What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I guess it depends on the style Ryles wants them playing.
Defence is the key regardless and dogs have shown how extremely important it is. Not the best team but all have bought in.
Most of us were laughing with the 17 utilities they purchased...no denying they have picked up international and origin class players in Kikau, Ado Carr, Crichton, Burton, Mahoney.
Future rep players in Preston and possibly Kiraz.
BUT they are super fit and tenacious in defence
Penrith copied the model that the Roosters proved in the back to back premierships, and then adapted it for the faster ruck. You don’t actually need good attackers in the middle if they are running at retreating defences. You just need to make sure your own middles don’t crack when the opposition has the ball.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, but we are all getting excited over players that haven't shown anywhere near the same level of talent as he has in our lower grades.
We didn’t even get excited about Talagi until he signed elsewhere ffs

Nobody here is excited about our juniors. They still remember how the Flegg side started the year 0 from 7.

Chipmunk

Coach
I have a theory behind RCG being moved on before the others and its simply because i reckon he was seen as a BA disciple.

Remember when he came out and said he would die for BA earlier this year after the Darwin debacle.

It was a dumb comment really when the writing was on the wall.

Just my gut feeling is why he may be moved on so Ryles has clear air without any disgruntlement.

Its probably why Gutho may be pushed out as well.

Ryles is cleaning out anyone who was seen as BA-players & who were seen as close confidants to him.
That's great, but if they're not replaced immediately by players as good, then we'll end up being at the bottom of the table and a decade like the Tigpies have had...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's great, but if they're not replaced immediately by players as good, then we'll end up being at the bottom of the table and a decade like the Tigpies have had...
Do they need to be replaced immediately? Lomax is coming next year and he’s taken some quality merkin’s cap space, but it wasn’t some merkin he will be able to high five on the way through the front gate.

Tiger5150

Bench
I hope you bookmarked when merkins told you Utoikamanu and Papali’i are shit
They were probably honest brokers who opinion I respected and I trusted was giving me an honest opinion.

Since that time Stef has played SoO and been signed by Melbourne so not shit. Papali'i has played to the standard that he did at Parra in '22 so pretty much as expected but not the '21 form we hoped for. But not shit.

oldmancraigy

Coach
They were probably honest brokers who opinion I respected and I trusted was giving me an honest opinion.

Since that time Stef has played SoO and been signed by Melbourne so not shit. Papali'i has played to the standard that he did at Parra in '22 so pretty much as expected but not the '21 form we hoped for. But not shit.

If you avoid the coverall of sentiment, Papa was actually pretty good in 2022. His major issue is lateral defence under fatigue. Sadly that showed up in key moments late in that season - but it shouldn't obscure what he did from an attacking point of view
Mind you, Mitch Moses tends to make whomever plays outside him as a backrower look pretty good, so it could have just been that?

TheRam

Coach
You've got one right under your nose, I reckon.

Don't get to excited there champ as the Roosters snuck in from right under your nose and nabbed the 7 who did all the heavy lifting for that first try Cyrus scored and from all reports Lachlan Metcalfe is going to be one hell of a player just about when Moses retires.

You go Parra you legends. No one quite does it like Parra!

Tiger5150

Bench
If you avoid the coverall of sentiment, Papa was actually pretty good in 2022. His major issue is lateral defence under fatigue. Sadly that showed up in key moments late in that season - but it shouldn't obscure what he did from an attacking point of view
Mind you, Mitch Moses tends to make whomever plays outside him as a backrower look pretty good, so it could have just been that?
agreed. Last year Papali'i was running off Brooks and it was a disaster. This season he has been disrupted by injury but in the few games he has had back he has been very good, playing lock. i wish we were keeping him but I think its a $$$ value issue. He IS a good player and has played well for us, but yes defence under fatigue is poor.

I think he would benefit in our team running off Galvin, but Galvin has formed a good relationship with Samuela Fainu on the left and Fainu is a definte keeper.

Delboy

First Grade
Lachlan Metcalfe was yet another stuff up from our esteemed retention committee or whatever individual, understand he never wanted to leave but slow communication saw Roosters swoop. Don’t think he’s on a desert island so to speak.

gaffer

Juniors
Sure but a good role model for younger players to follow. Good manners, family man etc. Much better then peanuts like B.Smith
give him a job as welfare officer in leiu of final years of his contract He can then get as fat as f*ck with no consequence to his performance

Latest posts