What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
Welch epitomises what Melbourne is all about

if Ryles is bringing him to the club it because he wants him to set the standard on and off the field
Didn't Ryles get let go early on condition he doesn't poach Storm players in first year? If so then not true. But Wishart, what a player, and we could afford him in 2026.

Glenneel

Bench
He is past his best, but his best was pretty good. He is still a first grader.

As for minutes, tonight the following middles all got fewer minutes than Alec MacDonald's 38 MInutes:

Asofa-Solomona (26 minutes)
Kamikamica (24)
Welch (19)

I'd say if it was close they all would've gotten more minutes but they had 59% of the ball. It was a good time to give merkins a rest. We don't know what injuries they're carrying at this time of year.

Apologies for replying to you.
Just on that game how tentative was Haynes. Think Sharkies need to offload him, make Trindle halfback and put someone in a 5/8 or move Haynes to fullback. They'll never win a finals match with him in charge.

Glenneel

Bench
Especially him getting rag dolled into the in goal or into touch every time he ran the ball...now that was super fun.

People have short memories...
This rag dolling is a stupid comment. NRL is full of small fullbacks and few get rag dolled but even if do look at the chaos they've created for the defence beforehand. Walsh, Fuller, Paps, Kini, etc I'd love one of those at Eels.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Good player but too injury prone. We had the season from hell with half our players out injured. No thanks!
Was for last 2 years.....

He played 23 games this year.

Anyhow his injury history wouId make him cheap....plus knights wouId probably contribute.

With Hands, Lussick already here (they provide cover), reckon he is worth the risk.

Glenneel

Bench
Think our backline for next year will be:
longi
Sivo
Peninisi -Dick or Will?
Gutho
Lomax
Will that get us into top 8?
None with express speed but if get D right and forwards dominate there should be some points in the side.
Its exciting.

Glenneel

Bench
Was for last 2 years.....

He played 23 games this year.

Anyhow his injury history wouId make him cheap....plus knights wouId probably contribute.

With Hands, Lussick already here (they provide cover), reckon he is worth the risk.
Can't we offload Lussick? One of the worse signings by BA after Watnot and Forgone.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Can't we offload Lussick? One of the worse signings by BA after Watnot and Forgone.
Why would we want to do that? I get Lussick shouldnt be playing 80 mins, but reckons he is still pretty decent at NRL level.

unless he is on stupid money, keep him to provide depth at hooker. It wasn't long ago we had no depth there.

Brailey, Lussick, Hands and Smith creates depth and good competition

hindy111

Post Whore
Surely we are paying a sizeable chunk of RCGs salary to play elsewhere. I actually dont get letting him go. Most our team mostly had an off season. But i think he still played tough up the middle and is less injury prone.

Why would we be? He had one year left. He wanted 2 or 3yr deal. He has 5 or 6 clubs sniffing. We didn't want to extend him.

I'm not again thinking going. He is our best middle but showing signs of ageing. I always prefer they go a year early.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why does that mean that we are paying him nothing? Unless he signs an extended contract at another club, he'll have a total salary cap cost of whatever his current 2025 contracted salary is. Unless another club is willing to pay his full contract amount, we'll cop the difference on our cap.
I don't think his contract with us has any bearing on what he'd cost another club. If he agrees to zero payout his cap cost to us next year will be zero. His contract with his new club is independent of that.

Where there is a payout from the former club (e.g. Penrith when he came to us) it is negotiated between them and possibly over a number of years. That's the salary cap hit to the losing club. We could've done this with RCG's release but if he wanted to leave then probably not. Then it'd be on our cap. But if there's no payout then he would cost us nothing under the 2025 cap. Either way, the 2025 value of his new contract with his new club has no bearing on us, just as our payout has no bearing on his cap cost to them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He must be confident he will sign another contract. The club has said they will not be paying him to play elsewhere. He is taking the gamble at gaining a 3year contract. My understanding is the club would have been happy to have him play out his final year but would not extend him.
This makes the most sense. But also, I'm sure he already had an offer before he agreed to the release.

hindy111

Post Whore
Have you seen Cleary’s differential in his first 11 years? Not everyone gets to start at the Roosters or Storm.

At the Warriors it was 150+ not bad considering how bad they where and are.
At Tiger his 1 yr was -80 not bad for them

At Penrith it's been
1040+ across both stints.

So all up he is sitting at about 1120 vs - 150