What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
1727830253324.png

BRAD ARTHUR

The former Eels coach was sacked by the club 10 games into the 2024 season, but has plenty of runs on the board as an NRL coach.

Arthur won 137 of his 264 games in charge of the Eels from 2012 to 2024 for a win percentage of 51.89 and is widely tipped to get a new NRL coaching gig in the future after taking the Eels to the 2023 Grand Final.

Coaching the Blues could be the perfect pathway for Arthur to emulate Maguire and get his name back in the mix to coach in the NRL.

TRENT BARRETT

The former Blues star played 11 games for NSW and was a part of three winning series as a player.

The 46-year-old has coached 38 wins from 121 NRL games for a win percentage of 31.40 at stints at Manly, the Bulldogs and most recently the Eels as Interim coach.

Barrett was set to join Kevin Walters’ coaching staff at the Broncos in 2024, but his future is unclear after Michael Maguire’s appointment, so he would be an excellent candidate for the Blues job.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Plus Doorey isn't first grade quality
Attack wise he is, defensively he is not.....but that's why he is a depth player.....

He looks mobile enough (for edge), so his defensive issues could be fitness, attitude.....which could be fixed in one good offseason.....plus hasn't had a good run with injuries...

Possible? Not sure, let's see if Ryles can work some magic.....

emjaycee

Coach
Interesting comment made to me about the Williams signing. "... will suit the style we are going to play."
Who has seen enough of Williams to try and translate that into what we might see differently next year?

Is it a smaller, more mobile and a faster forward pack perhaps?
If so, Guymer, Williams, Moretti and dare I say it Doorey would all fit this style.
Edit: And Kelma too.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Interesting comment made to me about the Williams signing. "... will suit the style we are going to play."
Who has seen enough of Williams to try and translate that into what we might see differently next year?

If so, Guymer, Williams, Moretti and dare I say it Doorey would all fit this style.
Along with Gutho playing in the middle.....yep smaller, more mobile and faster pack.....

Stagger eel

Staff member

lead by Hop of course.

84 Baby

Referee

Well I believe he’s decent defensively, so perhaps we’re planning on spending less time with the ball 🤔

Incorrect

Coach
Along with Gutho playing in the middle.....yep smaller, more mobile and faster pack.....
Sounds like the Dogs pack with the likes of Curran, Morrin, Preston, Mann, Salmon et al....

Knowing our luck V'Landys will change the rules in February and the game will go back to suiting fat slugs... I guess we still have Emu and Jnr on the books so we might still be OK....

Avenger

Immortal

Our line speed has been garbage for a long time now. That’s where I think we are heading. More up tempo with faster play the balls. BA had us having slow play the balls and allowing the other team quick play the balls to reduce penalties being conceded. Looked like a 1970’s style as far as line speed was concerned. f**k I’m glad he’s gone.

emjaycee

Coach
Our line speed has been garbage for a long time now. That’s where I think we are heading. More up tempo with faster play the balls. BA had us having slow play the balls and allowing the other team quick play the balls to reduce penalties being conceded. Looked like a 1970’s style as far as line speed was concerned. f**k I’m glad he’s gone.
Williams seems to have a good offload on him too, which hopefully we will keep and improve player awareness and 2nd phase drive.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
PTB speed slow or fast, does not seem to affect a side's ability to win: