What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

To be honest I don't think Mahoney was good enough to make the right decisions a lot of the time. Most of this came down to lack of experience.

We will lose some defensive work rate with Hodgson, I suspect others may cover some of this slack though, most notably probably Hopgood, but we will gain some footy smarts that I don't think was in Mahoney's game at this stage of his career.

I am too. I think it could potentially complete our attack. Our main criticism of Mahoney was not engaging the markers enough. Hodgo does that in spades, to the point he copped criticism for it. But he might just get the balancing act absolutely perfect here.
Yeah good points both. Which would also explain the lack of desperation to keep Mahoney.

Pazza

First Grade
d
I am too. I think it could potentially complete our attack. Our main criticism of Mahoney was not engaging the markers enough. Hodgo does that in spades, to the point he copped criticism for it. But he might just get the balancing act absolutely perfect here.

I am really looking forward to watching hodgson, matto, jnr and hopgood using their skill around the ruck next year. Hopefully Barrett can get a nice interchange of passing that allows us to attack space.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You want to see more space balls?

Spaceballs (Quote-a-long) - Film | Park Circus

Bandwagon

Staff member
Just on Dylan, does anyone agree with me that his $800k / year contract was very generously based on potential and that 2022 was his first bang for buck year ? If ever a player "owes us" I reckon Dylan does. Not that his gen particularly gives any f**ks in this regard.

Ok boomer.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
To be honest I don't think Mahoney was good enough to make the right decisions a lot of the time. Most of this came down to lack of experience.

We will lose some defensive work rate with Hodgson, I suspect others may cover some of this slack though, most notably probably Hopgood, but we will gain some footy smarts that I don't think was in Mahoney's game at this stage of his career.
Yep, Mahoney had plenty of skill, but that’s not the same thing as footy smarts even though they often go together.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I’m sure Cam Smith got paid halfback money. It’s not about your position so much as your role and importance in the team. There’s no reason the dummy half can’t run the show. After all he is the first decision maker on nearly every play. He doesn’t always need one of the halfbacks telling him which way to send the ball.

He does if he does though.

How many blokes are there at nine who don't?

Bandwagon

Staff member
If you don’t record it you are breaking the law. That’s potentially jail time rather than just NRL sanctions.

If you don't bring it up in a board meeting, it don't need to be in the minutes.

But then when you've got a bunch of shitmerkins vying for control, who maybe want it in the minutes.....

And you're not the only one. Look at the difference between the critics and the audience scores. Bloody snobs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you don't bring it up in a board meeting, it don't need to be in the minutes.

But then when you've got a bunch of shitmerkins vying for control, who maybe want it in the minutes.....
Don’t forget the Storm had two sets of books. If the club is funnelling money to players through intermediaries it needs to be recorded. The only safe way is relying on kickbacks from genuinely arms length supporters with money to burn. Whether they exist or not is out of the club’s hands.