What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Bloke in the bar podcast made an interesting point about Papa.

Papa was good, and took a lot of runs.

We obviously have to offset his attacking contribution with other players (I reckon his edge defence is poor, thus we probably improve there with the replacement).

However on the same edge we also have Will P, who is still young and developing. He is quite a stronger runner of the ball. His improvement/more experience could offset some of the attack Papa provided……even though we did use Will in some nice set plays (raiders / Storm games), we can made Will more the attacking point on that edge.

Thus we don’t necessarily need Papa’s replacement to be as good as him, as we can offset his contribution.

yy_cheng

Coach

We obviously have to offset his attacking contribution with other players (I reckon his edge defence is poor, thus we probably improve there with the replacement).

However on the same edge we also have Will P, who is still young and developing. He is quite a stronger runner of the ball. His improvement/more experience could offset some of the attack Papa provided……even though we did use Will in some nice set plays (raiders / Storm games), we can made Will more the attacking point on that edge.

Thus we don’t necessarily need Papa’s replacement to be as good as him, as we can offset his contribution.
It's a hard one iPappa.

I still think we shouldn't have gone so long with 2 props who will be ageing in a few years time.

I still think we should've gone

iPappa + Jnr (one young hard runner and one offloader) and move iPappa to the middle

I like RCG but maybe for only 2 years.

iPappa + RCG (no Jnr) would've been ok too but I would like Jnr's other skills

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hopefully the new guys, and some of the old, step up and Makapillow gets relegated well down the list, just no impact from him imo. Apparently Asi injured but would think he is the utility when fit and not JA.

I like Makatoa's motor - he will run all day, and tackle all day.

He's just not very good at either, imo.

But there's a reason he's not on mega bucks.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Papali'i is a bloody good runner of the ball, but doesn't have an offload, a d can be lazy in defence.

I'm glad we kept Lane - he's a better overall player, imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He is perfect guy to be about no 19-20 in squad.
At full strength not in. But a few injuries amd he's in.

I'd be happy with that.

But he seems to get a fair bit of First Grade time.

If he became a more dominant defender (like Alvaro was for us), developed an offload, or ran harder, he'd have earned a bench spot.

But he's 18th/19th man territory, who gets more First Grade than he probably needs to imo.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd be happy with that.

But he seems to get a fair bit of First Grade time.

If he became a more dominant defender (like Alvaro was for us), developed an offload, or ran harder, he'd have earned a bench spot.

But he's 18th/19th man territory, who gets more First Grade than he probably needs to imo.

Wasn't he the guy Pou talked up? What a plodder Alvaro was.
Makatoa thing is he has a big engine. He can do a job. But yes working in an offload would help his game.

Snoochies

First Grade

In-demand Eels star Mitchell Moses plans to have future sorted before round 1​

He’s the most sought after player on the market, but speculation around Mitch Moses’ future should be over within weeks.

Mitch Moses’ teammates jokingly stood around as he did interviews on Tuesday afternoon hoping to catch some breaking news, but the Eels halfback was tight-lipped about his future that he hopes to have sorted in the next few weeks.
The flashy playmaker is the most sought after player on the market, with the Wests Tigers reportedly willing to break the bank to lure him back to the club that handed him his NRL debut.

Mitch Moses wants to sort out his future within the next four weeks. Picture: Richard Dobson
Moses and the Tigers parted ways midway through the 2017 season and it wasn’t the cleanest break-up, which is why the 28-year-old has taken a mature approach to the current contract situation.

He still has an option in his favour to stay at the Eels in 2024, but his preference is to get a deal sorted before the beaten grand finalists open the season against the Storm on March 2.

“I would like it done before the start of the year,” Moses told the NCA NewsWire.

“I’ve left everything up to my manager so all my focus has been on the new season. I’ve got full trust in him that he can do what he thinks is best to make sure I can play my best footy.

“I told him to do all the talking and look after all the meetings, and when he’s ready, he can let me know.

“I think I’ve handled this situation a lot better than what I have in the past. I’m fully focused on Parramatta and coming to training where I can rip in with the boys.

“Hopefully, everything else sorts itself out before the new year.”

Dylan Brown and Moses combined to take the Eels to last year’s grand final. Picture: NRL Photos
This is the biggest decision Moses has had to make in his footy journey, with the Eels desperate to keep him after seeing what he and halves partner Dylan Brown were able to achieve last year.

The pair took Parramatta to its first grand final since 2009, and while they were well beaten by Penrith, there is a firm belief out west that they can compete for the next few titles if they can retain the core of their squad.

That was helped in December when Brown signed a unique extension, and the five-eighth hopes Moses will be there alongside him for many years to come.

“I don’t really have a pitch for him, but my main focus is to play good footy which will allow him to play good footy. We all owe it to him because he’s done so much for us as a team,” Brown said.

“I feel like if we continue to play the way that we have been playing then he won’t want to leave – whether that’s for money or any other reason. He loves Parra and we want him to stay.”