What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah no doubt its 100x better then the 2011-2013 where every win was a struggle on top of off field dramas. b

But there have been some absolute bludger performances this year.

You can cop 1 maybe 2 horror games a season but we have dished up 4-5 and frustration is bubbling as it looks like another season of promise is slowly sinking towards a painful finish yet again.
I disagree. We’ve aimed up in every finals match with the exception of the Storm game following the Broncos demolition.

lingard

Coach
I think you mean 1962 ...Parra didn't play St George at Cumberland 63,64, or 65...I was at the 62 match and remember it so clearly. Parra won 19-8 with Peter Matson landing 5 goals. It was a Cumberland Oval record crowd at the time, almost 19000 in attendance.....PACKED TO THE RAFTERS, all coming to see Kenny Thornett - "I have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord".
We (me and my mates) finished our game in Auburn, ands drove over for the match - hoping we would be able to get in. Parra won the game to extend its unbeaten run to 8, which it increased to nine before The Mayor returned to Leeds to finish his contract. After he left, the team didn't win another game for the season - losing the last four in the home and away series, before going down to Wests 6-0 in the first semi final - the Club's first appearance in the premiership deciders...
Ken Thornett --WHAT A PLAYER - imo best ever to wear the Blue and Gold..(We were there weren't we brothers, we were there).
It must have been 1962, then, because I do remember Parra won. My first game. I went with my uncle and my father.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think you mean 1962 ...Parra didn't play St George at Cumberland 63,64, or 65...I was at the 62 match and remember it so clearly. Parra won 19-8 with Peter Matson landing 5 goals. It was a Cumberland Oval record crowd at the time, almost 19000 in attendance.....PACKED TO THE RAFTERS, all coming to see Kenny Thornett - "I have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord".
We (me and my mates) finished our game in Auburn, ands drove over for the match - hoping we would be able to get in. Parra won the game to extend its unbeaten run to 8, which it increased to nine before The Mayor returned to Leeds to finish his contract. After he left, the team didn't win another game for the season - losing the last four in the home and away series, before going down to Wests 6-0 in the first semi final - the Club's first appearance in the premiership deciders...
Ken Thornett --WHAT A PLAYER - imo best ever to wear the Blue and Gold..(We were there weren't we brothers, we were there).

I honestly cannot remember my first ever game at Cumberland. I was just a nipper when my dad used to take me to games.
My earliest memories are of me sitting on my dad's shoulders under the old tin shed on stilts commentary box to the left of the old grandstand.
I do however remember a St George game in particular. This would have been early 70's though. Could have even been late 60's.
It may have even been my first game ever. St George scored and some fans cheered, so I also cheered. I was standing down near the fence because it was close to the action. I could barely see over that white picket fence. Dad was standing up the back in his usual position. I remember that clearly. I thought I was on a winner cheering because St George scored.
At some stage after that, Parra scored and the noise was 10 fold. Well, it was for a star struck young kid anyway. The crowd wasn't huge, but it was then at that stage I was hooked on the Blue and Golds and I've been a tragic ever since.
My dad grew up in the Eastern Suburbs and played up to Under 23"s level for them. Then moved to Harris Park with mum when he married. We then all became Parra fans.

Last edited:
I honestly cannot remember my first ever game at Cumberland. I was just a nipper when my dad used to take me to games.
My earliest memories are of me sitting on my dad's shoulders under the old tin shed on stilts commentary box to the left of the old grandstand.

I reckon mine was August 9 1981 v Wests....but I would have sworn it was 1980...but B Kenny definitely played and we definitely won (which didn't happen in 1980). I went with my dad and grandfather some friend of the family who later ran off with my uncle's wife.

Eelogical

Referee
I reckon mine was August 9 1981 v Wests....but I would have sworn it was 1980...but B Kenny definitely played and we definitely won (which didn't happen in 1980). I went with my dad and grandfather some friend of the family who later ran off with my uncle's wife.
I was there too, standing room only. We smashed the f**kers, crowd was delirious. I recall Price coming to the sideline with a dislocated finger. Trainer merkin popped it back in, Pricey winced, turned around and went straight back on. You didn't rattle the Channel 7 commentary box atop the scaffolding, did ya?

Chipmunk

Coach
I never went to Cumberland Oval. I actually only went to 2 games at Parramatta Stadium. One in 1986 against Canterbury, and one (I think in 2017) against the Raiders. Never been to Wank Best.

The Predictor

Juniors
If you turn up and play your best you’re at least giving yourself a chance. Against a worse team you’ll win and against a better team you just need to hope they’re having an off day. Anything can happen. Get excited.
Get excited about a close loss in the semi finals? maybe you are too easily excited…..no expectations no disappointment this appears to be your mantra!!!

Eelogical

Referee
I never went to Cumberland Oval. I actually only went to 2 games at Parramatta Stadium. One in 1986 against Canterbury, and one (I think in 2017) against the Raiders. Never been to Wank Best.
There was a time in the early 80's where I was following Parra around the grounds. Cumberland, Leichhardt, Brookvale, Endeavour Field, SCG and Jubilee Oval. All had great atmospheres but nothing beat Cumberland when we were kicking arse.

hindy111

Post Whore
If you turn up and play your best you’re at least giving yourself a chance. Against a worse team you’ll win and against a better team you just need to hope they’re having an off day. Anything can happen. Get excited.

We miss a hard arse. Manu and KE where very under estimated in what they bought as far as aggression. Along with N.Brown in his peak. It was a wild pack.

I was there too, standing room only. We smashed the f**kers, crowd was delirious. I recall Price coming to the sideline with a dislocated finger. Trainer merkin popped it back in, Pricey winced, turned around and went straight back on. You didn't rattle the Channel 7 commentary box atop the scaffolding, did ya?

Nah, I was only 11 and we were on one of the hills behind the dead ball line.

Suitman

Post Whore
There was a time in the early 80's where I was following Parra around the grounds. Cumberland, Leichhardt, Brookvale, Endeavour Field, SCG and Jubilee Oval. All had great atmospheres but nothing beat Cumberland when we were kicking arse.

Wow. I did the same. I was in my teens and caught the train to everywhere. In the mid/late 70's and early 80's, the atmosphere at Cumberland was actually pretty good.
I also remember going to Penrith Park while it was still an Oval like Cumberland.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Get excited about a close loss in the semi finals?
How do you know what’s going to happen in the finals? Any financial adviser will tell you past performance is no guarantee of future results. That’s what’s exciting.
maybe you are too easily excited…..no expectations no disappointment this appears to be your mantra!!!
Don’t pretend you’re the one with high standards merkin. You’re the one with no expectations for this team. You’re just a f**king whinger who gives up easily.

Latest posts