What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I saw a podcast where Billy slater said Melbourne were his only offer.
That was over 20 years ago though. The game is far more professional now and every club recruits from Queensland (and NZ and country NSW).
Player indenification and retention is everything. Penrith have built their roster on it, Melbourne has, Manly in the naughties. The only club that can consistently sign stars on unders are the roosters
Retention yes, but identification implies clubs aren’t all aware of the talent pool. Just because we haven’t heard of a given player doesn’t mean the 17 clubs haven’t been tracking him since before he was 18. Guys like Mitch Moses and Boyd Cordner were poached from Harold Matts teams. It doesn’t mean their existing clubs (Parra and Newcastle) didn’t know how good they were.

Tiger5150

Bench
I just listened to an interview on SEN1170 with Diana Langmack who is Paul's sister. She used to work at the Panthers and now Gould has brought her over to the dogs in the role of General Manager Stakeholder Engagement/Community.

Well if anyone wants to know why @hindy111 and I both predict that the Dogs will win a GF or even more before we do try to find this interview and listen to it. We could only dream to have such a set up at the Eels and surrounded by such capable people.

We are light years away from winning a premiership and people that think otherwise are deluding themselves.

Honestly it was so deflating listening to the interview because it just solidified even more so to me how far back we are from getting things right and finally becoming a consistent premiership contender that actually has a real chance of winning GF's again.

:(

Found it -

Heard it, interesting that she said that she and Gus learned what they know from Penriff as well.

Delboy

First Grade
This will be interesting news to the 6 or 7 he has at Manly
they were basically a result of Scott Fulton making a decision to move into the west by hiring the sports master of Westfield Sports to the Manly scouting team . A minivan then took players twice a week from western Sydney to Manly and back at least, to training and games. They won a Matt’s and a Ball championship on the back of that decision. He's obviously moved on and though they still have Penrith and Parra juniors in their system, other clubs have moved in to the area too.

Pazza

First Grade
That was over 20 years ago though. The game is far more professional now and every club recruits from Queensland (and NZ and country NSW).

Retention yes, but identification implies clubs aren’t all aware of the talent pool. Just because we haven’t heard of a given player doesn’t mean the 17 clubs haven’t been tracking him since before he was 18. Guys like Mitch Moses and Boyd Cordner were poached from Harold Matts teams. It doesn’t mean their existing clubs (Parra and Newcastle) didn’t know how good they were.

No Melbourne are just on a whole other level when it comes to identifying talent.

If talent identification was such a no brainer then why do half of all first rounders in the NFL draft are busts? Why do the best teams in the NRL develop the best talent? I think talent identification is key to winning in this comp cause like slater said in the podcast I saw. He said he could have left Melbourne for more money but he always remembered Melbourne gave him his shot and he stayed loyal. Wish we had that at parra, instead we got gutho and moses all through the papers being shopped around to every team in the league. No wonder our young guys don't feel an obligation to the club that gave them their chance.

Stevie

Bench
Thought of you guys today. Cooking my weekly Sunday roast and father in law coming over. My 6yo daughter was complaining about me giving her chores and when she baulked at helping me set the table, I tried to explain to her you get the work done early so you can chill.

I said…. Darling, let’s just “front load our…”.

I genuinely laughed out loud.

In my defence, it made sense!

Love you guys x

Tiger5150

Bench
they were basically a result of Scott Fulton making a decision to move into the west by hiring the sports master of Westfield Sports to the Manly scouting team . A minivan then took players twice a week from western Sydney to Manly and back at least, to training and games. They won a Matt’s and a Ball championship on the back of that decision. He's obviously moved on and though they still have Penrith and Parra juniors in their system, other clubs have moved in to the area too.
With respect Delboy, you are 100% incorrect, and thats kinda the whole point. Scott Fulton was almost literally in bed with Mario Tartak and all those kids from Westfields and Blacktown, were signed to Tartak. Tartak controlled Manly and had them by the balls which is why Manly punted Scott Fulton and the morons running the Tigers at the time snapped up Fulton. Immediately, the Tigers started signing exclusively Tartak players including Samuela Fainu (thank God), Latu and Bud Sullivan. Manly wanted Tartak out of the joint because he was running the place. Since then they have almost exclusively signed Moses players and the Coach. They are in as much trouble with Moses as they used to be with Tartak.

The first thing Richo did after arriving at the Tigers was punt Fulton which was the right thing. He is a Tartak plant.

How come the Blue Wiggle isn’t coping more heat? The f**ker comes straight out trying to extort the club over Guymer and crickets from the NRL/media?? Even more interesting considering he used to be our junior scout. I’d like to hear TCT’s take on that..

Soto

Bench
How come the Blue Wiggle isn’t coping more heat? The f**ker comes straight out trying to extort the club over Guymer and crickets from the NRL/media?? Even more interesting considering he used to be our junior scout. I’d like to hear TCT’s take on that..
The TCT are currently out of commission as they have taken a brief european sabbatical...current location is somewhere near a town called Leeds

Danny Weidler
ByDanny Weidler
August 4, 2024

After the departure of Blaize Talagi there are growing fears in the Parramatta football department of another Isaac Moses takeover of the Eels.
Talagi is a client of the powerful manager, and the exit of a junior who was the next big hope for the club has hurt the Eels more than they will admit. Parramatta threw an impressive offer at Talagi, but he told the club on Wednesday he was leaving. He is poised to join Penrith.

The Eels were prepared to look after his rising star brother, Ryda, as part of a deal to keep them both.
The Eels provided Blaize with a significant pathway, and incoming coach Jason Ryles gave his best pitch to the family about his future. Whether the Eels had a real chance is something only Talagi, his family and Moses will know.
What is also concerning the Eels is that Moses not only manages Talagi but has signed a significant number of the next crop of young guns in Parramatta’s juniors.
No one from the Eels will say exactly what percentage of their players Moses has on his books, but sources with knowledge of the situation have told me it is well more than 50 per cent of the best young talent. Moses’ son plays in the Eels junior system, which gives the manager even more access to that playing group.

About a decade ago, Moses had significant power at the Eels because he managed so many of their players. With Talagi leaving the club at the end of the year, the Eels would probably rather give Moses the cold shoulder, but he has so much power when it comes to Parramatta’s future, and the club can’t afford to ignore him.
I have been told Moses wants all these rising stars to stay in the Eels system through to NRL level to develop because in the past 10 years the Eels are second only to Penrith in terms of premierships and results in the junior ranks.
The problem for the Eels is that traditionally Moses has operated in the south-west section of their juniors, but he is slowly creeping into the north-west as well, giving him greater dominance. It is worth noting that the Eels will open the largest centre of excellence and academy in the NRL in April, a $75 million facility in Kellyville.
The issue is agents are happy for their young players to stay in Parramatta’s development system because it is so good – then they shop them around to other clubs.
With more teams set to be added to the NRL, holding onto rising stars could become more difficult for a club that is trying to re-establish itself in the competition – and end its 38-year premiership drought.

Hmmmn not only that but his son just happens to play in a team with 2 of the best junior prospects I’ve seen come through the Parra district since Hayne. God I hope they’re not with Cove.

Latest posts