What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Johnny88

Juniors

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
AXE TO FALL ON NRL BOSS
I mentioned in this column from Las Vegas in March that an NRL club CEO was facing the axe. He’s since survived for five months … but not for much longer. We’re hearing he’ll be gone in the next few weeks. The club will advertise for a replacement. One very good operator has indicated he is interested.

Very interesting…

JokerEel

Coach
AXE TO FALL ON NRL BOSS
I mentioned in this column from Las Vegas in March that an NRL club CEO was facing the axe. He’s since survived for five months … but not for much longer. We’re hearing he’ll be gone in the next few weeks. The club will advertise for a replacement. One very good operator has indicated he is interested.

Can't be us our CEO is doing a wonderful job

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
North Qld are at a disadvantage geographically to those other sides you point out.

Brisbane and Melbourne flying to Sydney and back is pretty easy compared to flying from Townsville every 2nd week. It's an extra 4hrs if you add both legs on a plane every trip.

It takes it toll eventually and I think it's a factor with the Warriors as well.

Sports science with recovery has improved but that 1 or 2% makes all the difference especially having to hop on a long flight straight after a game.

North Qld have an below par average winning% since they started.

Like really 2005 had more to do with us shitting the bed then the cowboys.

Going to be interesting when Perth come in if they split up there away games and do perhaps b2b games once or twice a year to break up the travel.
In think playing/training in the tropics is probably a disadvantage for the Cowboys, even if it's also a (distributed) disadvantage to their opponents. But they do seem to recruit/retain talent very well. There's something going on up there. It was suspicious how many players they signed from the Storm a few years ago. The stories about underhand property deals the NRL had no problem with might be a factor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But will it be a production line for other clubs to feed off or will we have the smarts to recognise and retain the players for the future? The COE will need the correct CEO in charge or we'll continue to be DOA.
If it increases the pipeline of talented youngsters into our pathways that should increase the number of them we can trick into staying right through to the top 30 before rival clubs blow their contract demands out. Look at all the players the Panthers have lost. It's unavoidable, but at least they got a few years of first grade out of them on unders. That's what we need. For every Isaiya Katoa chasing the money straight out of SG Ball, you want a Burton or Crichton giving you some value on less than they're worth for a couple of years before signing with the Dogs.

lucablight

First Grade
The facility will be huge for us. Can you believe such a supposedly massive club used to train on the undersized Richie Benaud Oval?
Ahh the memories. Sometimes I’d play sports with my mates on there as well back in the day. Pretty crazy that an NRL team trained on the same oval as high school kids.

In saying that I think it’s a little unfortunate that we can’t have our HQ located in the place our team is named after.