What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Wasn't 2018 when we had the AFL guy training us? Thought he would increase our endurance but all he did we f**k us up big time. Obviously there is no comparison between the two. Haven't we had Trent Elthan? (former Cronulla guy) since then and we've been in top 8 since?

Well whoever was training us in 2018 thought it would be a good idea to have a 40 min warmup on a hot day at Brookie.

Season never recovered from that point.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what does a leadership coach actually do ?

Selwood joins Storm as Leadership Coach​

Melbourne Storm today announced the appointment of the Geelong Cats four-time Premiership winning captain, Joel Selwood, as the Club’s new Leadership Coach.
The longest-serving captain in VFL/AFL history will start in his new role with Storm in January but has already immersed himself into the Storm program at AAMI Park.

Selwood, who retired from playing after September’s grand final win against Sydney, said he was excited to be joining the club he has admired for a long time.
“I’m really excited to be joining Storm. I’ve been watching them and been in envy of what the club has been able to achieve for a long time,” Selwood said.
“When the opportunity come up, I saw it as a great chance to get involved in something a bit different in an environment that is so well run.
“I was impressed with the presentation Frank and Craig made and have already been welcomed at the club when I visited AAMI Park earlier this week. I can’t wait to meet the rest of the playing group and getting into the season.” Selwood said.
Storm General Manager Football, Frank Ponissi, said Selwood has already impressed with his interest to learn more about the Club.
“Joel is an impressive person and has shown he has outstanding leadership qualities as Captain of the Cats over a long period of time,” Ponissi said.
“We were particularly impressed with his humility and eagerness to learn, which was no surprise given what we knew about him and from the feedback we got from those we spoke to through the process, including Simon Lloyd at the Cats.
“We knew our two clubs had a lot of similarities, not just in sustained success but the values we each hold, and Joel has been a constant driver of those values for a long time.
“His leadership qualities and values off the field are just as impressive and have been very well documented over the years which was also very important to us in speaking to Joel about this role.” Ponissi said.

Ponissi said Selwood’s role will involve mentoring Storm’s current leaders and emerging leaders, while also supporting the Club’s next Captain/s who are yet to be appointed.
Having played 355 AFL games and being names All-Australian six times, Selwood is not the first AFL Captain to take on the leadership role with Storm, with former Collingwood captain, Nick Maxwell, filling the role successfully for six years from 2015.
The leadership position become vacant following the announcement by Storm Assistant Coach, Stephen Kearney, that he would be moving back to Queensland to be closer to his family.
“Mooks has made an enormous contribution to our club over a very long period of time. He leaves very big shoes to fill, particularly in mentoring and teaching our leaders, but we know Joel will be the perfect fit for us in the future.” Ponissi said.

lucablight

First Grade
The Daily Telegraph's David Riccio echoed Bishop's statement on the same program, confirming his doubts over Moses' future in a blue-and-gold jersey.

“I received a call that suggested there is no way in the world that Mitchell Moses will be there in 2024,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

Avenger

Immortal
Riccio is the same guy that said Matterson was leaving for the Dolphins and that Papali’i would remain at Parra because we had the funds to keep him.

In any event the offer is massive from the Tigers (apparently north of $1.4m). There is no chance I’d try and match that. $1m is enough. Maybe some incremental increases should the cap keep rising but that’s it. The Tigers are desperate and think that Moses will go well with Brooks at the scrumbase. And all this talk about wanting him for 2023 is an obvious swap with Doueihi because if he does sign with the Tigers in 2024 I’d suggest his immediate situation with us will be untenable. Just like when they released him early to us back in 2017.

He has form for it. I still think he will stay and will be mad if he leaves for that basket case of a club.

Cloeel

Juniors
Riccio is the same guy that said Matterson was leaving for the Dolphins and that Papali’i would remain at Parra because we had the funds to keep him.

In any event the offer is massive from the Tigers (apparently north of $1.4m). There is no chance I’d try and match that. $1m is enough. Maybe some incremental increases should the cap keep rising but that’s it. The Tigers are desperate and think that Moses will go well with Brooks at the scrumbase. And all this talk about wanting him for 2023 is an obvious swap with Doueihi because if he does sign with the Tigers in 2024 I’d suggest his immediate situation with us will be untenable. Just like when they released him early to us back in 2017.

He has form for it. I still think he will stay and will be mad if he leaves for that basket case of a club.

If he stays it means we have been bent over. Moses wants the money (So he should, he is 28) - I am expecting him to be in either a Tigers or Bulldogs jersey come 2024; possibly even 2023 if we can find a suitable replacement.

The Daily Telegraph's David Riccio echoed Bishop's statement on the same program, confirming his doubts over Moses' future in a blue-and-gold jersey.

“I received a call that suggested there is no way in the world that Mitchell Moses will be there in 2024,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

Also reported in the following article and some stuff about Dylan Brown too.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Weren’t they in their air conditioned sheds until the last possible moment while we were out on the field because it was cooler out there?

Manly definitely warmed up on the field. Maybe not as long to the minute but we weren't out there for an extraordinary amount longer. Poor excuse for a poor season, but we have to scapegoat something 4 years later I guess

Eelementary

Post Whore

You mean you received a call from his agent, telling you that to:

(1) further push your agenda ; and

(2) drive his client's price further higher?

Why don't you just shut the hell up, you Parramatta-hating i4mbecile? (Michelle Bishop, not lucablight).

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Manly definitely warmed up on the field. Maybe not as long to the minute but we weren't out there for an extraordinary amount longer. Poor excuse for a poor season, but we have to scapegoat something 4 years later I guess
It’s no excuse for the season but definitely explains why we were so poor on the day. If we were only on the field five minutes longer than them it means we spent five minutes less than they did in the change room, which for us had no air conditioning.

Stevie

Bench
I’m quite agnostic to the whole contract saga tbh. I can’t see Moses leaving at all, it’s his team, he is well looked after and as was said unless it’s half a mill a year more then no way he goes. Just my opinion.

I also think Brown will stay, I can see him doing like a 2 year deal.

Eelogical

Referee
I’m quite agnostic to the whole contract saga tbh. I can’t see Moses leaving at all, it’s his team, he is well looked after and as was said unless it’s half a mill a year more then no way he goes. Just my opinion.

I also think Brown will stay, I can see him doing like a 2 year deal.
There was a time when I would allow this shit to worry me. But now, I just go with the flow. Rumours, stories, click-bait - it's all dribble in the grand scheme of things. We're not privy to the inner workings, nor can we do anything about it. I have no idea whether either or both players will head out of town. I hope they stay but I'm not going to get worked up about player movements anymore. However, I think the NRL should seriously look at the elephant in the room and enact a plan that will stop all this nonsense.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
There was a time when I would allow this shit to worry me. But now, I just go with the flow. Rumours, stories, click-bait - it's all dribble in the grand scheme of things. We're not privy to the inner workings, nor can we do anything about it. I have no idea whether either or both players will head out of town. I hope they stay but I'm not going to get worked up about player movements anymore. However, I think the NRL should seriously look at the elephant in the room and enact a plan that will stop all this nonsense.
I’m with you mate. Go back a few years and I would definitely be getting worked up. Essentially the club will cop some flak should one or both leave. But I look at it like this… we will be absolutely cashed up to jump back on the player merry-go-round the following year. Provided we aren’t paying huge overs anymore, we should never be too far away from being competitive.