What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
and how many of those played RM cup or equivalent to third tier rugby league this year?
What does this have to do with anything? Tago was coming back from over 12 months out of the game. Most players his age give up. He was obviously far too good for RM Cup because he performed well in reserve grade.
the point is, due to our massive mismanagement of our squad we’ve had to dig deep into Flegg and development squads, 2nd tier squad and 2 players outside our system who played third tier rugby league all because we completely mismanaged our squad this year and weren’t able to fill it with the quality required.
Any other club with the same amount of injuries would have to bring in players they didn't want to use. Did you miss the bit about the Roosters using 23 players plus three nuffies worse than Jake Tago?
whilst we’ve done a reasonable job in the past this year was a next level low..
It has been low but I don't see it having anything to do with our depth. Our top 17 have either been missing (Moses, Hopgood, Matterson, Simonsson, Sivo, Paulo, Gutherson) or out of form (Paulo, Lane, Matterson, RCG, Cartwright, Drown). The problem isn't our depth players, it is that we have had to rely on them too much.
seriously, who would offer a bloke like Jirah a multi year deal in August 22 when he struggled to make Newcastles reserve grade side?
He didn't struggle to make their reserve grade side, he was a regular in reserve grade in the year we bought him and even played in the first five NRL games that year.
Or offer Cini a 3 year deal with the third year T30 contract after spending a year in reserve grade on a 2nd tier deal…?
Because he had a history of strong performances in reserve grade and was only 21 years old.
we did the same with Makatoa after we got him from England on a 2nd tier deal….
If they're good enough to be backups for one year (and they're no older than mid-20s) they are good enough for three. Makatoa has always been an excellent reserve grader, going bacck to his days at Mt Pritchard. He has also been a quality backup in first grade, where he has a 55% win rate.
FMD our talent identification has been nothing short of diabolical…
Talent identification is fine. I get you're frustrated and looking for someone to blame, but the scapegoat has left the building. Too many of our best players have been unavailable or just plain out of form. That means the backups have had to play too often and when they have, the senior players haven't looked after them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm not sure who you're arguing with?

I'm interested as to the qualities that make Jake a top30 guy?
And what happens to your arguments about him being a viable backup if he isn't seen as one by a one else?
Well until that happens your hypothetical is moot (lol).
In a hypothetical scenario:
A young half is signed top30 on potential.
3 years in it is apparent they haven't got the running kicking or passing game to be a top 30 half.
Their defensive reads are poor.
They end up as a better footy player than I ever was, but not a top30 NRL player (even at age 23 or 24)

This happens all the time.
What happens is they give up and either retire or just drop their effort and get pushed out of the game. Momoisea is one. He is not even 26 but his form demonstrably peaked years ago: https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cup/canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs-nsw-cup/jirah-momoisea/

Nothing has become 'apparent', the player has literally gotten worse. I'm sure injury played its part, as it did with Dunster. Maybe it'll happen with Jake Arthur, who broke his foot in round 12. When merkins realise their choices are between remaining a backup in the top 30 or getting a real job they often choose the latter. The older you get the less minimum salary is worth the pain of pre-season training or the frustration of rehabbing injuries. But plenty of dudes who retire at 23 would've been better players at 28 if they'd just stuck with it. Look at Andrew Davey.