What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
'On Friday evening Josh was pulled over and subjected to a random roadside drug test. The test results were negative and Josh was allowed to continue on his way. Happens to all of us at some stage on the roads. It's the Police keeping the community safe. We appreciate their work.

'There is absolutely no truth to rumours that Josh had any issue. None whatsoever. Enjoy your finals football everyone.'

On Monday night, Gould said Addo-Carr had informed the club about the matter on Saturday, but said the winger had explained to him that the drug test was inconclusive.

It was only on Monday when the club received calls about the issue that they found out he had allegedly returned a positive sample.

'He came in and reported it to us the next morning, but the way it was reported to us, he was very dismissive of it,' Gould said on 100% Footy.

'That there was no drama, he hadn't tested positive to anything, they had allowed him to drive home.

'What Josh thought was because he went and did the second test and they allowed him to go, he thought it was negative.

'I'm not saying Josh was deliberately misrepresenting, that was his interpretation of events. The police have a different interpretation.'

1725935514086.png

LINK

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I wonder why we let him go and not Junior. Junior is on bigger coin surely, if it's about clearing cap space.
Obviously it may be harder to move Paulo on....however Ryles may also see him as an important part of the style he is planning to play.....Paulo's skillset for a middle forward is very unique. Not many middles have it, and he is a genuine X factor when on form.

While RCG is very good (or was), his output can be replaced with cheaper players (obviously not at the same level, but similar).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just because our club couldn’t see that Moretti was a better option than an absolute donkey like Mummamoasia doesn’t mean he wasn’t.

Oh that’s right “No matter what the club and Bea Arthur did the right thing”

Mummamiasoa is one the most embarrassing footballers to pull on an Eels jersey. No wonder why you loved him.

Avenger

Immortal
Obviously it may be harder to move Paulo on....however Ryles may also see him as an important part of the style he is planning to play.....Paulo's skillset for a middle forward is very unique. Not many middles have it, and he is a genuine X factor when on form.

While RCG is very good (or was), his output can be replaced with cheaper players (obviously not at the same level, but similar).
With RCG leaving I reckon we have over a million to spend even with the signing of Iongi and the upgrade to Hopgood and the likely signing of Hawkins and Blake Wilson.

10 players leaving with probably Sivo as the only other likely. I liked what I saw with Lane at prop.

Avenger

Immortal
Just because our club couldn’t see that Moretti was a better option than an absolute donkey like Mummamoasia doesn’t mean he wasn’t.

Oh that’s right “No matter what the club and Bea Arthur did the right thing”

Mummamiasoa is one the most embarrassing footballers to pull on an Eels jersey. No wonder why you loved him.
Lorenzo Mulitalo is up there.

Gherkin

Juniors
With RCG leaving I reckon we have over a million to spend even with the signing of Iongi and the upgrade to Hopgood and the likely signing of Hawkins and Blake Wilson.

10 players leaving with probably Sivo as the only other likely. I liked what I saw with Lane at prop.
Is Wilson still likely with the Addo Carr drama?

EppingEel

Juniors

A million doesn't seem like that much when a way past it Bird is still worth 400k a year. Especially when you have to spread it between 2-3 players.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
RCG going really lets us add some quality to the squad for next year.

Let's say we want to add 3 players. One to replace RCG (his spot) and 2 minimum contract players ($130k each).

With RCG money ($650k) and 2 spots already budgeted for on the minimum ($260k). That's $910k to spend.

Instead of having a $650k tired up in a middle and 2 cheapies. We could now afford to purchase:

- 1 player for $400k
- 2 players at $255k

or

- 1 player $500k
- 1 player $280k
- 1 player minimum $130k

That's a much better spread of cap expenditure. It's a decent amount of cash to pick up some quality.

Makes sense pushing RCG out.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
A million doesn't seem like that much when a way past it Bird is still worth 400k a year. Especially when you have to spread it between 2-3 players.
Depends what your are looking for. As bad as we went this year, we have a lot of experience still. As opposed to the tigers who are desperate for experience (plus have to play overs as they are so shit).

thus with our experience we can go for younger, less inexperienced players. Which are cheaper. For example Hopgood was pretty cheap, less then $300k even $200k

Longi is another example, doubt he was that expensive.

EppingEel

Juniors
RCG going really lets us add some quality to the squad for next year.

Let's say we want to add 3 players. One to replace RCG (his spot) and 2 minimum contract players ($130k each).

With RCG money ($650k) and 2 spots already budgeted for on the minimum ($260k). That's $910k to spend.

Instead of having a $650k tired up in a middle and 2 cheapies. We could now afford to purchase:

- 1 player for $400k
- 2 players at $255k

or

- 1 player $500k
- 1 player $280k
- 1 player minimum $130k

That's a much better spread of cap expenditure. It's a decent amount of cash to pick up some quality.

Makes sense pushing RCG out.
But there aren't any good props going at those prices, unless we take a 1 or 2 year rental on an older forward, or a gamble on a young forward.

Looking at the following list, a true RCG replacement will cost at least 600k, unless we manage to sign a player on under which wont happen until Ryles has proven himself to be a good coach.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
But there aren't any good props going at those prices, unless we take a 1 or 2 year rental on an older forward, or a gamble on a young forward.

Looking at the following list, a true RCG replacement will cost at least 600k, unless we manage to sign a player on under which wont happen until Ryles has proven himself to be a good coach.

Why do we need to sign a middle replacement for RCG?

Already have the following middles (with NRL experience):

Paulo
Offa
Hopgood
Matterson
Lane
Guymer
Luca
Greig
lussick (has been playing some lock)
Keir (what is he doing?)
Plus rumours of Gutho playing a middle role.

Then we have rookies in Sam/Toni contracted for next year.

That's a lot of middle options already here for 2024.

The Predictor

Juniors
Moretti and Guymer are our big gains next year from a youth perspective

It's a shame Charlie missed out on 8 games there post his injury to get some more development into him.

Moretti has improved heaps and is showing up those that called YOU a moron for suggesting he was a better player then Momoisea.
People were suggesting that ?

Latest posts