What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

EelEtric

Juniors
I feel like the latter is the only logical explanation. When both parties need to agree to continue the arrangement it’s just called a contract extension.
I reckon both parties need to agree to extend it, and if one rejects it then it lapses.
Say player A signs a three-year contract with a mutual option for a fourth. At the end of the third year, both the player and the club can decide whether to extend the contract for the fourth year. If both parties agree, the contract is extended; if either party declines, the contract ends. There may well be conditions in the option such as price, contract length, etc. that are agreed at the time of the option and not open to change later.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Against better judgement just watched NRL 360 to see what they had to say re Ryles etc

They roasted the clubs roster management , and the contracts given to ageing players and stated that Ryles has a massive job to make the club competitive. Braith even said that he has found out that Moses also has an option in his contract, and basically questioned why there were options everywhere.

Said how can they move any players on given they are basically overpaid and coming to the end of their careers and not performing. Hopefully that comes to the attention of the hierarchy and they take action to reset that area.
Nearly all of these contracts were negotiated at the end of 2021 when we were (rightly) excited about 2022. Think how it would have gone down if we’d said “Cheers merkins but it’s time for a rebuild.”

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Unfortunately, I think at present Matterson is part of the on-field 'glue' that just makes us win games. I think if he leaves he needs to be replaced by someone (who something - see below) who brings a stronger 'glue' to the on-field dynamics.

Gutho at fullback is in the same 'glue' category, if he plays in another position, then we likely need to add more 'glue' somewhere else.

It's a dam wall situation.

Having said that, if we had team systems like every decent f**ken side in the comp, then that could actually be the 'glue' needed instead.

To be honest, I would've punted Matterson during the off season after the Grand Final for his decision to accept the 3 match ban. It may not have been the sole reason for our demise, but it was certainly the exact point it started.
But don’t forget he was our best player in 2022. He’s always been out for himself but he certainly can play. Back then he was one of the best forwards in the game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep look at how Brown is playing for Manly now he is going well..

JA should have been in CUP all 2022 we had Perham at the club who could have sat on th bench in case of an injury in first grade..
Perham is a worse player than Arthur. He got dropped last year and it’s been all downhill for us since.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon both parties need to agree to extend it, and if one rejects it then it lapses.
Say player A signs a three-year contract with a mutual option for a fourth. At the end of the third year, both the player and the club can decide whether to extend the contract for the fourth year. If both parties agree, the contract is extended; if either party declines, the contract ends. There may well be conditions in the option such as price, contract length, etc. that are agreed at the time of the option and not open to change later.
Possible but pointless I think. The point of a player, club or mutual option is to provide future certainty to one or both parties during negotiations. This is in exchange for more money (for a club option) or a discount in the case of a player option. Mutual options theoretically benefit one side or the other (or neither) with a corresponding impact on remuneration.

Avenger

Immortal
Possible but pointless I think. The point of a player, club or mutual option is to provide future certainty to one or both parties during negotiations. This is in exchange for more money (for a club option) or a discount in the case of a player option. Mutual options theoretically benefit one side or the other (or neither) with a corresponding impact on remuneration.
Pretty sure a mutual option means both parties have to agree. The very meaning of the word implies this.

lucablight

First Grade
Maybe it’s not their age but their attitude? A bunch of forwards older than our lot moved from Melbourne to Redcliffe and they are still going strong.
You may very well be right but when you’re going this poorly people are going to bring it up as an issue to try and explain what’s happening. I haven’t really looked at the data in detail but as far as forwards go there are two forwards over 30 on QLDs side and only 1 for NSW. Price and Civoniceva killed it well into their mid 30s but you could argue it was a different game back then. So it does seem like that this version of rugby league is a younger man’s game as far as forwards go and older players when it comes to the halves at the elite level.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You may very well be right but when you’re going this poorly people are going to bring it up as an issue to try and explain what’s happening. I haven’t really looked at the data in detail but as far as forwards go there are two forwards over 30 on QLDs side and only 1 for NSW. Price and Civoniceva killed it well into their mid 30s but you could argue it was a different game back then. So it does seem like that this version of rugby league is a younger man’s game as far as forwards go and older players when it comes to the halves at the elite level.
I have no doubt 30 year old forwards are starting to decline, but the ones at the Dolphins prove it doesn’t have to happen as quickly as our deadshit merkins are going through.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't two parties agree when any contract is signed?
The mutual option must mean there is a mutual (though not equal) benefit.

Hodgson’s MO was described as being at a higher price if we activated the option (with an earlier activation date) and a lower price if we refused but he then activated the option at the later date.

Given he publicly said long before the activation date that he would be staying no matter what, we had obviously made it clear after his knee injury that we wouldn’t be activating our side of the option.

EelEtric

Juniors
The mutual option must mean there is a mutual (though not equal) benefit.

Hodgson’s MO was described as being at a higher price if we activated the option (with an earlier activation date) and a lower price if we refused but he then activated the option at the later date.

Given he publicly said long before the activation date that he would be staying no matter what, we had obviously made it clear after his knee injury that we wouldn’t be activating our side of the option.
Don't confuse a mutual po with there being both a PO and a CO in place for differing values, terms.

A mutual option would have had agreement on the main conditions at the time of preparing and would give both parties security. The club would know they are not paying more and the player would know they are not earning less.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't confuse a mutual po with there being both a PO and a CO in place for differing values, terms.
I’d say this is exactly what a MO is.
A mutual option would have had agreement on the main conditions at the time of preparing and would give both parties security. The club would know they are not paying more and the player would know they are not earning less.
There’s no reason the value has to be different, but unless it only takes one side to activate the option there is no point to it.

Latest posts