What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Whingers and Occasional Optimism XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basil Brush

Juniors
I would not overpay for Norman. I think he is worth 700-800 at absolute most. If we are paying Foran 1.2, that is around 2mio for our 2 halves. Is that too much to spend on your 2 halves?

I don't mind the idea of Benji on a relatively cheap 2 year deal, say 450k per season. He would be a great marketing tool for the club and I believe him and Foz have played together for the kiwis. Not sure how they went together.

Stagger eel

Staff member
If Normie was to go and id be very surprised if he did than I'd target Keary..

I'd also be prepared to make a tough call on Peatsy and maybe give Kaysa the reigns

TheRam

Coach
I would not overpay for Norman. I think he is worth 700-800 at absolute most. If we are paying Foran 1.2, that is around 2mio for our 2 halves. Is that too much to spend on your 2 halves?

I don't mind the idea of Benji on a relatively cheap 2 year deal, say 450k per season. He would be a great marketing tool for the club and I believe him and Foz have played together for the kiwis. Not sure how they went together.

Neither would I, if all the talk about how good our lower grade halves are, is actually true. Benji on a 2 year deal might not be such a bad idea.

Bird in the hand or two in the bush kind of scenario.

This is where the quality of our coaching staff comes to the fore. If they're up to it, they will get it right. Otherwise two or three years down the track we who have memories will rip them a new one...AGAIN.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

I'd also be prepared to make a tough call on Peatsy and maybe give Kaysa the reigns

Agreed, Keary will have a strong pack of forwards and a good 7 (sort of with Reynolds) just like he had with Soufs when Soufs won the 2014 GF.

But I would rather pull of a huge third party deal (if possible) and get Mbye or even better Hayne if he really is to come back.

Kaysa is very impressive - get a hard on watching him smashing the opposition.

Peats next contract maybe a drop in $$$ to be used as an all-rounder off the bench, aka, a defensive Mark Laurie type of roll who can cover 6, 7, 9, 11 and 12. Putting on a bit more muscle weight maybe the go too. Will be sad to lose him - hope we don't. Long term in our BA squad he is and will continue to be an awesome mr fix it. And besides all this, he has every chance of winning a GF or two or three by staying on with us. Moving on to another club may possibly hold him back from winning a GF, just like what happened for him when he left Soufs who went on to win a GF.

Basil Brush

Juniors

Not a bad call re Pritchard and Peats. I would tend to agree. Peats is a tough, angry merkin but not sure he offers enough in attack. Kaysa is probably our long term hooker. However I do also like Kaysa coming on the bench, PJ Marsh style.

So many questions. :crazy:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's a shame Broncos didn't release Taylor to us last year, he would have been the one I would target

Most of the big name half options available are probably in the Norman price range anyway.

If we were looking for a cheapie half for a year or two, Sam Williams wouldn't be a bad option.

Basil Brush

Juniors
I would keep Norman over Mbye, Brooks, Moses, Keary or Marshall.

Imho Mbye will be the best of the list you have mentioned. However, i think he is pretty much done deal at the dogs.

If we can keep Corey, that will also be great.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's a shame Broncos didn't release Taylor to us last year, he would have been the one I would target

Most of the big name half options available are probably in the Norman price range anyway.

If we were looking for a cheapie half for a year or two, Sam Williams wouldn't be a bad option.

I don't think we're looking for a cheapie. The lowest we'd want to spend would be about half a million for a top 17 half. Could we get Blake Green for that?

My preference (if we can't keep Norman for a reasonable price) is for one of the youngsters, but apart from Mbye (who would surely cost more than Norman) they have flaws - Brooks and Moses are poor defenders (Maloney-poor, not Sandow-poor), while Keary lacks playmaking skill. It's certainly a predicament.

Basil Brush

Juniors
I don't think we're looking for a cheapie. The lowest we'd want to spend would be about half a million for a top 17 half. Could we get Blake Green for that?

My preference (if we can't keep Norman for a reasonable price) is for one of the youngsters, but apart from Mbye (who would surely cost more than Norman) they have flaws - Brooks and Moses are poor defenders (Maloney-poor, not Sandow-poor), while Keary lacks playmaking skill. It's certainly a predicament.

I dont think green would cost anymore than 500k. He is also a parra junior isn't he?

I think 2 years with Benji under 500k would suffice. A lot happens in 2 years in footy so then we can look more long term.

Basil Brush

Juniors
if you are throwing out whatif's then whatif we offered him $850k now and he took it?

Is norman worth 850k? Personally i think not especially not being our dominant half and foran on 1.2mio (but that deal does look good if he can sort those hammy's out)

yy_cheng

Coach

We have a cheap fullback and hookers to balance off the halves.

Gordon would probably sign on for another year. He said he has 2 good years left in him.

With the hookers, IDG and Peats are interchangeable for mine so whoevver takes the best offer stays.

Kaysa is signed and can be our long term hooker.

and we still have King

yy_cheng

Coach
Is norman worth 850k? Personally i think not especially not being our dominant half and foran on 1.2mio (but that deal does look good if he can sort those hammy's out)

You can't say he is not our dominant half besides $$ wise.

Play wise, they are equal in my mind.

I dont have the stats but he gets probably equal or more ball than Foran.

He does probably 90% of our kicks as well.

Foran is no Thurston or Sterling. He can't carry the team on his own for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.