What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yes to Longhi no to weaver who looks like a nufty midget.
If we got Longhi to replace Blaize then Id believe we got the better of the deal.
Weaver wouId be a back up, low risk. We aren't getting a star half as a back up. We need some one cheap, Weaver fits that. Has some potential, seems to have a decent running game in QLD cup.

Hope Lynn stays too.

84 Baby

Referee

Having lost Blaize Talagi, Eels turn sights on Panthers for Ryles’ first target​

Just days after losing Blaize Talagi to the Panthers, the Eels have stepped up their interest in Penrith’s boom young fullback Isaiah Iongi in a bid to make him incoming coach Jason Ryles’ first major signing.
Iongi, who made his NRL debut a fortnight ago, has been identified by the Eels as a long-term fullback option for the club after Talagi walked out on Parramatta to link with their western Sydney rivals from next year.

The decision from the Eels’ local junior was considered a savage blow for Ryles, but Parramatta has quickly shifted their attention to Queensland-raised Iongi, who has been a standout for Penrith in the NSW Cup for the last two seasons.

Iongi still has a year remaining on his deal at Penrith, but given he’s behind Australian and NSW representative Dylan Edwards and utility Daine Laurie, the Panthers are unlikely to stand in his way if he wants to pursue a full-time NRL gig elsewhere.

Iongi impressed during his top grade debut against the Knights earlier this month and is considered ready for the regular demands of the NRL.

His potential addition to the Eels ranks – following in the footsteps of J’maine Hopgood, who was also starved for consistent NRL action at Penrith – would give Ryles the option of shifting Clint Gutherson to another backline position.

Ryles has already told Regan Campbell-Gillard he is free to leave before the end of his contract next year, with North Queensland and St George Illawarra expressing an interest in luring him to their clubs.

Back-rower Ryan Matterson and winger Maika Sivo have also been granted permission to explore their options elsewhere.

The Eels have already started dialogue with five-eighth Dylan Brown’s management about taking up an option on his contract beyond the end of next season to avoid him fielding offers from rival clubs for the 2026 season.

But Iongi seems the most realistic option to come into the club externally, with the Panthers aware of the Eels’ overtures.

Talagi is expected to vie for the vacant five-eighth role alongside Nathan Cleary at the Panthers next year, with Iongi seen by Eels recruiters as a ready-made replacement to add speed to a backline seeking more pace.

Speaking after his NRL debut, Iongi said: “It was unreal. It was more than I can imagine.

“I’m still learning from Dylan Edwards. He’s the best of the best. I’m happy to bide my time behind him and learn from him.

“The cramps got me a beauty at the end [of the game], I couldn’t even stand up at one stage. But managed to come through with the goods.”

Why the f**k can’t they capitalise Longi!?!

Latest posts