What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

JokerEel

Coach
I don't get letting Gutho go Early.. He is the best trainer in the squad and the leader if he Buys into what JR is selling you want someone like him leading the culture in the office season..

It's not like they will have someone to replace his contract dollars next year.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Yep Sloan is a big no for me Iongi is better than him already

Sloan is only 22 years old. He is an absolute cat in defence, woeful… but ball in hand he is a phenomenal talent. I honestly think he is just about the most natural footballer in the comp, watching him in space he is all class.

On potential alone he would be worth a punt.

Smart by Flanagan, Gutho is the perfect teacher for him. Gutho has about 10% of Sloans ability but he can show him how a professional goes about things and how ticker can take you a long way.

JokerEel

Coach
Sloan is only 22 years old. He is an absolute cat in defence, woeful… but ball in hand he is a phenomenal talent. I honestly think he is just about the most natural footballer in the comp, watching him in space he is all class.

On potential alone he would be worth a punt.

Smart by Flanagan, Gutho is the perfect teacher for him. Gutho has about 10% of Sloans ability but he can show him how a professional goes about things and how ticker can take you a long way.

I watch too much footy and don't see anything in Sloan..

I am fairly sure the Dragons have some Juniors that will pass him by soon...

I also don't get the Dragons signing of Gutho with the signing off Holmes

Eelogical

Referee
I don't get letting Gutho go Early.. He is the best trainer in the squad and the leader if he Buys into what JR is selling you want someone like him leading the culture in the office season..

Gutho has found himself in a precarious situation through no fault of his own. He's at an age where the wear and tear of NRL has taken its toll on his body and his speed. Go back a week and look at the GF. He would have given his absolute best but would it have been enough? On top of all that it's been bandied around on here about where he's best suited in 2025. Nobody has really pinned it down with any certainty. In short, square peg in a round hole. We're basically now trying to find a place for him in the 2025 team and beyond.

Last edited:

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I watch too much footy and don't see anything in Sloan..

I am fairly sure the Dragons have some Juniors that will pass him by soon...

I also don't get the Dragons signing of Gutho with the signing off Holmes

I watch a lot of footy too and have a different opinion. He was a prodigy in the junior grades.

Massive chance he never reaches his potential, especially considering his defensive application… but he’s only a kid

I’m excited for Iongi, but he is far from proven

Arbitaar1

Juniors

From what I’m reading they ain’t letting him go early. He can negotiate with other clubs on November 1. sounds like they just said forget the 3 weeks.

More than likely Gutho and manager has gone to ryles and said I want to be re-signed now and ryles has turned around and said let’s see how you go next year. Gutho and manager have said we will go to open market on November 1 and ryles has turned around and said we will let you negotiate now.

To be fair, they're not necessarily going to let him go early. But I suspect the KPIs for 2025 are based around an assumption that we finish a respectable midtable, and in 2026 be a lot better. If that's the case then maybe we take a bath and hope for some unexpected good fortune. Whether the coach and management team have the patience to withstand the inevitable pressures from our very calm and considered fan base will be interesting to see.

Chipmunk

Coach
From what I’m reading they ain’t letting him go early. He can negotiate with other clubs on November 1. sounds like they just said forget the 3 weeks.

More than likely Gutho and manager has gone to ryles and said I want to be re-signed now and ryles has turned around and said let’s see how you go next year. Gutho and manager have said we will go to open market on November 1 and ryles has turned around and said we will let you negotiate now.
What's 3 weeks to wait though? The only reason you'd bother with not waiting the 3 weeks to sort something out for 2026, is that there is an option to get it done for 2025 too.

The 1 November thing is bullshit in reality. Agents know what they can get done after 1 November by now.

Arbitaar1

Juniors
What's 3 weeks to wait though? The only reason you'd bother with not waiting the 3 weeks to sort something out for 2026, is that there is an option to get it done for 2025 too.
Possibly….depending I guess what interest he attracts. The less the club have to pay the better and they might be able to nab another player when the inevitable November 1 circus begins.

The only club I could seeing being interested is the Dragons. Surely the Tigers won’t replace Bula with Gutho. Maybe the Dogs might take a punt?

Avenger

Immortal

I reckon you are bang on.

Incorrect

Coach
Possibly….depending I guess what interest he attracts. The less the club have to pay the better and they might be able to nab another player when the inevitable November 1 circus begins.

The only club I could seeing being interested is the Dragons. Surely the Tigers won’t replace Bula with Gutho. Maybe the Dogs might take a punt?
Another club that would benefit from using him the way JR seems to have in mind for him is Manly. Could cover halves, 13 and 9 there too.... Would be kind of romantic for him to return to his beloved Sea Eagles for a swansong....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The 1 November thing is bullshit in reality. Agents know what they can get done after 1 November by now.
I’d say it’s just a way to make clear that he won’t be extended, but yes it also looks like he’s free to go in 2025 if it suits us financially.

Arbitaar1

Juniors
Another club that would benefit from using him the way JR seems to have in mind for him is Manly. Could cover halves, 13 and 9 there too.... Would be kind of romantic for him to return to his beloved Sea Eagles for a swansong....
If gutho loves the club as much as he says he would buy into what Ryles is trying to do and stick around.

I love Gutho but I’m very confident Iongi will work out and is the future. The only one who is not replaceable and is a must keep is Moses. There is no one of his calibre on the market and besides Cleary there will be no better halfback in the comp.

Latest posts