What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours- Heighington & Lawrence

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The rumours have lessened now with Lawrence being shopped off to Roosters (?) but now they seem to be replaced by rumours of Heighington being shopped to Canberra.

I wouldn't like to see either go as a price for the WT signing frenzy of generally unexceptional but solid players but if we had to loose someone I'd rather loose Heighington than Lawrence as we seem to have more quality, or potential quality, forwards than backs.

Any thoughts?

N.C.

Juniors
Can't see either of them being shopped around... They are mainstays of the side. Both have been walk up starters - barring injury - for the last two seasons. Even our haphazard recruitment team wouldn't sell these guys off on a hunch...

westie

Bench
The cash CH is reported to be on is far more than what he is worth. Would hardly be a bad option to shift an average second rower (yes we have a few of these) for a prop or a fullback (obviously lacking in this department).

Why would we shift Lawrence? Sheens loves him.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The cash CH is reported to be on is far more than what he is worth. Would hardly be a bad option to shift an average second rower (yes we have a few of these) for a prop or a fullback (obviously lacking in this department).

Why would we shift Lawrence? Sheens loves him.

Agree Lawrence is the more valuable of the 2, not that Heigho is not valuable- just we have plenty of options for backrowers. Backs are another question. I'd certainly like to see some fo the remaining fringe players (eg Hanbury / Lui) go first if anybody is being shopped around rather than those 2.

N.C.

Juniors
Who amongst our second rowers would replace Heighington? It's not like we are as awash with them as we were two years ago. We have options, but not too many proven at NRL level, and even fewer with the kind of experience Heighno offers.

Payten, Ellis, Galea - daylight - Mataka, Dwyer. Then there are a couple of new recruits in Moors and Flanagan who are fringe first graders at best, and are yet to prove they can play it the Tigers way... and lets face it, it seems to take forwards a lot longer to adapt to our style than it does backs...

Perhaps you'd like to see some of our under 20's step up, Westie?

b.bear

Juniors
to lose heigno would not be too great a loss he seems to have lost something in his game in the last few seasons maybe injury has taken its toll,we have plenty of options in this position and it will be good to free up some cash.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I just cant figure out the shopping around bit (yeah I know its only a rumour) of 2 good players. In other areas mention is made of WT saying they have enough funds left for 2 more player signings and these 'rumours' are circulating at the same time. Seems very odd to me.

TimmyB

Juniors
Um, maybe the rumours are bullsh*t? Haven't heard the Lawrence one and don't believe it for a second.

stompin

Juniors
I think Chris Heighington still has his best footy in front of him. It was only one season he wasnt at peak - this season. Injuries hampered him.

Last year he was unlucky to miss out on a blues spot, so i would not jump the gun and want to ged rid of a work horse like him. He is our Nathan Hindmarsh. He will have a big 2010 off the back of our improved front rowers.

Chris Lawrence has been one of the most impressive for me this season - he went from having ordinary defense to having fantastic defense to add to his attacking flair.

I saw some good hits from lawrence and good reads towards the end of the season, so he is again someone that i think press for origin selection with a solid start to the season.

RoMo

Juniors
If the club sells LAwrence they are kidding.
Big, strong, fast, good defender (now), finds the line, can turn defence into attack
Does Shannon's dad have a bigger, more geniused son that plays centre or wing ??

westie

Bench
Who amongst our second rowers would replace Heighington? It's not like we are as awash with them as we were two years ago. We have options, but not too many proven at NRL level, and even fewer with the kind of experience Heighno offers.

Payten, Ellis, Galea - daylight - Mataka, Dwyer. Then there are a couple of new recruits in Moors and Flanagan who are fringe first graders at best, and are yet to prove they can play it the Tigers way... and lets face it, it seems to take forwards a lot longer to adapt to our style than it does backs...

My side was posted earlier. I included Heighington, but players I consider his equal were left out. D. Galea I rate far more highly and he has been offered a contract which is simply worthless.

simon says

First Grade
Galea better than Rhino.....hilarious,what about Ben Reynolds or Jefferies,maybe we could slot them in there.

:lol:

westie

Bench
Galea better than Rhino.....hilarious,what about Ben Reynolds or Jefferies,maybe we could slot them in there.

:lol:

Rolling on the ground does not make him a good player Simon. I would even wager that regular mis-tackles leading to tries make him a deadset liability. Sure he's not doing it as much as he was when you guys talked him up as an Aussie player, but the entire forum has turned on him this year - and he's playing better this year than ever!

We lost something like 1 game when D. Galea was a starter. And I've no doubt a lot of that was due to a certain player being injured for a decent time. CH has never hit a player with the vigor that Galea hits every tackle and it's blatently obvious that his ruck defence - aka not failing to get back onside after a tackle - makes him a far superior defender to CH.

Obviously they're both fairly useless in attack, but at least Galea has the mobility and size to attract players, allowing the next runner to have a go.

b.bear

Juniors
Rolling on the ground does not make him a good player Simon. I would even wager that regular mis-tackles leading to tries make him a deadset liability. Sure he's not doing it as much as he was when you guys talked him up as an Aussie player, but the entire forum has turned on him this year - and he's playing better this year than ever!

We lost something like 1 game when D. Galea was a starter. And I've no doubt a lot of that was due to a certain player being injured for a decent time. CH has never hit a player with the vigor that Galea hits every tackle and it's blatently obvious that his ruck defence - aka not failing to get back onside after a tackle - makes him a far superior defender to CH.

Obviously they're both fairly useless in attack, but at least Galea has the mobility and size to attract players, allowing the next runner to have a go.

exactly, heigno just seems to have lost something in attack and defence
cant believe they dont want galea he was one of our best forwards this year and he does hit better than heigno in A & D

N.C.

Juniors
My side was posted earlier. I included Heighington, but players I consider his equal were left out. D. Galea I rate far more highly and he has been offered a contract which is simply worthless.

OK - but the question was not whether you'd include him in the team. The question is who in the WT side would replace him if we gave him the punt?

We do not have the depth of experience or class to simply "replace" one of our most capped back rowers...

That said, I really hope he has a better season in 2010 now that he's had a full year to settle into his new contract.

mortz

you havent watched too muc super league then.... he is a good player, not a fringe player, he has a high work rate and offers alot, you got a good player on your books

N.C.

Juniors
Nope, in fact I haven't watched any... I hope you're right, but the availability of a 21 year old player who is yet to make the transition to a new country and a new competition does not fill me with such confidence that I would let one of our contracted stalwarts up and walk...

Latest posts