What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
Here is my assessment of all coaches i have seen coach Parramatta.

All different in there own way and have different reasons why we didnt win a comp.

Brian Smith - Great tactical mind, defense orientated, got more out of the side then most. Though never mastered the big games and had the team on edge with mind games texting players and so forth when the stakes were raised. Giving the team an uneasy nervous energy which contributed to some horrific losses come finals time.

Jason Taylor - Came in and did a good job as caretaker coach hard to assess but unleashed Jarryd Hayne from game 1 and took us from 14th to 8th in the space of 10 weeks. Who knows how things turn out if he got the job instead of Hagan.

Michael Hagan - Made a prelim final with a bunch of hard core senior players but 2008 was a downright debacle and waste of year. Should never been signed and has Andrew Johns to thank for being known as a premiership coach. His depressing press conferences actually make BA's not sound as bad.

Daniel Anderson - A rough start but took a smart coach to take a back seat and let his ego out of the way and let the team just go with the flow with momentum in 2009 and it almost won us a comp. His rope-a-dope against Wayne Bennett in 2009 is one of the best coaching performances i have seen from a Parramatta coach.

Brutally unlucky had his job undermined a year later & was a dead man walking for half the season if he got 11 years i imagine we would have won a comp. What Spags did to DA was downright disgraceful and set us down a path that set us back a decade.

Stephen Kearney - One of the worst appointments this club has ever made a downright and utter failure that led us to winning B2B wooden spoons and the worst period this club has had since the 1970s. Signing a retirement home in 2011 and thinking we could play like a robotic Melbourne Storm with a spine of Matt Keating, Robson/Mortimer, McGuire & Hayne was downright stupidity.

Ricky Stuart - Never was the right fit for this place and it was obvious very quickly. Cleaned up some of the mess so BA had a clean slate in 2014. But backdoored it after 12 months when it became too hard. Thanks for 12 glorious months & our 13th Wooden Spoon Ricky.

Brad Arthur - Was fortunate to come in at a time where that had been so much instability from coaching to administration in the joint that BA benefitted from the need for the club to just become stable as a club as unify behind one coach after churning through 6 in 7 years. Lucky to survive in 2018.

Got us to the finals numerous times but like Brian Smith fell short and 2022 was a carbon copy of 2001 GF day where the players weren't mentally ready to play in a GF.

Was here too long cord should have been cut a fair while back.

Trent Barrett - Bazball like game plan all out attack with no defence. Had a shitfight with availability at backend of the year but kept us competitive. Will never be a head coach again but Baz can hold his head up high for the role he played this year in avoiding the spoon and the cards he got dealt as a caretaker coach.
That was a very good read. I especially agree in relation to Daniel Anderson. He was a gun coach. We screwed him over big time.

hindy111

Post Whore
Harper would’ve been on minimum salary. Blaize Talagi was picked ahead of him, and is a better player than Alamoti too. Harper and Talagi were both behind Penisini and Simonsson. Dunno why you’re banging on about Harper. Did he stop us signing anyone?

Alamoti was in the top 6 players grand final day.
His defense is already better then Talagi. Both at age 19 I reckon neither has peaked. I assume both will continue to get better in defense and attack.

Harper was a journeymen that 16 other clubs had no interest in. He had not upside and in the end a Ron Massey cup player leapfrogged him.

Delboy

First Grade
His defense is already better then Talagi. Both at age 19 I reckon neither has peaked. I assume both will continue to get better in defense and attack.

Harper was a journeymen that 16 other clubs had no interest in. He had not upside and in the end a Ron Massey cup player leapfrogged him.
Think a lot of our issues were due to a poorly constructed roster and a salary cap which was far too too heavy with virtually no room for decent signings, especially as we appeared to be short handed for 2 seasons.

some of that issue is slowly being addressed, but Penrith certainly have better eyes from their GM and List Manager, hopefully the new coach will be of benefit in that crucial area.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade

Alamoti is nearly 21. But regardless, everyone knows what would have happened to him if we had signed him.

hindy111

Post Whore
Some of BAs signings

Beau Champion
B. Farimo
J.Falou
R.Robinson.
A.Watmough
Foran
C.Nelson
R.Obrien
Matagi
K.Evans
Vave
Aauvua
F.Pritchard
C.King
G.Jennings
Salmon
Lane
W.Blake
J.Field
Hipgrave
Davey
Grieg
Lussick x 2
Roache
Oldfield
Perham
Laizou
Rein
Ogden
Doorey
Moimesea
J.Hodgson
Murchie
Harper

King-Gutho94

Coach
Some of BAs signings

Beau Champion
B. Farimo
J.Falou
R.Robinson.
A.Watmough
Foran
C.Nelson
R.Obrien
Matagi
K.Evans
Vave
Aauvua
F.Pritchard
C.King
G.Jennings
Salmon
Lane
W.Blake
J.Field
Hipgrave
Davey
Grieg
Lussick x 2
Roache
Oldfield
Perham
Laizou
Rein
Ogden
Doorey
Moimesea
J.Hodgson
Murchie
Harper
Thats almost 3 grades of sides worth of shit right there.

hindy111

Post Whore
Thats almost 3 grades of sides worth of shit right there.

Low budget good signings -
N.Brown, Gutherson, Hopgood,Papali'i, Wicks

He got lucky with a few signings id say. But I don't credit him for any polishing. Hopgood was just waiting for his chance. Papali'i just needed a good pack to me part of same as N.Brown. Gutherson was a excellent pick up. I give BA credit for that

The rest where big names and we paid big dollars for. Notmlike he polished them to a hugh level
Ferguson, B.Scott, MJ, RCG, Matterson

Few others like Takarangi, W.Smith,B.Hands, Cartwright who I give a pass but hardly excelled.

hindy111

Post Whore
Listen nitwit, I'm agreeing with you on both Talagi and Alamoti. But if you want to run with the big birds, then you need to be accurate.

Thanks. The point is Pou is suggesting he has peaked in defense while Talagi a year younger will improve. So it must be a small window?

Pazza

First Grade
Some of BAs signings

Beau Champion
B. Farimo
J.Falou
R.Robinson.
A.Watmough
Foran
C.Nelson
R.Obrien
Matagi
K.Evans
Vave
Aauvua
F.Pritchard
C.King
G.Jennings
Salmon
Lane
W.Blake
J.Field
Hipgrave
Davey
Grieg
Lussick x 2
Roache
Oldfield
Perham
Laizou
Rein
Ogden
Doorey
Moimesea
J.Hodgson
Murchie
Harper
Screenshot_20241014_150256_GIPHY.jpg

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Thanks. The point is Pou is suggesting he has peaked in defense while Talagi a year younger will improve. So it must be a small window?
No, @Poupou Escobar is wrong in this case. Penrith outsmarted us all and got a genuine first grade talent on the cheap. Luckily for Alamoti, May is a germ. But we shouldn’t feel as bad as the Bulldogs. It’s not like we lost him.

emjaycee

Coach
So his first good signing is lomax
I think @hindy111 was only listing the BA signings he thought were shit.
If you're looking for the first good one, you need to also consider he signed the following while here:
  1. Danny Wicks (2015)
  2. Clint Gutherson (2016)
  3. Nathan Brown (2017)
  4. Mitchell Moses (2017)
  5. Maika Sivo (2019)
  6. Blake Ferguson (2019)
  7. Reagan Campbell-Gillard (2020)

Latest posts