What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

the phantom menace

First Grade
Nsw team has “leaked”

no Eels as expectedView attachment 88682
To be honest, the starting 13 kick of picked itself... nothing too controversial there. Good to see the end of the Tedesco era.

Same with the bench picks for that matter, pretty logical. I guess the only spots up for grabs/open for some left field picks were 18, 19, 20... and looks like the leak only goes up to 19.

Queensland by 14.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Anyone have a copy of Shelleys recent post? Might be worth a read given it was withdrawn apparently.
The Wayback Machine archived it:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To say that I’m disappointed with the events of this week is a massive understatement.

Over the decades that I’ve supported the Eels, I have watched time and time again as board members, CEOs and football staff have said one thing and delivered something completely different.

I thought we had moved past those times.

I was wrong.

Brad Arthur was told, and believed, that he had the support of the club as the challenges of this season unfolded. When questioned by the media about speculation concerning his future, he said multiple times, and with conviction, that the club continued to back him.

Meanwhile, as the club has now stated, they were secretly making overtures to secure Wayne Bennett. Unsuccessfully so.

In my opinion, this was a poor course of action. How will club stakeholders now view any statement that the Eels make?

For these stakeholders – junior players, parents, senior players, agents, corporate partners, members and the media – credibility would have been damaged if not lost.

I have been and continue to be a supporter of Brad Arthur and his coaching. That said, there has been divided opinion in the stands, and even within my own family, as to whether BA still had the capacity to extract the best from his players.

Regardless of their different stances, those within my family and circle of supporters have something that has unified us all. It is our shock at how this decision and process has been handled.

So, based on the official media presentation, the current plan from the Eels is to press on in 2024 with an incomplete and unbalanced squad, with a rebuild to follow spearheaded by those who were responsible for assembling that squad.

E32D314B-6D0D-4485-A03C-F0F3ED91642C-768x388.jpeg

Sean McElduff and Jim Sarantinos at the official media conference

Let’s now talk rugby league realities.

The positive reality is that the Parramatta Eels is a major Australian sports brand. That makes it an easy sell to players or even a coach.

As a big club, the list of pluses is extensive. The Eels are financially kicking goals with a full book of corporate partners and year upon year of record memberships. The home ground is a world class stadium. The supporter base is the envy of many clubs. A spectacular centre of excellence is under construction with a finish date of early 2025. Finally, the club boasts a large junior catchment area and is backed by a thriving leagues club.

Clearly there are people within the organisation who are intelligent and successful.

But here’s the problem. The perception of the club is now at a low point. They’ve just sacked a coach in a manner that has been widely criticised. They have admitted to secretly pursuing and failing to secure their target for a replacement coach. And the team is sliding down the ladder.

All of this equates to the fate bestowed on every struggling club – paying overs to attract recruits.

But it’s all good because I’m informed that the club will scour the world in search of the best coaching replacement and of course that will solve the roster issues.

Whether fans agree with parting ways with BA or not is quite separate to my concerns about the way members and even players found out about this decision, the reasons presented at the press conference and the lack of a visible plan moving forward. Remember, they are saying that the roster is fine.

How does it help the confidence of the fans when club leaders reveal that they’ve missed their target coach, lied to the current coach and supporters in the process, and all of that with a future plan of basically “trust us”.

Ironically, the one man in the club who has a history of leadership and fronting the media during the toughest times has been shown the door in an unseemly manner.

I hope the media continues to pursue certain facts so that supporters get genuine answers to associated questions. For me it’s all about accountability.

1 Parramatta has had an incomplete and unbalanced roster for the last two seasons. The club cannot point the finger at the coach for having an incomplete list. How can a team be successful without a full top 30? Brad Arthur was paid to coach, not to negotiate deals with potential recruits, especially mid season.

2 The loss of talented juniors has not waned. It has happened at all levels, from before they should be playing junior reps, to during their time in pathways, to just after they debut in first grade. Fans understand aggressive poaching from other clubs and the inevitability that you can’t keep them all. Does that excuse cover all of the losses, especially some recent departures?

3 The public statement was that the progress of the NRL team has stalled. This was apparently all down to the head coach. Will anybody else accept responsibility?

I have been a lifelong fan. I travel an extended distance to watch the team that I am passionate about. My family signed up for membership in 2016 when our club was at its lowest. I went to every single home game during the 2018 wooden spoon season. I donated my membership in 2020.

Hard times have come with the territory of being an Eels fan. I’m not alone in that regard. But this week pushed some limits.

I found out about BA while watching the news. I then went and checked my emails expecting one to be there with an explanation and a plan for the future. Nothing! I received no email from the club until the news was all over the media.

Looking for an explanation, I turned to the Eels official website only to find a harsh, cold and obviously hastily put out statement. This statement was later revised once the club got some backlash. It was, after all, incredibly disrespectful.

Why was there such a rush to sack BA after the club failed to secure their coaching target? Who thought that this was the best course of action?

14704F11-2FAE-476B-B4EB-58FA0A37AFFE.jpeg

Brad Arthur on Fox Sports

Furthermore, why were many of the players informed via text message, and why did members find out watching the news?

I have little doubt that this course of action has thrown the club into damage control mode, both publicly and internally. All stakeholders deserve accountability, because in all likelihood the decisions and actions taken will set the football club back for some time on multiple levels.

I will go on Saturday night to support my club, the club I love. I will wear my colurs but it will be with a little less pride. Actually,

I am not at all proud of my club this week.

No matter the result against Souths, I will also be at our home game against the Sharks on Thursday week. I will cheer for my team and continue to support them wholeheartedly. It doesn’t mean that I don’t fear for the future.

No matter your opinion of BA, he loved our club, cared for its future and never shied from the tough questions. Even in the current circumstances he has refused to speak against the Eels, even after the totality of accountability was directed at him.

Brad Arthur has been nothing but gracious and grateful in his statements. You can’t say the same about other sacked coaches who have returned fire after being dismissed.

Finally, and sincerely, thank you Brad. I wish you only the best for your future, including winning a premiership.

My advice to BA would be simple. In selecting your future club, remember the words of the immortal Jack Gibson.

“Winning starts in the front office”.

Shelley
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Here you go mate.
Nothing disappears from the interweb.

ffs

the phantom menace

First Grade
The Wayback Machine archived it:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To say that I’m disappointed with the events of this week is a massive understatement.

Over the decades that I’ve supported the Eels, I have watched time and time again as board members, CEOs and football staff have said one thing and delivered something completely different.

I thought we had moved past those times.

I was wrong.
Seems to me the article might have been pulled because Shelley comes across as a bit too much of a BA-fan girl nutter?

eels_fan

First Grade
Here’s a good stat

in 11 games this year we have already conceded 10 more points than Penrith conceded in total last year including the qualifying final and prelim final. By Thursday night we’ll have conceded more in 12 games than their entire premiership run.

good effort boys

Last edited:

Parra Pride

Referee
Here’s a good stat

in 11 games this year we have already conceded 10 more points than Penrith conceded in total last year including the qualifying final and prelim final. By Thursday night we’ll have conceded more in 12 games than their entire premiership run.

good effort boys
Hold on a minute, that's not a good stat at all!

Latest posts