What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Stagger eel

Staff member
lol f**k these journos can carry on like morons...

if the game is in the balance and we need some points than Guth might be the perfect foil to put in as a middle half or lock or 9 ..but that would be on a very rare occasion.

Gazzamatta

Coach

if the game is in the balance and we need some points than Guth might be the perfect foil to put in as a middle half or lock or 9 ..but that would be on a very rare occasion.
They try to put 2 and 2 together without any substance other than their poisonous imaginations. Hooper has made a living out of this and blokes like Anasta swallow it up.
Even after taking to Ryles re Gutho, Hooper gushes some absolute BS and Anasta is like the wide eyed kid in the candy store hanging off every word.
Seriously I gotta stop watching that garbage show.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I not so sure, we are going sign a replacement for RCG. Maybe another middle on the minimum, if that. We have got a few middle options already at the club including several rookies.

Assuming Matterson is considered a middle by Ryles (and only a last resort edge option), edge is probably where we need to recruit over another middle...

we only have Tuilagi, Cartwright and Lane (who we are trying to shop around). Last 2 are pushing 30. Depth is pretty poor there too. There is Doorey, but his defence is pretty poor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't forget power struggles between warring factions wanting to be in charge and then sweeping away anything set up by their predecessors...

I'd argue the mismanagement dates back to at least the 90s. We had decent pathways for junior development, but that may have been good fortune in a less professional era?

I'm always in support of the elected board (whichever faction it turns out to be) and hopeful they can deliver profit and the right footy people to run things, starting with the all-important head coach.
The current board kept the coach when they took over and results improved markedly and immediately. I’m sorry I don’t have a link explaining this to your satisfaction.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Charlie is unsigned or unannounced for 2025+. :eek:
Signing/retention information is scarce for players at the bottom of the top 30 or below. It looks like they (NRL.com) don’t update it for those unannounced merkins until sometime during the preseason when they presumably send the clubs a request for information, or maybe the NRL media department gets an annual update from the department that tracks contract lodgements.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The truth lies in the interpretation of the data. It is not evidence in of itself.
We don’t know the truth. Our interpretation of the evidence is just an assessment, the quality of which varies between individuals. For example I am very smart and meticulous, so my assessments are more likely to be accurate than someone who is a lazy dumb merkin who complains about stats.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
I not so sure, we are going sign a replacement for RCG. Maybe another middle on the minimum, if that. We have got a few middle options already at the club including several rookies.

Assuming Matterson is considered a middle by Ryles (and only a last resort edge option), edge is probably where we need to recruit over another middle...

we only have Tuilagi, Cartwright and Lane (who we are trying to shop around). Last 2 are pushing 30. Depth is pretty poor there too. There is Doorey, but his defence is pretty poor.
Tend to agree and think the reason to move on REG is to bolster another position being that are squad is our of balance

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Matterson has been tapped to stay by Ryles.
Gutherson has been tapped to stay by Ryles.

Ryles has total control over the NRL player squad moving forward and who he wants to buy, retain and release.
Just as the previous incumbent did.
He doesn’t control how much these merkins are willing to sign for.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

They try to put 2 and 2 together without any substance other than their poisonous imaginations. Hooper has made a living out of this and blokes like Anasta swallow it up.
Even after taking to Ryles re Gutho, Hooper gushes some absolute BS and Anasta is like the wide eyed kid in the candy store hanging off every word.
Seriously I gotta stop watching that garbage show.
Riccio spoke about the Ryles catch up this morning on Vossy and Brandy.....the idiot was still trying to make more of Gutho leaving chat...by mentioning Gutho has options in his contract so nothing is guaranteed....

that's purely making up bulllshit......he has one year with no PO....
#idiots

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
alot of chatter at this function I went to last night points to a deal being close to done.

is he that much better than Hands though ?

I would have thought if we are in the rebuilding phase we should be aiming a bit higher than Brailey as we'll be stuck with an "adequate" player for years to come in a position where we are weak and very short on depth

I'll support Ryles if this is what he wants but I'm a bit surprised as I don't think he raises the bar that much

The Colonel

Immortal
is he that much better than Hands though ?

I would have thought if we are in the rebuilding phase we should be aiming a bit higher than Brailey as we'll be stuck with an "adequate" player for years to come in a position where we are weak and very short on depth

I'll support Ryles if this is what he wants but I'm a bit surprised as I don't think he raises the bar that much

Has played one full season out of the past four. Admittedly, he is younger than Hodgson but it seems like a similar scenario given the ACL issues.

Avenger

Immortal
Has played one full season out of the past four. Admittedly, he is younger than Hodgson but it seems like a similar scenario given the ACL issues.
Wasn’t he initially rated higher than his younger brother? To be honest I haven’t really watched either of them play much. Does Brailey have a kicking game? Is he much better than Hands?

Johnny88

Juniors

Sport Confidential: Eels may move Clint Gutherson to forward pack in 2024

Incoming Parramatta coach Jason Ryles has floated a bizarre plan which would see club fullback Clint Gutherson move into the forward pack.
Parramatta skipper Clint Gutherson could wear the No. 13 jersey next season as the Eels prepare to shift the fullback into a hybrid role.
The Eels have made it clear they want to keep Gutherson at the club beyond next season when his current deal ends but his time at the back could be over.

It comes as the Eels express an interest in signing Newcastle hooker Jayden Brailey.
While it had been widely speculated that any potential move for Gutherson would see him shift into the backline – most likely at centre – it seems a switch to the forward pack looms for the former NSW player.
The Eels have no intention of releasing Gutherson early despite St George Illawarra’s interest.
Incoming Parramatta coach Jason Ryles has a plan to use Gutherson in a roaming role – similar to that done by Dylan Walker at the Warriors and Tyran Wishart at the Storm.
Whether or not that means Gutherson starts off the interchange bench next season is unclear and the plan may not obviously eventuate when it’s tested during pre-season training.
It is understood that Gutherson has been receptive to the positional switch. The Eels have signed Penrith young gun Isaiah Iongi to be their long-term fullback – and the hope is he will be ready by next season. They had earmarked Blaize Talagi to wear the no. 1 before he opted to join the Panthers.

Gutherson’s role could also see him play a little bit of dummy half if needed. The Eels believe they could have more potency with the football if they can have Gutherson, Dylan Brown and Mitchell Moses surrounding the ball as much as possible.
Gutherson is just 29 but his body is starting to show signs of slowing down. He was badly beaten on the outside by Broncos fullback Tristan Sailor last week.
The Eels remain in the market with Brailey the latest to come to their attention. Brailey has been given permission to leave the Knights with 12-months left on his contract. He was originally signed at Newcastle by new Parramatta assistant coach Nathan Brown although Brown was sacked before Brailey arrived.

Latest posts