What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Stevie

Bench
I kind of like the idea of Gutho to 5/8. He is very crafty and a total competitor. I could see him shifting the ball very well and obviously he is very safe defensively out wide.
f**k it, let’s have an “unofficial “ conversation with Hammer who from my understanding is on not much. Let’s throw him Dyl’s 900k per year and if we end up with Hannay who knows…

JokerEel

Coach
I kind of like the idea of Gutho to 5/8. He is very crafty and a total competitor. I could see him shifting the ball very well and obviously he is very safe defensively out wide.
f**k it, let’s have an “unofficial “ conversation with Hammer who from my understanding is on not much. Let’s throw him Dyl’s 900k per year and if we end up with Hannay who knows…

I also like the idea of a new coach getting onto he Horn to Paps and having him play fullback and moving Gutho on team needs a new voice.

Hammer would be great to get at fullback as well!

Pazza

First Grade

Or you could have dyl at 5/8 and blaize at 1....

He would be on as much as them put together.
Wasn't talking about salary.
And replacing three players with one would mean even less depth.
Wasn't talking about replacing 3 players with 1.
The point is Doueihi is a top 17 player while the others aren’t, with the possible exception of Russell, who would at least be a cheap top 17 player.
That might be your (unrelated) point.... My point was literally that Doueihi "Can't be any worse in our backline than Asi /[or] Harper /[or] Russell tbh".
I doubt he’d be on as more than the fifth best outside back at most clubs.
Russell? Again, wasn't talking about their relative salaries - just equating what they each bring on the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Obviously the option clauses agreed to by the recruitment team are working well. Guess we wait and see on the other multiple options out there.
They are working as intended, reducing his cost under the cap. If he takes up the option we keep him for another two years and if he doesn't we have his cap space free to sign a replacement. Where's the problem? Without the player option he would be costing more.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Option clauses give the player a sense of being an Eel for life. It develops a mindset that it woukd be hard to walk away from family. The alternative was a vanilla 3 year deal.

Options can backfire if the player becomes garbage, which is hardly going to happen with Dylan, notwithstanding the bagging he gets on here from some.
Yep, merkins assume the player was happy to sign a seven year deal for the same value as the contract he's on, but then he said, hang on, how about this seven year contract, but with all these option clauses. And we said f**k yeah, we don't even know what option clauses do!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fiscally it’s better for us, apparently.
No it's better for us under the cap, because the PO is something we can give the player instead of money. The money would count under the salary cap while the clause doesn't. If he doesn't activate it then it cost us nothing. The worst thing is if they do take the option because it means there were no better offers. Tell me if I'm going too fast for you.

Option clauses are basically an "escape clause" for a player for any reason they might fancy at those point(s) in the future (e.g. change of coach, desire to move to a different city), while guaranteeing them some sense of longer term income security if the option(s) aren't taken up.

Smart negotiating on the player's side, for sure.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's hard to give a shit about the footy this year. For me now it's about the 4 peat. But Eels are very dissapointing. Even with Moses amd Guth we've been well.beaten two games in a row. Scorelines flattered us both times.
Nah the scorelines were pretty well reflective of the onfield play. Dogs and Roosters are pretty good this year.

Avenger

Immortal
No it's better for us under the cap, because the PO is something we can give the player instead of money. The money would count under the salary cap while the clause doesn't. If he doesn't activate it then it cost us nothing. The worst thing is if they do take the option because it means there were no better offers. Tell me if I'm going too fast for you.
No you’re not. Basically he signed a 3 year deal with a ‘maybe’ clause that he will stay after the initial 3 years runs out. Basically the advantage to us is that we know how much money he is expecting if he takes the option. That’s the only advantage I can see.

Look I think he is a decent player but we are still paying for his potential. I’m happy to give him another chance with another coach but when you consider that he is probably at the moment on more money than Luai it annoys the f**k out of me.

Stevie

Bench
I also like the idea of a new coach getting onto he Horn to Paps and having him play fullback and moving Gutho on team needs a new voice.

Hammer would be great to get at fullback as well!
Paps is a dead set disaster for Melbourne let alone Parra. Guy talented but extreme level of injury prone. He won’t be cheap either but he’s another Ponga type part time player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Quick point, how can you plan forward on cap and other things if you have to wait annually for a player to make a decision, that is always assuming there is a plan .
There will be a deadline for activating the option. This article states it is the 30th of June: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/cfbcc1a62aa01170a11d5f426e1d9b3e

Certainly, the best replacements will be available from 1st November the previous year, but also if Drown was going to decline the option he would be signing elsewhere long before the 30th of June. And you'd hope he would tell us long before then anyway if he was looking at rival offers, which it appears he has.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is the issue...

We are waiting on Brown to make a decision every season now on his player option when we could be signing someone else available at the time or developing a junior...
I don't think it's every season. I remember it being reported as two separate dates during the length of the deal where the PO opens up.

Latest posts