What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
The world's richest sporting organisation, resources beyond imagination, a fan base spanning America with a billion dollar stadium. 110,000 seat they sell out every game. Hasn't won a super bowl since 1995
NFL is still restricted by the draft.

Plus there are 32 teams.

And a lot depends on how far you go with the QB.

You could be stuck with an above average one like Romo for a decade who continually choked in the playoffs.

And now Dak is going down a similar route.

Mahomes and Brady only come around once a generation and the Pats/Chiefs have lucked in with dynasties.

Pazza

First Grade

Plus there are 32 teams.

You could be stuck with an above average one like Romo for a decade who continually choked in the playoffs.

Mahomes and Brady only come around once a generation and the Pats/Chiefs have lucked in with dynasties.

So success has a lot more to it than just resources???

I'm glad you bought up kansis city cause they are going to prove the only resources that matter are human. KC went after Andy reid when he was sacked from philadelphia and they aggressively traded up in the draft to select patrick mahomes. These two have bought KC, which was pretty average franchise, 3 superbowls since 2019.

If you just wanna say 'resources' then that can apply in a sport where theres no cap like the epl.

But the nrl has a cap and a handful of good operators in the front office and the coaching box should be enough.

Plus there are 32 teams.

These are all very easy assessments to make with the benefit of hindsight. Whether Romo choked in the playoffs or simply lost games is a matter of opinion that quickly becomes fact if enough armchair experts like us repeat it. You can give yourself the best possible chance each season, but it is more likely than not in any given season that you will lose. The magic is in working out why you lost....and there are lots of variables at play. People who decide 'oh it's the coach' or 'oh its the QB' may well be right. But they may also be crazy. And it just may be a lunatic..... But seriously hindsight is relevant but the average Joe never understands or thinks about the odds of winning a title in a given year. They understandably just think about their team. Their are X other bunches of merkins thinking the same about their chaps. Anyway, rant over.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Plus there are 32 teams.

Mahomes, and Brady, are so good, that - even though they had some very good players around them -, they carried some very average teammates to Super Bowl wins.

King-Gutho94

Coach
So success has a lot more to it than just resources???

I'm glad you bought up kansis city cause they are going to prove the only resources that matter are human. KC went after Andy reid when he was sacked from philadelphia and they aggressively traded up in the draft to select patrick mahomes. These two have bought KC, which was pretty average franchise, 3 superbowls since 2019.

If you just wanna say 'resources' then that can apply in a sport where theres no cap like the epl.

But the nrl has a cap and a handful of good operators in the front office and the coaching box should be enough.
I do find it ironic that the KC Trade for that draft pick to get Mahomes was from Buffalo.

Who Mahomes & KC have tormented for the past 4 years in playoffs.

Yep Kansas City is a city no one really knows much about tbh. What tourists go there so that doesn't bring in corporate dollars that the big cities of America would.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Mahomes, and Brady, are so good, that - even though they had some very good players around them -, they carried some very average teammates to Super Bowl wins.
I would argue some coaches as well have been found out as average frauds that had left the Belichick/Brady partnership in New England and became HC for other franchises based on the NE winning super bowls. And destroyed some franchises.

Reminds me of Kearney getting the gig here based off being Bellamy's lap dog.

Pazza

First Grade
I do find it ironic that the KC Trade for that draft pick to get Mahomes was from Buffalo.

Who Mahomes & KC have tormented for the past 4 years in playoffs.

Yep Kansas City is a city no one really knows much about tbh. What tourists go there so that doesn't bring in corporate dollars that the big cities of America would.

poor buffalo... but who knew mahones was going to be the best QB since Brady. he ran an air raid offense at texas tech. i swear i remember people thought he ws a bit of a project player. Hes so fortunate to have landed with Reid.

I remember listening to a Philadelphia eagles podcast and they invited a reporter from KC to talk about the SuperBowl and the kelce brothers etc i remember the KC reporter saying if he re-winded 20 years he could have never imagined KC being perennial superbowl contenders with pop/hollywood royalty attending their games. they where just an average team from middle america for most of their history. did a group of sheiks from the middle east buy the club??? no. they nailed the head coach hiring when they bought in Andy reid and then they nailed the draft.

the most important resources are human. you can have all the money, buildings, hype, marketing, fancy stadiums etc but if Jerry Jones is running the joint you aint winning anything.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The world's richest sporting organisation, resources beyond imagination, a fan base spanning America with a billion dollar stadium. 110,000 seat they sell out every game. Hasn't won a super bowl since 1995

Crazy what a salary cap does isn't it?

Prevents teams from just doing a Man City and buying titles.

A shame for us, given we are one of the bigger clubs, have a great turnover, and made significant profit last year. If only we could buy our way out of trouble.

Unfortunately the resources we are lacking are similar to Dallas' ones.... wrong people in the wrong places off the field

Pazza

First Grade
Crazy what a salary cap does isn't it?

Prevents teams from just doing a Man City and buying titles.

A shame for us, given we are one of the bigger clubs, have a great turnover, and made significant profit last year. If only we could buy our way out of trouble.

Unfortunately the resources we are lacking are similar to Dallas' ones.... wrong people in the wrong places off the field

exactly.... jim sarantinos, mark o'neill and brad arthur are nobodies

have you seen Jerry Jones saying dallas is 'all in' this off season and has proceeded to do minimal. while the eagles have been extending players, signing free agents, trades, having a good draft. i love the drama of the nfl off season lol .

Stevie

Bench
Watching other games of late, I find myself really focused on the back 3 for most teams.
In admiration mostly. But most teams really have outstanding athleticism bringing the ball back. I really liked Canberra tonight, a few mistakes but they play hard!
Jeez I think some astute wingers would change us. Most of the guys I watched were note superstars either. Just very simple catch and drive hard off sets. Go looking for hit ups.

Legal Eel

Juniors
Watching other games of late, I find myself really focused on the back 3 for most teams.
In admiration mostly. But most teams really have outstanding athleticism bringing the ball back. I really liked Canberra tonight, a few mistakes but they play hard!
Jeez I think some astute wingers would change us. Most of the guys I watched were note superstars either. Just very simple catch and drive hard off sets. Go looking for hit ups.
Wingers that run hard and have speed and know when to jam in more often than not - we have rarely had that outside of semi for a decade.

but fear not, this isn’t the fault of the coaching staff or management or admin, it’s just luck and resources that we couldn’t get one of these reasonably priced and competent wingers year after year

Last edited:

Legal Eel

Juniors
Wingers that run hard and have speed and know when to jam in more often than not - we have rarely had that outside of semi for a decade.

but fear not, this isn’t the fault of the coaching staff or management or admin, it’s just luck and resources that we couldn’t get one of these reasonably priced and completely wingers year after year
Get ready for a stat barrage as to why our wingers are effective as everyone else, despite what everyone can see with their eyes….

Eelementary

Post Whore
I would argue some coaches as well have been found out as average frauds that had left the Belichick/Brady partnership in New England and became HC for other franchises based on the NE winning super bowls. And destroyed some franchises.

Reminds me of Kearney getting the gig here based off being Bellamy's lap dog.

Absolutely!

I know that all too well - Josh McDaniels coached my beloved Raiders...

Legal Eel

Juniors
On a separate note, I am hearing it would be a remarkable turnaround if Talagi were to stay at Parra as his camp are off the club and think that parra is not the place to develop.

Parra have offered more than anyone but it still isn’t moving the needle apparently.

I am getting this second or even third hand so I hope it isn’t true

the phantom menace

First Grade
Financial resources?
Human resources?
Training and rehabilitation facilities?
Corporate partnerships??

You need to be more precise in what your saying. Just saying resources is too ambiguous
He even seems to try to use "resources" to cover playing and coaching resources when it suits - to somehow deflect criticism of poor delivery of the players' and coach's responsibilities?

#uselessbuzzword