What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not sure moving on your 2024 captain, players player and coaches player as well as the Ken Thornett Medal winner inside a month of the end of the season will be greeted warmly if the team doesn't move forward next year. Gutho is pretty popular among a majority of fans and the players - keeping some of the other under performing peanuts and letting RCG and Gutho go is IMO not the right way to go but trust the process I guess. Allows us to reassess the playing group but you have to replace them with quality players - the quality available and the HOF's reluctance to pay them what they are worth are going to hamper that side of things.

Not convinced this is all from Ryles either - the talk midway through the season after comments made by Moses in regard to the split between the front office and the players suggests to me that the front office are trying to reaffirm who is in charge at the club. While ever Tweedledum, Tweedledee and Frank Ponissi are involved I am not convinced that we will ever reach the potential we can and should no matter who we get into coach.
I reckon this player cleanout is the reason they sacked the coach

The Colonel

Immortal
Well anyone signing them is basically like us signing Josh Hodgson.

They have peaked if they were playing for other clubs and never had played here & they came onto the market i probably wouldn't want to be chasing them if i was being brutally honest.

I think you missed the point. Gutho and RCG weren't available in 2025 as they were under contract. There is a long time between now and the start of next season. Regardless of if you feel they have peaked or not, clubs are making a lot of movements to re-align rosters - particularly those outside the eight.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
:rolleyes:

If he gets a three year deal he will still be entitled to the difference between the new deal and the $950,000 he is owed for next year regardless of the details of the release - the club will have to chip in. The same way the club has reportedly chipped in for RCG as well. It may not count on next years cap however if there is space this year if it happens in the next couple of weeks which would be why they are trying to get it done now rather than from Nov 1.
From everything I’ve read and heard over the years, this isn’t how it works. The payout from the old club and the contract from the new club don’t have to add up to the value of the old contract. However if they don’t, the player is out of pocket, at least for the remaining year(s) of the old contract. The extra years of the new contract determine his calculation there. Likewise for the club, the cost of the payout (carried on the cap) is offset against the benefit of clearing whatever cap space is freed up by the release.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This is new coach taking control and putting his stamp on the club. Good on management for letting him do his thing and staying out of his way.

84 Baby

Referee
For who RCG or Gutho.

The telegraph said last week we gave RCG a payout as a agreement to mutually release him early i would say its to cover the cost of what he would probably earn next year on his contract that he was originally on like 200-250k as he was on 750k and then he sold himself for around 500k next year at the titans.

That payout will be on the cap next year.

"Having received a payout from Parramatta, the Titans would likely need to find around $500,000-a-season for the former representative prop."

Why would it be on the cap for next year?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This is new coach taking control and putting his stamp on the club. Good on management for letting him do his thing and staying out of his way.

how so ?

its MONs job to participate in these negotiations and I reckon JR has had some input and talent identification but he cant sign anyone without management getting involved

84 Baby

Referee
:rolleyes:

If he gets a three year deal he will still be entitled to the difference between the new deal and the $950,000 he is owed for next year regardless of the details of the release - the club will have to chip in. The same way the club has reportedly chipped in for RCG as well. It may not count on next years cap however if there is space this year if it happens in the next couple of weeks which would be why they are trying to get it done now rather than from Nov 1.
Why would he be entitled to the difference?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Seen Sione Finau name a few times on social media as a possible rumour signing

only posting as Ryles has a connection with him, Finau was with the Storm.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
how so ?

its MONs job to participate in these negotiations and I reckon JR has had some input and talent identification but he cant sign anyone without management getting involved
MON is involved but this is all JR’s doing imo, you reckon MON would have the stones to push out Reg and now Guth???

As long as he is helping and not hindering it’s all good, I still reckon he won’t be here this time next year.

The Colonel

Immortal
Seen Sione Finau name a few times on social media as a possible rumour signing

only posting as Ryles has a connection with him, Finau was with the Storm.
Interesting if that happens as the Dragon fans see him taking over from Lomax next year.... on top of losing Tamale and one of the Feagai brothers would be interesting move.

eels_fan

First Grade
Do you think the Dragons are chipping in for Lomax?
Did the Tigers chip in for Moses?
We're getting Lomax for well under what Dragons were paying him, so no.

Moses wanted out of the Tigers so I doubt they paid him to leave

I’m certain we would be contributing something to RCG, and will be doing the same for Gutho (and Sivo)

they are on inflated deals vs their value and no club will take them at full freight

Latest posts