What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Why do we need to sign a middle replacement for RCG?

Already have the following middles (with NRL experience):

Paulo
Offa
Hopgood
Matterson
Lane
Guymer
Luca
Greig
lussick (has been playing some lock)
Keir (what is he doing?)
Plus rumours of Gutho playing a middle role.

Then we have rookies in Sam/Toni contracted for next year.

That's a lot of middle options already here for 2024.
Yeah I’d probably only go a middle if they were top shelf. I’d be looking at an edge forward or 2 because that’s where we’re lacking, then maybe hooker there’s room.
Every other position should really only be depth 1-2 year signings for 1-2 seasons/until other players are moved on (or decline to take up their options).
Briton Nikora is who I’d be lining up. Pretty sure he’s still under contract for next year, but time to start getting in front rather than hoping players become available

EppingEel

Juniors
Why do we need to sign a middle replacement for RCG?

Already have the following middles (with NRL experience):

Paulo
Offa
Hopgood
Matterson
Lane
Guymer
Luca
Greig
lussick (has been playing some lock)
Keir (what is he doing?)
Plus rumours of Gutho playing a middle role.

Then we have rookies in Sam/Toni contracted for next year.

That's a lot of middle options already here for 2024.
Tell me who replaces RCG's minutes with similar impact. None of those players (Hopgood and Paulo excluded)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just because our club couldn’t see that Moretti was a better option than an absolute donkey like Mummamoasia doesn’t mean he wasn’t.

Oh that’s right “No matter what the club and Bea Arthur did the right thing”
What are you on about? We kept Moretti and sent Momoisea to the Dogs.
Mummamiasoa is one the most embarrassing footballers to pull on an Eels jersey. No wonder why you loved him.
I was the first one to take the piss out of you merkins for being excited when we signed him. He played more first grade for the Knights than he did for us. You need to move on.

EppingEel

Juniors
But are we after impact forwards or the modern game workman forwards?
I'm not saying exact playstyle, but any good prop on a similar level to Reg isn't coming to the Eels for less than 650k. Hence my point that the 1m or so we have to spend isn't actually that much when you have to spend it over 2-3 maybe even 4 players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tell me who replaces RCG's minutes with similar impact. None of those players (Hopgood and Paulo excluded)
If we are planning to get more carries from our outside backs (especially Lomax) we have less need for RCG’s carries. Then it’s just a matter of distributing his defensive minutes between the other middles.

Ofahengaue
Paulo
Hopgood
Matterson
Lane

That’s probably our best five middles, trying to fit into 240 minutes in a single game. Can they handle 48 minutes each (average)? I think they’ll do it easily. Add a third middle on the bench (Guymer/Moretti?) and they are all averaging 40 minutes each.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
RCG was shot when he came to us.... he had no confidence and was playing like a park footballer for Penrith. I remember vividly multiple Panthers friends of mine laughing and getting the 'good luck' line etc

Any worries about his signing had dissipated within his first month of football with us. Turned into one of the best and most consistent props in the game throughout his time. Should of been a mainstay for NSW but wasn't liked for whatever reason.

Brought aggression and leadership into a position we had lacked for years.

I understand that a few older heads needed to roll after this season, his isn't one that I would have put forward but it is what it is.... Will be hard seeing the big fella in another jersey.

Wish him the best though.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
RCG has averaged 125 m this year. Lomax 170. He will replace Russel who has averaged 109 m. So that's a 60 m gain there. Plus who ever takes RCG mins, will also make metres.....so attack is covered.

Defence won't be an issue.

Matterson may come into the starting side whose output is as good if not better (both players have different skill sets). We can give him more mins

plus there is Guymer who looked promising and a decent work rate. Then there is talk of Gutho playing a middle role. So he may also cover RCG output. Finally one of our edge options can also cover the middle.

EppingEel

Juniors
If we are planning to get more carries from our outside backs (especially Lomax) we have less need for RCG’s carries. Then it’s just a matter of distributing his defensive minutes between the other middles.

Ofahengaue
Paulo
Hopgood
Matterson
Lane

That’s probably our best five middles, trying to fit into 240 minutes in a single game. Can they handle 48 minutes each (average)? I think they’ll do it easily. Add a third middle on the bench (Guymer/Moretti?) and they are all averaging 40 minutes each.
My point was, with the money we have left in the cap it's going to be hard to get a prop with similar value to what RCG provided, and despite the good depth in our forwards, we won't get the same output through the middle. Also looking at that list, we probably need to sign some more middles for Cup, as if we get any injuries to our forwards again, we will be in big trouble without RCG, Makatoa and Ogden

RustedonEel

Juniors
'On Friday evening Josh was pulled over and subjected to a random roadside drug test. The test results were negative and Josh was allowed to continue on his way. Happens to all of us at some stage on the roads. It's the Police keeping the community safe. We appreciate their work.

'There is absolutely no truth to rumours that Josh had any issue. None whatsoever. Enjoy your finals football everyone.'

On Monday night, Gould said Addo-Carr had informed the club about the matter on Saturday, but said the winger had explained to him that the drug test was inconclusive.

It was only on Monday when the club received calls about the issue that they found out he had allegedly returned a positive sample.

'He came in and reported it to us the next morning, but the way it was reported to us, he was very dismissive of it,' Gould said on 100% Footy.

'That there was no drama, he hadn't tested positive to anything, they had allowed him to drive home.

'What Josh thought was because he went and did the second test and they allowed him to go, he thought it was negative.

'I'm not saying Josh was deliberately misrepresenting, that was his interpretation of events. The police have a different interpretation.'

View attachment 93873

LINK
Obviously neither Gus nor JAC watch the TV show RBT.

hindy111

Post Whore
Reg only contracted for next year whereas Junior is on bigger coin over the next two seasons. Most clubs would rather be able to renegotiate on a shorter deal rather than pick up part of the next two years on the bigger coin.

If he can get fit and stay fit Jnr has plenty to offer. The first 6 weeks of the year he looked great. Then he put on about 10kgs

Chipmunk

Coach
Having to let Reg go when you already have 5 spots available have only confirmed to me how mismanaged our cap was or still is…
It's a huge risk letting him go. We've now effectively gotten rid of every player in our roster from 2022 who was prepared to chase anything that would remotely be considered a collision.

84 Baby

Referee
In terms of impact, we need Paulo to be at his best particularly in offence. Then the others need to focus on the defensive side where we’ll see greater and easier gains covering RCG and Paulo’s lacking defence from this year. For me this is Ofahengaue and then trying to develop Guymer into that role. I don’t think Lane or Matterson are capable of being those defensive minded players but playing them as out and out middles probably helps mitigate losing RCG’s attack while no real difference in defence

EppingEel

Juniors
RCG has averaged 125 m this year. Lomax 170. He will replace Russel who has averaged 109 m. So that's a 60 m gain there. Plus who ever takes RCG mins, will also make metres.....so attack is covered.

Defence won't be an issue.

Matterson may come into the starting side whose output is as good if not better (both players have different skill sets). We can give him more mins

plus there is Guymer who looked promising and a decent work rate. Then there is talk of Gutho playing a middle role. So he may also cover RCG output. Finally one of our edge options can also cover the middle.
Yes, Lomax will bring in good metres, and that will help replace Reg's impact through the middle, but to rely on blokes like Matterson (who has had consistent concussion issues), Lane (who has showed glimpses of promise in the middle, but hasn't proven himself there yet), and a young bloke like Guymer, whom I think is more of an edge forward, is concerning.

If our forwards looks like:
8. Paulo
9. Hands
10. Joffa
11. Kelma
12. Cartwright
13. Hopgood
14. Hooker no 2
15. Matto
16. Lane
17. Moretti

What happens when the inevitable injuries occur?

Latest posts