What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

SneakyEel

Juniors
If Mahoney leaves I'd be chasing Starling hard, he's a Damien Cook clone. In the right culture and around the right players I reckon he'll thrive. Being away from Ricky's dickheads might help him grow up a bit. Probably only cost us 500k and has the potential to play origin.

Rocket man

Juniors
If Mahoney leaves I'd be chasing Starling hard, he's a Damien Cook clone. In the right culture and around the right players I reckon he'll thrive. Being away from Ricky's dickheads might help him grow up a bit. Probably only cost us 500k and has the potential to play origin.
I think extended with Canberra.

I sometimes think we (Parra fans) expect too much too soon from our players, which is our right as fans but isnt really fair.
Drown has great defence, great speed (and yes acceleration) and is pretty friggen strong. We saw in his debut year that he has good ball skills as well.

So I reckon we just need to give the 21 year old with already 50+ games experience a break. Reynolds, Keary, Luai, Cronk, all debuted older than Drown.
I wanna see him swap positions with Unco

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think if we re-sign Mahoney then he is awesome and top 3 hooker in the game. If he leaves he was never that good and we will replace him with someone cheaper and better.
He's probably top five in the game, whether he stays or not. But overpaying him is worse than replacing him with someone less good (but good enough) and cheaper.

84 Baby

Referee
Glenn Duncan and that Eagleston bloke supposedly really love the Eels. Now would be the time to show that love.

Suspect we’ll only hear from them if we lose a few more players

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I sometimes think we (Parra fans) expect too much too soon from our players, which is our right as fans but isnt really fair.
Drown has great defence, great speed (and yes acceleration) and is pretty friggen strong. We saw in his debut year that he has good ball skills as well.

So I reckon we just need to give the 21 year old with already 50+ games experience a break. Reynolds, Keary, Luai, Cronk, all debuted older than Drown.
It was in the context of a discussion about Brown or Mahoney. I'd be happy to keep both, but that doesn't look like happening so I was merely suggesting that Mahoney would be my preference out of the two.

There was plenty of commentary about Brown this year and how he hasn't maybe kicked on as much as some would hope. Don't think its just parra fans saying it and he certainly shouldn't be immune from criticism just because he plays for Parra.

Avenger

Immortal
It was in the context of a discussion about Brown or Mahoney. I'd be happy to keep both, but that doesn't look like happening so I was merely suggesting that Mahoney would be my preference out of the two.

There was plenty of commentary about Brown this year and how he hasn't maybe kicked on as much as some would hope. Don't think its just parra fans saying it and he certainly shouldn't be immune from criticism just because he plays for Parra.
Nobody says he should be immune however everyone has their opinion and in my opinion he is as important to our side as Moses and Gutherson and more than Mahoney. However if I had to choose I’d be banking on Brown. I can however understand people preferring Mahoney.

The Eel

Juniors
I reckon we will end up losing Mahoney. It’s not looking good but as long as we retain Dylan Brown long term and keep Paulo I’m fine with it. When we had Lussick we were still going well. Shame he went however and that’s the part that annoys me. We were a bit arrogant and assumed they would stay and we let a quality player like Lussick go.

If he starts leading the team song next year and I know he won’t be here the year after I could dead set slap the disloyal little merkin.

I’d f**k him off now and ask for another player in return. I can’t bear to see them be all ‘professional’ and give it their all in their last year.

Just f**k off now. All of them except Marata. He is one is the only one leaving that is acceptable seeing he’s going home.
Amen

emjaycee

Coach

Also plenty of wraps on him from some of the 'knowledgeable' commentators. All I was saying was that at 21 he probably still needs to be cut some slack. He is the best (or nearly the best) defensive half in the game and I can't recall him losing a game for us this year.

emjaycee

Coach
Nobody says he should be immune however everyone has their opinion and in my opinion he is as important to our side as Moses and Gutherson and more than Mahoney. However if I had to choose I’d be banking on Brown. I can however understand people preferring Mahoney.
I prefer Mahoney but I like Brown. Selfishly, I want us to keep them both and I want them as 1 club players that retire with multiple GF rings.

Chipmunk

Coach
How about Drown to 9, Gutho and Moses in the halves and we find a new fullback for 2023?

Maybe this will at least get rid of the stupid setup where the dummy half passes the ball 20 metres to a half who is standing still.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't think Mahoney has performed at a high level long enough to say he is top shelf for the rest of career.
He has had 2 solid seasons and a stand- out.
But it doesn't mean he will continue to elevate. He may plateu. He may go back to 2020 form. Off tits if think this isn't possible.
I remember a guy called Segyaroo. Boy he was a good one. And his career fizzled. Same happened to Foran. And these guys showed more for longer.

Rheed played great this season in a side that played very well. But when we played our best footy he wasn't part of the side.
D.Browns defense against Penrith put us in a whisker of winning. Without it Cleary scores early and they probably steam roll us.

I'm more focussed on jnr development and look forward to that. The better we are the more we will lose. Much prefer to not losing anyone cause we are garbage.

hindy111

Post Whore
How about Drown to 9, Gutho and Moses in the halves and we find a new fullback for 2023?

Maybe this will at least get rid of the stupid setup where the dummy half passes the ball 20 metres to a half who is standing still.

D.Brown if doesn't cut it I feel makes a very good centre. Him and Penisni with Waqa and Dunster on the wing would be a great backline.
Gutherson and Moses in halves and who knows this Russel kid may explode.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Pay walled

Parramatta chair Sean McElduff has ridiculed suggestions the club has been lowballing players and urged fans to focus on the huge strides they have made in recent years in producing better footballers.
The Parramatta Eels have been under the microscope in recent months over their recruitment and retention strategy, having tried and failed to keep Marata Niukore and Isaiah Papali’i from the clutches of rival clubs.

At the same time, they have been locked in painstaking talks with a host of other players, among them key figures Clint Gutherson (who re-signed over the weekend, more below), Reed Mahoney and Junior Paulo.

The slow progress of talks has prompted claims the Eels have been lowballing players with offers aimed to keep them on the cheap, an accusation McElduff finds galling.

Clint Gutherson has re-signed (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

Clint Gutherson has re-signed (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
“Let’s come to the lowballing,” McElduff said in an excuse interview with News Corp.

“To suggest we are lowballing is absurd. We have a retention strategy and we spend 100 percent of the salary cap.

“Unfortunately, there is also an external market for players and sometimes our offer it is not enough. The reality of the player market is that some clubs are willing to pay more to attract players.

“As a club there comes a point when you can’t go any higher otherwise you create problems in future years.

“We want to keep all our players. We try to compete on things other than price. It is like most things in business — if you compete purely on price you are probably going to lose because there is always someone who will pay more.

“As a club, our goal is to create a great place for people to come to work. We have improved dramatically over the last five years, we offer players the chance to play in a winning team with good coaching, good training facilities, good player welfare and a great stadium.

“We see this as a real value proposition for our players. We all have the same salary cap limit and the reality of rugby league is that the more successful you are on the field, the greater the market value of your players.”

The Eels are hopeful Reed Mahoney will re-sign. Picture: NRL Photos

The Eels are hopeful Reed Mahoney will re-sign. Picture: NRL Photos
While much of the attention has fallen on the decisions of Niukore and Papalii’i to depart at the end of 2022, the Eels have had some notable victories.

Reagan Campbell-Gillard initially indicated he would head to market but ultimately re-signed with the Eels on a long-term deal.

Crucially, the club reached a breakthrough in talks with Gutherson on Friday and Saturday, tying him to the club until the end of 2025.

Their priority now is to keep Mahoney and Paulo — the former has attracted interest from Canterbury while the latter has spoken to the Dolphins, but is expected to sign a new deal with the Eels.

“We will do whatever we can,” McElduff said.

“What I can say is that we will trying to manage the club for both the short and the longer term. Over the last few years, we haven’t lost many players.

“Our on-field performance continues to improve year-on-year meaning our players are now in higher demand.

“I think this is a positive for the club. We see ourselves as a development club. Players come to the club and get better.

“We are losing both Isaiah and Marata in 2023. The reality is their market value has increased significantly since they came to the Eels and we have a salary cap limit.

Marata Niukore has switched to the Warriors (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)

Marata Niukore has switched to the Warriors (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)
“The price others clubs are willing to pay says something about our club and our ability to develop players. It is all about continuous improvement which requires some reflection.

“We won’t get everything right, we do make mistakes but I think over the course of the last five years we have gotten a lot of things right.”

Asked wether he had a message for the club’s fans, McElduff said: “There is something about the club, the coaches and what we do that makes people better. We have five juniors in the Emerging Blues squad.

“Fifteen years ago Parramatta was a factory for developing players. We lost our way from 2010-2016 but we are now getting back to where we should be both on and off the field.

“That is the message I would like people to be reading about.”

Meeting that finally sealed Gutho deal

— Exclusive by Phil Rothfield

The Parramatta Eels have finally landed the signature of skipper Clint Gutherson on a three-year contract after months of tense negotiations.

The Daily Telegraph understands the deal is worth around the $2.3 million mark.

Gutherson’s manager Sam Ayoub met with Parramatta chairman Sean McElduff and general manager of football Mark O’Neill in a Leichhardt cafe on Friday.

It is understood the negotiations broke down at the meeting but the parties resumed talks on Friday night to finally agree on a deal.

Eels star Clint Gutherson’s new contract is worth around the $2.3 million mark. Picture: NRL Photos

Eels star Clint Gutherson’s new contract is worth around the $2.3 million mark. Picture: NRL Photos
It was a crucial signing for Parramatta a week after they lost Isaiah Papali’i to the Wests Tigers and Marata Niukore to the Warriors.

The club is now urgently trying to convince hooker Reed Mahoney and front-rower Junior Paulo to reject offers from rivals to stay.

The deal keeps the 27-year-old Gutherson at the club until the end of the 2025 season which will be his 10th season at the club.

In a statement the Eels said: “The Parramatta Eels are very pleased to announce that our full-back and captain Clint Gutherson has agreed to terms until the end of the 2025 season.”

Clint Gutherson is a crucial signing for Parramatta. Picture: Liam Kidston

Clint Gutherson is a crucial signing for Parramatta. Picture: Liam Kidston
Parramatta Eels General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill added: “We are delighted for Clint and his partner Jesse to remain part of the Eels.

“Clint is a key leader of the club and the energy and commitment he brings to work every day is unparalleled.

“Additionally, his on-field performances week in and week out are always at a consistently high level.”

One of the leading try-scorers in the team, Gutherson had 20 try assists and averaged 170 run metres this year.

Latest posts