What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Johnny88

Juniors
The Broncos have emerged as a shock contender to sign Reagan Campbell-Gillard after the former NSW Origin enforcer’s touted move to the Dragons was on the rocks on Monday night.
This masthead can reveal Campbell-Gillard is on the radar of a Broncos club that launched a wide-ranging review on Monday in the wake of Brisbane’s dramatic freefall to miss the finals this season.
The Parramatta prop’s move to the Dragons was regarded as a fait accompli, but in a stunning twist on Monday night, ructions broke out in Campbell-Gillard’s transfer to the Red V.
The 31-year-old is seeking a three-year deal from a prospective club but the Dragons were only willing to come to the party with a two-year offer.
No formal deal has been struck with St George Illawarra at this stagThe Broncos will discuss whether to make a formal play for Campbell-Gillard at a meeting on Wednesday.
But any move to Red Hill is contingent on salary-cap restrictions and whether the Broncos can afford Campbell-Gillard, who is on a lucrative deal with the Eels.
Currently on $775,000 this season, it is believed his salary next year drops to around $650,000.
Just turned 31, Campbell-Gillard is contracted to the Eels until the end of next season, but Parramatta have given the bookend permission to negotiate with rival clubs.
Campbell-Gillard’s exit from Parramatta seemed a certainty given the prop had a shot at goal in his side’s 60-26 rout of the Tigers last Friday night in the strongest sign yet he was saying goodbye to the Eels.
Commentators even suggested Dragons fans should celebrate the arrival of Campbell-Gillard, but with his Red V deal suddenly in jeopardy, the Broncos could pull off an eleventh-hour poaching strike.

The Broncos have given forward Kobe Hetherington permission to negotiate with rival clubs and he would be allowed to leave in 2025 - on the proviso Brisbane receive a player of equal value.
That player could be Campbell-Gillard, a veteran of 221 NRL games who could take the pressure off Haas with his representative experience, toughness and go forward.
Campbell-Gillard and Haas know each other well - they were starting front-rowers for NSW in the opening game of the 2022 State of Origin series.
Walters has vowed to put Brisbane’s roster under the microscope, with the Broncos having sorely missed the front-row intimidation of Dolphins defector Tom Flegler this season.
The Broncos still have one spot left on their 30-man full-time roster, putting RCG and Welch in the frame if Brisbane can strike the right deal.

Soto

Bench
According to an article that I read RCG Is on $775k this year and $650k in 2025. I’m happy to keep him at that price next season. Our cap must be tight if we are tapping a player like RCG at that price. That’s quite reasonable.
I would as well but its the club moving forward and probably trying to forward plan with up and coming or others younger who can provide similar value and output
Have to say his last 8 weeks in particular were very good, leading at times a very sub standard pack...
I'd like to see him under a gruelling preseason with Ryles and new trainer in charge..probably won't see it as he doesn't seem to be in Ryles plans...not sure if it's money, style or contract duration

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My God. You have picked two barrel style props and compared them to mobile style props and in Emu's case a reserve grade level player compared to rep quality ones.

Those quality barrel style ball playing players like Junior though will always be valuable in the right mixed team as game breakers just like junior is in our team too. The problem with our team is we are now to heavy in the forwards with players that don't like tackling or aren't fit enough to make the necessary tackles in succession. We still don't know is it physical or mental or both with nearly all our players. Maybe the new coach will give us all a better clue.

Also in the panthers case their two front rowers have been benefiting from a great back three that has kept them relatively fresh during games and a great bench rotation too. Our two boppers have never had that luxury ever. This alone would make a massive difference to our game and would have addressed so many late game fadeouts. But what do I know? Pou reckons the coach his staff know everything and I or anyone else here including you mate know nothing that the coaching staff don't already know.

Pity our R&R team must have other ideas.

But back on responding to your post. Paulo is a unique front rower in the modern age. No other front rower is in his class as a barreling ball player and that's why all coaches and commentators love him when we are playing well. The problem though is he needs to be fit and he needs to be surrounded by quality workers just like Beetson did when he was playing too. Again depending on the quality Ryles can surround him in will depend on how he plays. If Ryles can't find quality line benders that can also make many tackles then I expect Juniors game to wain as all the pressure and focus will be put on him from the press and fans too.

Junior isn't our problem, he is a gun that can break a game open. He just needs the right support to pick up the slack that people think he is shirking. It's like saying Lockyer was a crap player because he needed Tony Carrol besides him to make his tackles. Good coaches know the limitations of all their players and adjust their game plan and team personnel to accommodate the great ones where they can. I believe we have a great ball playing prop that is unique in our game and we need to bring in players that can compliment him to do his thing. They don't need to be champions just hard working and mobile enough to bend the line. Paulo and our halves can do the rest.
We have a good set of mobile or hard working middles:

Ofahengaue
Hopgood
Matterson
Guymer
Lane

Paulo is the only passenger, and as you say, he is still a great attacking forward as long as his fatigue is managed during the game. Lomax will pick up a lot of the slack in go forward. It’s very exciting.

senior

Juniors
We have a good set of mobile or hard working middles:

Ofahengaue
Hopgood
Matterson
Guymer
Lane

Paulo is the only passenger, and as you say, he is still a great attacking forward as long as his fatigue is managed during the game. Lomax will pick up a lot of the slack in go forward. It’s very exciting.
iongi will help the forwards aswell, easy 200m a game with the occasional 250+

T-Boon

Coach
It's not just Brad Arthur, it's every coach. If they don't know what they're doing, they don't even get to be assistant NRL coaches, much less head coach of an NRL club. There's not a single thing about coaching that geniuses like you and I could tell them that they don't already know.
I could have told BA his son is way shitter than he thinks he is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
According to an article that I read RCG Is on $775k this year and $650k in 2025. I’m happy to keep him at that price next season. Our cap must be tight if we are tapping a player like RCG at that price. That’s quite reasonable.
While I don’t ever believe the numbers reported in the media, that’s certainly how I expect a contract to be structured for a player nearing the end of his career.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Broncos have emerged as a shock contender to sign Reagan Campbell-Gillard after the former NSW Origin enforcer’s touted move to the Dragons was on the rocks on Monday night.
This masthead can reveal Campbell-Gillard is on the radar of a Broncos club that launched a wide-ranging review on Monday in the wake of Brisbane’s dramatic freefall to miss the finals this season.
The Parramatta prop’s move to the Dragons was regarded as a fait accompli, but in a stunning twist on Monday night, ructions broke out in Campbell-Gillard’s transfer to the Red V.
The 31-year-old is seeking a three-year deal from a prospective club but the Dragons were only willing to come to the party with a two-year offer.
No formal deal has been struck with St George Illawarra at this stagThe Broncos will discuss whether to make a formal play for Campbell-Gillard at a meeting on Wednesday.
But any move to Red Hill is contingent on salary-cap restrictions and whether the Broncos can afford Campbell-Gillard, who is on a lucrative deal with the Eels.
Currently on $775,000 this season, it is believed his salary next year drops to around $650,000.
Just turned 31, Campbell-Gillard is contracted to the Eels until the end of next season, but Parramatta have given the bookend permission to negotiate with rival clubs.
Campbell-Gillard’s exit from Parramatta seemed a certainty given the prop had a shot at goal in his side’s 60-26 rout of the Tigers last Friday night in the strongest sign yet he was saying goodbye to the Eels.
Commentators even suggested Dragons fans should celebrate the arrival of Campbell-Gillard, but with his Red V deal suddenly in jeopardy, the Broncos could pull off an eleventh-hour poaching strike.

The Broncos have given forward Kobe Hetherington permission to negotiate with rival clubs and he would be allowed to leave in 2025 - on the proviso Brisbane receive a player of equal value.
That player could be Campbell-Gillard, a veteran of 221 NRL games who could take the pressure off Haas with his representative experience, toughness and go forward.
Campbell-Gillard and Haas know each other well - they were starting front-rowers for NSW in the opening game of the 2022 State of Origin series.
Walters has vowed to put Brisbane’s roster under the microscope, with the Broncos having sorely missed the front-row intimidation of Dolphins defector Tom Flegler this season.
The Broncos still have one spot left on their 30-man full-time roster, putting RCG and Welch in the frame if Brisbane can strike the right deal.

I can’t read that Casper

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would as well but its the club moving forward and probably trying to forward plan with up and coming or others younger who can provide similar value and output
Have to say his last 8 weeks in particular were very good, leading at times a very sub standard pack...
I'd like to see him under a gruelling preseason with Ryles and new trainer in charge..probably won't see it as he doesn't seem to be in Ryles plans...not sure if it's money, style or contract duration
RCG still goes hard but his mobility has really dropped off. He’s missed a lot of tackles this year because he is struggling to get his body in front of attackers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely the Broncos aren't that desperate. No way they are willing to give a 32 year old forward a 3 year contract. I'd kill to have their squad
The third year could be relatively cheap to reflect the risk of his decline. From RCG’s perspective it could still be better than going to market after two years.

EppingEel

Juniors
Great read if you love your stats.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
It's not just Brad Arthur, it's every coach. If they don't know what they're doing, they don't even get to be assistant NRL coaches, much less head coach of an NRL club. There's not a single thing about coaching that geniuses like you and I could tell them that they don't already know.
Don't forget, BA didn't really get the job....Jason Taylor did, and at the 11th hour they changed their minds cause the slimy con artist got into the playing group and made them complain to the board and demanded they wanted BA.

He probably would still be an assistant somewhere if those turn of events didn't happen.

Latest posts