What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
The Panthers are where they are today because of Gus...otherwise, why weren't they just as successful before he got there?

To implement the strategy they have, it takes a very patient and long term commitment, as you won't see the results for a decade, as we are now.

It'll likely happen again the Dogs, but again, most of the success will come once Gus has walked out the door.
If the grubs at Belmore have any sort of dynasty close to Penrith.

Then i reckon there will be a massive exodus of people leaving Sydney.

I don't think anyone in Sydney could handle the carry-on from those wankers year after year winning it would drive everyone out of the city.

Zoso

Juniors

I don't think anyone in Sydney could handle the carry-on from those wankers year after year winning it would drive everyone out of the city.
Amen to that. I’ve had enough of the ‘Bulldog spirit’ bullshit to last me lifetime already.

T.S Quint

Coach

oQqVNN.gif

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The Panthers are where they are today because of Gus...otherwise, why weren't they just as successful before he got there?

To implement the strategy they have, it takes a very patient and long term commitment, as you won't see the results for a decade, as we are now.

It'll likely happen again the Dogs, but again, most of the success will come once Gus has walked out the door.
Panthers finished 2nd the year before Gus got there....and won the comp year after he left.....

hindy111

Post Whore
Gus got into Penrith and brought his mate James Packer in to distribute cash.

Gus got into Canterbury and brought in Arthur Laundy to distribute cash.

This is what Gus does. This is why those clubs became better.
Bring in the big bucks to the Eels and we can have a similar type of improvement.

Dogs where 1.5 mill under cap this year and the squad on paper is average. Yet finished 5th

hindy111

Post Whore
Gus got into Penrith and brought his mate James Packer in to distribute cash.

Gus got into Canterbury and brought in Arthur Laundy to distribute cash.

This is what Gus does. This is why those clubs became better.

Bring in the big bucks to the Eels and we can have a similar type of improvement.

Also Gus didn't produce Cleary local product. He is arguably the GOAT. Also Yeo and Too who both are arguably the top 5 ever in their positions.
All these 3 guys come thru at similar times helped the dynasty. At age 19 Ivan made a comment that Yeo will play for Australia and be one of the best ever. Most called Yeo a dud for his first 3 or so.years in the NRL. Ivan persisted.

Chipmunk

Coach
Gus was just a piece of the puzzle..

Ivan doesn't come to the Riff when he does there is no Nathan.

If Gus doesn't put in place the right people they don't start the process..

Dogs may have success but they may not what works at one club may not work at another..
I'd argue there is very few people in the game of rugby league who can put the right people in place. Gus is one of a very very small list...of probably 3 people

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also Gus didn't produce Cleary local product. He is arguably the GOAT. Also Yeo and Too who both are arguably the top 5 ever in their positions.
All these 3 guys come thru at similar times helped the dynasty. At age 19 Ivan made a comment that Yeo will play for Australia and be one of the best ever. Most called Yeo a dud for his first 3 or so.years in the NRL. Ivan persisted.

Nathan Cleary is a brilliant player, and one I'd have at the Eels without missing a beat.

However, I, for one, would struggle to call him the GOAT, simply because he hasn't dominated at the highest level.

Jonathan Thurston, and Andrew Johns, won fewer comps than Cleary, but were several gears above their fellow players in the Origin arena, and I'd say they are higher in the GOAT list because of it.

I would still sell the Leagues club to have Cleary in the Blue and Gold, though.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The only year above 10th spot across a 9 year period. Certainly weren't building an empire prior to his arrival with those results.
2010 was a soft premiership once Melbourne were wiped out in round 6.

St George, Penrith, Gold Coast Titans and Wests Tigers were the remaining top 4 sides.

Can you imagine a time ever again when the Titans and Tigers are both in the top 4.

Penrith back then had not played finals since 2004 and faded in the finals pretty easily.

Screenshot_20241008_153503_Samsung Internet.jpg

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The only year above 10th spot across a 9 year period. Certainly weren't building an empire prior to his arrival with those results.
Incorrect, was only previous 5 years....3 years was under Gus. After they finished 2nd, Gus took over and the next 3 years they finished 12, 15 and 10th.

hindy111

Post Whore
Nathan Cleary is a brilliant player, and one I'd have at the Eels without missing a beat.

However, I, for one, would struggle to call him the GOAT, simply because he hasn't dominated at the highest level.

Jonathan Thurston, and Andrew Johns, won fewer comps than Cleary, but were several gears above their fellow players in the Origin arena, and I'd say they are higher in the GOAT list because of it.

I would still sell the Leagues club to have Cleary in the Blue and Gold, though.

I'm just saying he is in discussions of GOAT ( not there yet) and a huge part of the reason Penrith are strong. Had Gus not arrived Nathan still would have made the Panthers strong

Latest posts