What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

JokerEel

First Grade
Do you reckon that the terms of a player's/coaches contract don't affect how that contract is ultimately terminated?

Of course you can be fired in the middle of a contract. But there will be terms in the contract that stipulate what happens if one side elects to terminate the deal. In some cases that means that the individual who has been let go getting paid out the balance of their contract. In others it might mean three months pay, or the balance of the current year's contracted salary. All of this is behaviour specified in the contract.....this is exactly what the contracting parties agreed to. When you sign a coach on a 3 year contract, you are not agreeing to refrain from firing him for that period. You are agreeing to either a) employ him for 3 years, b) give him notice, and pay a specified amount of compensation determined by the reasons for termination and the time at which it occurs. All such contracts can also be terminated by mutual agreement.

And it is the fact that contracts are enforceable that means that teams who want to move a player on have to do so with the agreement of the player and an alternate employer. If a player wants to stand their ground, you have to pay them. You don't have to play them in the NRL.

So to summarise... Yes Contracts 😂

T-Boon

Coach
I am trying to watch this womens basketball World Cup game. I know I should be woke and say it’s good but wow they suck. Women are dreadful at basketball. I reckon 2 good men would beat any of these teams.

Bandwagon

Staff member
nah...couldnt support a team with Matterson in it. He's a dog.

Knowing that your club management has been shit for some time

Have you ever thought that the reason some players may have dogged your club

Has a fair bit to do with poor your management has been, and that maybe your ire is a tad misplaced.....

Bandwagon

Staff member
Do you reckon that the terms of a player's/coaches contract don't affect how that contract is ultimately terminated?

Of course you can be fired in the middle of a contract. But there will be terms in the contract that stipulate what happens if one side elects to terminate the deal. In some cases that means that the individual who has been let go getting paid out the balance of their contract. In others it might mean three months pay, or the balance of the current year's contracted salary. All of this is behaviour specified in the contract.....this is exactly what the contracting parties agreed to. When you sign a coach on a 3 year contract, you are not agreeing to refrain from firing him for that period. You are agreeing to either a) employ him for 3 years, b) give him notice, and pay a specified amount of compensation determined by the reasons for termination and the time at which it occurs. All such contracts can also be terminated by mutual agreement.

And it is the fact that contracts are enforceable that means that teams who want to move a player on have to do so with the agreement of the player and an alternate employer. If a player wants to stand their ground, you have to pay them. You don't have to play them in the NRL.

That's all well and good, but a contract can't enforce performance at any given level in elite sport, unless of course it specifies discernible kpi's, which I can't see any player agreeing to, given that'd effectively tie their payment to future form ( excluding of course conditions that would offer bonus' for things like rep selection which we know to be a thing )

So whilst the contract itself is obviously enforceable, that doesn't mean it's necessarily in the best interests of either party to enforce it. In this case if Papali'i really doesn't want to honour it, it might well be that the smartest thing the Tigers can do is take advantage of whatever leverage that offers to try and turn a shit situation to something less shit.

Tiger5150

Bench
Knowing that your club management has been shit for some time

Have you ever thought that the reason some players may have dogged your club

Has a fair bit to do with poor your management has been, and that maybe your ire is a tad misplaced.....

Two things can be true at once, we can be completely shit from top to bottom...AND Matterson can still be a dog. I think the fact that in 2019 he was told by his team mates to stay away from Mad Monday and his team mates were posting on Insta photos of them standing next to Matto cardboard cut outs and laughing "wish you were here" says volumes about him as a man. The fact that he played the "mental health" card to get out of his Contract tells me he is not a man at all....but a dog, in fact a weak gutted dog.

Doesnt detract from the fact that yes, in fact that Tigers are currently crap from top to bottom although i think I can see a faint light of hope. We are so crap that we just picked up our first wooden spoon, thats how bad we are. Sure its not as bad as consecutive woodens spoons or three in the last decade.....but yeah, pretty bad.

Peoples memories fade quickly dont they?

You do know Mark O'Neill is your CEO, no?

Tiger5150

Bench
That's all well and good, but a contract can't enforce performance at any given level in elite sport, unless of course it specifies discernible kpi's, which I can't see any player agreeing to, given that'd effectively tie their payment to future form ( excluding of course conditions that would offer bonus' for things like rep selection which we know to be a thing )

So whilst the contract itself is obviously enforceable, that doesn't mean it's necessarily in the best interests of either party to enforce it. In this case if Papali'i really doesn't want to honour it, it might well be that the smartest thing the Tigers can do is take advantage of whatever leverage that offers to try and turn a shit situation to something less shit.

Nahhhh he is coming whether he likes it or not.

If he puts in is up to him. He doesnt have to, but he will be on showcase wearing Black & Gold for three years and if he doesnt put in and be part of rebuilding, then he can look forward to more $250K Contracts like the one Parra offered him.

lucablight

First Grade
Two things can be true at once, we can be completely shit from top to bottom...AND Matterson can still be a dog. I think the fact that in 2019 he was told by his team mates to stay away from Mad Monday and his team mates were posting on Insta photos of them standing next to Matto cardboard cut outs and laughing "wish you were here" says volumes about him as a man. The fact that he played the "mental health" card to get out of his Contract tells me he is not a man at all....but a dog, in fact a weak gutted dog.

Doesnt detract from the fact that yes, in fact that Tigers are currently crap from top to bottom although i think I can see a faint light of hope. We are so crap that we just picked up our first wooden spoon, thats how bad we are. Sure its not as bad as consecutive woodens spoons or three in the last decade.....but yeah, pretty bad.

Mark O’Neill ain’t our CEO brah.

IFR33K

Coach

If only you blokes put the matto cardboard cut out on the field for 80 minutes this year….

‘He’ would of played with more ticker than your entire squad 😎

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure its not as bad as consecutive woodens spoons or three in the last decade.....but yeah, pretty bad.

These are symptoms of our old constitution that led to endless political infighting as soon as Overton lost control. Maybe you need some way to fix yours?

Bandwagon

Staff member

Nah.

You'll note around here there's plenty of us who know what shit club management looks like, you might even say we are very experienced when it comes to what that means, experts even.

As for fading memories, your club is founded upon the merger of 21 spoons, coming together in the spooniest spoon show of spooner history, the merger doesn't erase that.

Embrace your combined failure. It is your history, it's in your club DNA.

hindy111

Post Whore
Nahhhh he is coming whether he likes it or not.

If he puts in is up to him. He doesnt have to, but he will be on showcase wearing Black & Gold for three years and if he doesnt put in and be part of rebuilding, then he can look forward to more $250K Contracts like the one Parra offered him.

I don't see the fuss. He knew what was happening when he signed and should honour that. Tigers could of had a red hot crack at Fafita or Kikau. Avtualy that would be the only reason I could see them not letting Papali'i out is if they did have Fafita signed who would be an amazing purchase.
Other then that Papali'i should of thought it out better.

Tigers have some promising kids and will build a good side under Benji. He is just a winner. I see good thing in 2 or 3 years. I dont understand the hate towards this club either. I hate the Storm, Roosters,Brisbane. The big clubs who get all the favours and player discounts. Would love to see the Tigers on top again.

Latest posts