What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Legal Eel

Juniors
The board don't want someone who could teach them things about rugby league they didn't even know.

Wayne Bennett - to use an old cliché - has forgotten more about rugby league, than those dopes on the board will ever know.
Girdler says that if you ask the parra fans they will tell you they want to win a title….that statement will be proven incorrect if you ask Pou or Gronk and others have confirmed they are not concerned whether parra win another comp or not

I think our fans are the problem as the board clearly doesn’t feel pressure to win a comp as they know many of our fans are just happy to have a team in the nrl and don’t really care if we win or lose

somehow the board needs to get the message that a premiership is the actual ultimate goal - and pre-empting the troll response, yes I WOULD think the board would know that, but evidence shows they clearly don’t

eels_fan

First Grade
You know what, I’ll say what I reckon 99% of eels fans think but won’t say:

I don’t give a flying f**k if our pathways are stuffed for 5 years because Bennett came in, with a premiership at all costs mentality - and wins us a comp.

I’ll take a premiership and then a couple of leaner years over another 5-6 years of being an fringe top 8 team that is never in the hunt to win the title

it’s been 38 years ffs

I want a premiership AT ANY COST

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The man has coached over 1,084 games in his career to date, and won over 650 of them.

Brad Arthur could only dream of such a winning percentage.

Not to mention the fact he has bought a lot of good will by winning 7 Premierships (from 10 attempts, by the way).
His career has been very different since 2006 compared to before it. Something he said after that premiership win struck me as odd. He mentioned it was the most satisfying win of his career basically because the team was weak compared to previous premiership sides. That team had nine players picked in Origin that year and it was weaker than historical Broncos squads? It shows how massively resourced the Broncos were in the beginning. But it also shows that by 2006 something had happened to reduce their ability to accumulate playing talent. They were still far better than most clubs but not how they used to be.

It just so happens that 2006 was close to the midpoint of Wayne Bennett's career, and the two halves (pre- and post-2004/5) have yielded very different results, including in his second stint at the Broncos:

YearsNumber of seasonsNumber of clubsWin rateGrand finalsPremierships
1987-200418265%65
2005-202318658%42

But he is obviously a great coach, certainly better than Brad Arthur's. He would definitely be good for our club, and win more games than Arthur would have, but I don't think Bennett would 'fix' anything. He would just improve our chances while he was here.

King-Gutho94

Coach

I don’t give a flying f**k if our pathways are stuffed for 5 years because Bennett came in, with a premiership at all costs mentality - and wins us a comp.

I’ll take a premiership and then a couple of leaner years over another 5-6 years of being an fringe top 8 team that is never in the hunt to win the title

it’s been 38 years ffs

1 premiership will change the club forever.

It will end the fact that just one generation has won premierships in nearly 80 years of our existence. So we will have a new generation of premiership winners.

It will cleanse my soul and let me die a happy man no matter what if I see 1 premiership.

It will also get rid of all the jokes and shit you cop from mates of opposite teams that I have never seen my team win a premiership while they have.

It will inspire another generation of fans to get behind the club and not feel like we are supporting a lost cause.

It's time To Make Parramatta Great Again.

Unfortunately our board seem happy with being steady and lack that ruthlessness that flows onto recruitment, coaching and on field performances.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Girdler says that if you ask the parra fans they will tell you they want to win a title….that statement will be proven incorrect if you ask Pou or Gronk and others have confirmed they are not concerned whether parra win another comp or not
You've obviously asked Pou and Gronk directly.

Or you assume we believe, as you do, that we are incapable of winning premierships without blowing the place up and starting again. And you also assume that, despite us believing we need to do this thing you think we need to do to win the comp, that we don't want the club to do it anyway.

Do you see the level of projection required for you to think myself and Gronk don't care if we win another grand final?

Happy MEel

First Grade
His career has been very different since 2006 compared to before it. Something he said after that premiership win struck me as odd. He mentioned it was the most satisfying win of his career basically because the team was weak compared to previous premiership sides. That team had nine players picked in Origin that year and it was weaker than historical Broncos squads? It shows how massively resourced the Broncos were in the beginning. But it also shows that by 2006 something had happened to reduce their ability to accumulate playing talent. They were still far better than most clubs but not how they used to be.

It just so happens that 2006 was close to the midpoint of Wayne Bennett's career, and the two halves (pre- and post-2004/5) have yielded very different results, including in his second stint at the Broncos:

1987-200418265%65
2005-202318658%42

But he is obviously a great coach, certainly better than Brad Arthur's. He would definitely be good for our club, and win more games than Arthur would have, but I don't think Bennett would 'fix' anything. He would just improve our chances while he was here.
Winning more games is a “fix” of sorts.

the phantom menace

First Grade

it’s been 38 years ffs

Yep - even though I was alive for our premiership wins (and saw three of them live), we've been holding on through such a long wait that if we get that next one then I'm out.

Bring the f**ker on!

Legal Eel

Juniors
N
You've obviously asked Pou and Gronk directly.

Or you assume we believe, as you do, that we are incapable of winning premierships without blowing the place up and starting again. And you also assume that, despite us believing we need to do this thing you think we need to do to win the comp, that we don't want the club to do it anyway.

Do you see the level of projection required for you to think myself and Gronk don't care if we win another grand final?
Rubbish - anyone who can read knows you couldn’t care less if parra win a comp…in fact, your life only has meaning if they don’t

Happy MEel

First Grade
It is but I don’t think it’ll be significant. And if our squad is in decline until 2026 it won’t lead to a premiership before then.

But I still hope he comes. If he does it will mean my concerns about the squad are unfounded. I will have been pissing my knickers for nothing!
Mine too. I reckon we have a few holes that need filling (again that’s not a euphemism)

Eelementary

Post Whore

1987-200418265%65
2005-202318658%42

I think that's what we need, though - improve our chances in the short to medium term, build us back up to be an attractive place for players, and sponsors, to flock to, and then hire someone else to fix the club.

Arthur has been a great, loyal servant to this club, but he has reached the peak of his abilities - I find it puzzling that a coach the calibre of Wayne Bennett expresses interest, and we choose not to look into it, to remain loyal to Brad.

It's admirable, sure - but also baffling. Chances like this don't come around often.