What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I saw Matt lodge is the face of that video.

No thank you.

Surely Ryles saying he wants to fix culture won't bring in that piece of scum into the place.
Depends what you mean by culture. There's nice guy culture and hard work culture. They aren't mutually exclusive but there wouldn't necessarily be much overlap. And isn't Lodge's problem that his mental illness gets the better of him when he drinks? If so he just needs to stay off the drink. The main problem with Lodge is his age and size. He is 30 next year and bigger than RCG.

Johnny88

Juniors
SHOOSH

Which rising youngster is about to be sacked from his club? His top 30 deal is set to be ripped up because of off-field issues.

SHOOSH II

Which Brisbane Broncos old boy sent an expletive-laden text message to one of the club’s senior figures following the decision to sack coach Kevin Walters. The decision hasn’t gone down well with some of the former players. Nor has the text message with Broncos powerbrokers. And no it wasn’t big Gordie.

SHOOSH III

Which player straight out refused to even entertain signing with a club who were keen on him because of an issue with a former teammate? He had no intention of linking back up with his ex-teammate.

AFL’S NO NAME BRANDS

The AFL have received another brutal reminder of the challenge they face in western Sydney after GWS was rated the one of the least valuable sporting brands among the country’s football codes — above only the Gold Coast Suns. It also shows how much their expansion teams have struggled despite the code tipping in millions of dollars.

GWS’s brand was valued at a dismal $30 million by Brand Finance Australia — about a quarter of the Brisbane Broncos and well below the highest rated sporting club in the country, Collingwood.

The Gold Coast Titans were the worst-performing NRL club, slightly above the Suns in a sign of how the Gold Coast market is a tough nut to crack.

Surprisingly, the once powerful Dragons brand sit just above the Titans and below arch rivals Cronulla with a $35 million value.

The AFL has ploughed millions into western Sydney but it appears they have little to show for it even though the Giants have been a relative success on the field.

The Brand Finance Australia report suggests western Sydney is still well and truly in the hands of rugby league.

Four-time premier Penrith ($108 million) are the fourth-ranked sporting brand in the country behind only Collingwood, the Brisbane Broncos and Carlton.

Parramatta ($71m) and the Bulldogs ($51m) also feature prominently among rugby league clubs on the list, while even the Wests Tigers - despite collecting three successive wooden spoons — are estimated to have a brand value of $42 million.

ANOTHER KNIGHT TESTS MARKET

Rising Knights star Dylan Lucas is set to ink a two-year contract extension to remain at the club, but another one of his high-profile teammates is set to wait until after November 1 to decide their future.

Lucas was a revelation for Newcastle this year with the 24-year-old cementing himself in the top 17. He made his mark in the back row but was versatile enough to switch to centre when needed. Lucas had 12 months left on his deal but opted not to test the open market.

While Lucas is locked in, his back-row partner Kai Pearce-Paul has indicated he will explore his options once the trade window opens.

He is the second high-profile Newcastle player to elect to do so after Kiwi prop Leo Thompson told the club of his intentions to test free agency in recent days.

Pearce-Paul will command more than $600,000 on the open market as his two-year deal with Newcastle expires at the end of next year.

The 23-year-old had a breakthrough year in his first season in the NRL playing 22 matches.

Pearce-Paul and Thompson are expected to attract interest from a host of clubs.

The pair haven’t ruled out extending their time in Newcastle but now the Knights face a battle to retain them.

Eelogical

Referee
*backended

But this is what you need to do to prolong your premiership window. It's just a shame ours coincided with the Panthers' much bigger window.
This makes me think that we've been concentrating on a typical dunny door window while the Panthers have been utilising the full width sliding patio option.

Johnny88

Juniors
Dragons skipper Ben Hunt eyes NRL open market as he claims club ‘doesn’t seem overly keen to keep me’
Ben Hunt has sensationally claimed the St George Illawarra club he captains “doesn’t seem overly keen to keep me” as he prepares to hit the open market.

“I definitely want to play beyond next year,” Hunt said.
“I’m still feeling good in myself and I feel like I can contribute.
“We’ve had that discussion earlier in the year and it went away. They don’t want to offer me anything so I’ll go to November 1 and see what happens.
“I haven’t shut the doors on anything. The Dragons said they were keen to extend me around April and then they said they’d wait until after Origin.
“Now they want to see how I’m playing next year. It’s all gone quiet and they don’t want to do anything. Doesn’t sound like they are overly keen to keep me.
“It may be in Queensland or somewhere else. I’ll just wait and see. “

SIGNING GUTHO
The Dragons have bought some much-needed experience in the likes of Valentine Holmes and Damien Cook to help ease the leadership burden on Hunt.
They are also in the mix to sign Clint Gutherson who was granted permission to talk with rival teams for 2026. Hunt said the Dragons should pounce.
“He would be an asset,” Hunt said.
“He is a great competitor. There’s talk of moving him to centre or five-eighth. I think we could sign him to play six.
“He is a real organiser and an experienced guy who could slot in there.”

hineyrulz

Post Whore
SHOOSH

Which rising youngster is about to be sacked from his club? His top 30 deal is set to be ripped up because of off-field issues.

SHOOSH II

Which Brisbane Broncos old boy sent an expletive-laden text message to one of the club’s senior figures following the decision to sack coach Kevin Walters. The decision hasn’t gone down well with some of the former players. Nor has the text message with Broncos powerbrokers. And no it wasn’t big Gordie.

SHOOSH III

Which player straight out refused to even entertain signing with a club who were keen on him because of an issue with a former teammate? He had no intention of linking back up with his ex-teammate.

AFL’S NO NAME BRANDS

The AFL have received another brutal reminder of the challenge they face in western Sydney after GWS was rated the one of the least valuable sporting brands among the country’s football codes — above only the Gold Coast Suns. It also shows how much their expansion teams have struggled despite the code tipping in millions of dollars.

GWS’s brand was valued at a dismal $30 million by Brand Finance Australia — about a quarter of the Brisbane Broncos and well below the highest rated sporting club in the. country, Collingwood.

The Gold Coast Titans were the worst-performing NRL club, slightly above the Suns in a sign of how the Gold Coast market is a tough nut to crack.

Surprisingly, the once powerful Dragons brand sit just above the Titans and below arch rivals Cronulla with a $35 million value.

The AFL has ploughed millions into western Sydney but it appears they have little to show for it even though the Giants have been a relative success on the field.

The Brand Finance Australia report suggests western Sydney is still well and truly in the. hands of rugby league.

Four-time premier Penrith ($108 million) are the fourth-ranked sporting brand in the country behind only Collingwood, the Brisbane Broncos and Carlton.

Parramatta ($71m) and the Bulldogs ($51m) also feature prominently among rugby league clubs on the list, while even the Wests Tigers - despite collecting three successive wooden spoons — are estimated to have a brand value of $42 million.

ANOTHER KNIGHT TESTS MARKET

Rising Knights star Dylan Lucas is set to ink a two-year contract extension to remain at the club, but another one of his high-profile teammates is set to wait until after November 1 to decide their future.

Lucas was a revelation for Newcastle this year with the 24-year-old cementing himself in the top 17. He made his mark in the back row but was versatile enough to switch to centre when needed. Lucas had 12 months left on his deal but opted not to test the open market.

While Lucas is locked in, his back-row partner Kai Pearce-Paul has indicated he will explore his options once the trade window opens.

He is the second high-profile Newcastle player to elect to do so after Kiwi prop Leo Thompson told the club of his intentions to test free agency in recent days.

Pearce-Paul will command more than $600,000 on the open market as his two-year deal with Newcastle expires at the end of next year.

The 23-year-old had a breakthrough year in his first season in the NRL playing 22 matches.

Pearce-Paul and Thompson are expected to attract interest from a host of clubs.

The pair haven’t ruled out extending their time in Newcastle but now the Knights face a battle to retain them.

REG and the Dogs?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Jordan Semrani is 23 next year, was recruited by the dogs from the sharks.

He made some pretty big metres in a few games this year !
Yeah, not too exciting at 23 with no NRL games and fewer than 20 in reserve grade. But he's already a top 30 player and as you say, his form in NSW Cup has been decent. He's on par with Tago, but three years younger. He'd be a solid backup.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You can really feel the change under Ryles atm. BA would have just resigned Ogden, Harper and looked for a couple more rejects.
If we can get the Dogs to release Samrani early to come and be a backup here, he will also be a reject. And no younger than these guys when we signed them:

Asi
Doorey
Greig
Hands
Miller-Stephen
Moretti
Perham
Rodwell

Just because a merkin is young doesn't mean he will become a first grader.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If Moses doesn't get injured are we still stuck with BA.

Everything happens for a reason.

The BA era needed to end it was time.

We also learnt a bit more about Dylan Brown as well. He wasnt horrible and he is a elite 2IC to Moses.

But expecting him to run the show well that question has been answered and its a firm no.

It's probably helped us as it may turn a few clubs away thinking they could get him to be there Jarome Luai.
If our defence was as good as Penrith’s, we scored more than enough points with Drown as our main playmaker.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Depends what you mean by culture. There's nice guy culture and hard work culture. They aren't mutually exclusive but there wouldn't necessarily be much overlap. And isn't Lodge's problem that his mental illness gets the better of him when he drinks? If so he just needs to stay off the drink. The main problem with Lodge is his age and size. He is 30 next year and bigger than RCG.
Lodge had been punted by 3 clubs since his episode in New York and all 3 times its been a toxic ending.

Broncos, Warriors and Roosters.

Look at these 3 messy exits.

I sense a trend throw in his disgraceful history the bloke is poison. He does truly leave a trail of destruction.

How any club would want him are kidding themselves.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would have punted MON and brought in Brian Smith as HOF.

It would be perfect role for Brian. And less pressure on him working in the background then being the face of the club.

A sharp football mind to report to the board but also Ryles to lean on instead of a a-grade dope in Buckets we have there currently
He might not be in the media, but he GM Football does need to be in contact with player managers. It’s not necessarily a role for a tactics nerd like Smith.