What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Pazza

First Grade
The player was off contract, and no doubt keen to test the market. If we hadn't offered one year with PO he was free to leave at the end of the year anyway. And if we had carried on like sooks and stuck him in Flegg he would've left for sure with no chance of ever returning.

Then we should have just let him go....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
what if the player got the full amount they were looking for and the player option?? i think that is a very likely outcome, especially when there is a lot of pressure on the club to retain players after a period of hemorrhaging a lot of talent.
What if they got overs and no player option? It's the same thing. What if they got massive overs and a club option? Hopefully you see the link.
if the parramatta eels were a business in any other sector of the economy they would have gone out of business long ago
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bicycle ffs

Pazza

First Grade
I am too.

Not because he was a bad coach per-se, (although I don't think he was anything special), it was because he had served his time, was given 11 chances to bring us success, had time to mold the squad into his own, and implement his philosophies and build the club to continue success into the future.
Unfortunately for him and us fans and the club, he (and the club) just couldn't take us to that next level on a consistent basis and to be honest if ever at all.
There's not many coaches that get 11 years of this opportunity to do this at the one club with the lack of success that was produced.
100% I would give up BA'S supposed great year in 2022 and a GF for a change of coach in 2018 or 19.
Loyalty (and hindsight) is easy. I understand that.
Honestly, the writing was on the wall way back then. IMO.
Yet, we've all just endured another 5 more years of an unacceptable premiership drought.
What a waste of time those years were.

I just want to be excited to watch some Eels football again. The way we played and our approach to football was just so same same by the end. It got boring. Can't wait to see what Ryles and his staff can bring to the table.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you keep saying the PO is the lube for the lowball. i dont agree, i think the PO is the lube for the club so the player managers stay happy
No different from paying more money. You realise most of our players don't have player options? Why didn't they want them if we're handing them out for free?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm just glad we put Talagi on display. Let him get a few highlights and show everyone his potential. His NSW cup form was average at best. Almost poor. I'm sure others clubs knew of him but none where offering 400k+ based on how average his form in cup was and a handful of Flegg games.
Massive cock up.

Huggers come at me
Then he would've just left for less money ffs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hoping that by hooking up with Hardie again that we can tap into their extensive business contacts to try and obtain some third party deals for players. Very hard to get ahead without them these days.
And very hard to get them given the lack of value to the sponsors. When we were caught cheating the cap it came out that we were being approached by potential sponsors and were having trouble getting them to sponsor players directly instead, rather sponsoring the club and benefitting from the brand association. TPAs are not allowed to use any club branding or advertise through official club channels.

Pazza

First Grade
No different from paying more money. You realise most of our players don't have player options? Why didn't they want them if we're handing them out for free?

Because our club was in a better bargain position, when we did the PO contracts our club was struggling with players walking out the door, poor optics, media pressure, play managers pounced.

That's my theory anyways, I won't pretend to know whats going on inside the organisation

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tago was available
Should of pushed for more backs prior to season starting..Everyone on here was saying we are thin there.
We already had these top 17 backs on contract:

Sivo
Penisini
Simonsson
Dunster (top 17 when he signed)

Plus these backups:

Harper
Russell
Cini

We brought Talagi into the top 30 and that gave us a full salary cap. With expensive forwards and halves you're not going to have much left for outside backs too. But Lomax is coming next year. No chance he's coming for unders.

Suitman

Post Whore
I just want to be excited to watch some Eels football again. The way we played and our approach to football was just so same same by the end. It got boring. Can't wait to see what Ryles and his staff can bring to the table.

Me too. It was boring for years and we kept making the same mistakes defensively year after year.
We never really showed any consistent improvement.
That's why my belief is that BA should have been moved on after his wooden spoon season. That was 6 years ago, and 6 years later under the same tutor, we almost won another.
How have we progressed given all the extra chances he was given?
The simple answer is that we haven't and didn't.

Latest posts