I'm expecting a huge year from him.
I hope you are right, but I am yet to be convinced by him.

Glenneel

Bench
I am not a finance guy. Not sure what he would be worth on the open market. We will soon know I guess. All I know is, he is a good little player, and I think we will rue him leaving, if it happens
I would say Eels will have to pay around $800k to keep him and if Gutho's manager wants $1m (imo he is not worth that) I'd say club will not re-sign him. Using my trusty (but not always accurate) crystal ball if above happens for '23 we'll have backline of:
1. Dyl Brown
2. Dunster
3. Blake
4. Peninisi
5. Sivo/Russell
6. Moses
7. Lui (new signing)

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I would say Eels will have to pay around $800k to keep him and if Gutho's manager wants $1m (imo he is not worth that) I'd say club will not re-sign him. Using my trusty (but not always accurate) crystal ball if above happens for '23 we'll have backline of:
1. Dyl Brown
2. Dunster
3. Blake
4. Peninisi
5. Sivo/Russell
6. Moses
7. Lui (new signing)
Which club do you reckon would pay 1m for Gutho?

Glenneel

Bench
Excellent. We have a good record with indigenous boys at our club playing in the halves. More highs than lows. John Simon, Dean Widders and Dennis Moran immediately come to mind. Sandow not so much.
Dean Widders is still one of my favourite players. He is, I believe, still associated with the club as coach of the woman's team.

Why????
If fb's can become 5/8 why can't they become fb's?
I'd say Dyl would be a good fb. Has elite speed and likes to run first, so a good quality to have. The extra room to move might be just what he needs and just might increase his ability to put people thru gaps.

He is also an outstanding one-on-one defender (in the line at least).

IFR33K

Coach
All the exceptional fullbacks either have speed/power or a combination of both. Gutho has neither IMO. It’s a shame because he’s a smart player with a good passing game. If we lose him he’d be easier to replace than rheed. And if we lose him I honestly think Brown may make a very good supporting fullback. Speed around the middle to create opportunities.

IFR33K

Coach
Yeah, we got the best years out of Gutho and I am totally fine with him moving on.
I like him but I also hold it against him all this Ayoub stuff. Players have to fire agents if they do things that tarnish the players reputation and since Guth hasn't fired Ayoub we have to assume that the stupidity was in fact Guth's doing.
I would offer him significantly less than he is currently on maybe like $500k for 2 years. If he can get a pay rise he should take it.

I honestly don’t think we’ll lose Gutho. He seems to love BA and I can’t see anyone offering 1 mill for his services.

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
This alleged incident involving tedesco shows how much pull the chooks and uncle nick politis have with the telegraph.

It has barely been mentioned in past 2 days in the paper. And none of the bottom feeding journos want to touch it. Usually the likes of Rothfield and weilder would br tweeting out BREAKING NEWS about that sort of incident

Now tedesco has probably done nothing wrong.

But any other club they are hung drawn and quartered before the investigation is complete

Rocket man

Juniors
This alleged incident involving tedesco shows how much pull the chooks and uncle nick politis have with the telegraph.

It has barely been mentioned in past 2 days in the paper. And none of the bottom feeding journos want to touch it. Usually the likes of Rothfield and weilder would br tweeting out BREAKING NEWS about that sort of incident

Now tedesco has probably done nothing wrong.

But any other club they are hung drawn and quartered before the investigation is complete
Tedesco apparently said the name of a TV series.
How is that discrimination!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Why????
If fb's can become 5/8 why can't they become fb's?
I'd say Dyl would be a good fb. Has elite speed and likes to run first, so a good quality to have. The extra room to move might be just what he needs and just might increase his ability to put people thru gaps.

One of the most important traits for a 1 is to be able to orchestrate the defensive line in front of him, if you believe he can do that than you obviously know more than the coaching staff who are currently guiding him.

by the way, a prominent scout once told me that the worse fullbacks in the game are the ones that can't pass and don't talk.

hindy111

Post Whore
One of the most important traits for a 1 is to be able to orchestrate the defensive line in front of him, if you believe he can do that than you obviously know more than the coaching staff who are currently guiding him.

by the way, a prominent scout once told me that the worse fullbacks in the game are the ones that can't pass and don't talk.

Brown is a 5/8. The only other position If eel he may are it is centre.
Whats your word and opinion on Russel and Hollis. Where do you rate these guys?

Latest posts