What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Our hands are pretty well tired for next year. Okay might be room for say a JAC. Trouble is we don’t save any cap space with Lawrence and Benji, both are on modest contracts and Lawrence has a one club discount.
Moving the big contracts on is near impossible, with Covid making ESL not such a desirable destination and no real demand from other clubs without a massive top up from us.
My gut feeling we might jag one good one but the rest will be just depth signings and my expectations for next year are not great...but from what I am hearing this time next year the war chest will be big and they already know where they want to spend it.....so I know we have been told before many times, but I guess we have to be patient

You could have copy pasted this from any of the past 9 years. The one common thread in all of this is Justin Pascoe who seems to avoid any sort of criticism.

He craps on about "rigour" around recruitment but the buck stops with him. There is no excuse for some of the signings that have been made.

He was stood down for 6 months when it was found he tried to circumvent the salary cap when him and JT conspired to move Farah on. At that end of that period he marched straight back in.

We need competent administrators who can leverage experience they've gained at winning clubs. Adam Hartigan is a good example.

From another perspective, if you are right and we do have a 'war chest" next year how confident can you be that Pascoe will oversee any positive signings in the next 12 months.

The players we're rumoured to be signing JAC and Kevin Proctor are going to attract big money. I'd personally see more value in bringing in Saab and Rhyse Martin who kicked at 94% in his last season at Canterbury.

super_coach

First Grade
You could have copy pasted this from any of the past 9 years. The one common thread in all of this is Justin Pascoe who seems to avoid any sort of criticism.

He craps on about "rigour" around recruitment but the buck stops with him. There is no excuse for some of the signings that have been made.

He was stood down for 6 months when it was found he tried to circumvent the salary cap when him and JT conspired to move Farah on. At that end of that period he marched straight back in.

We need competent administrators who can leverage experience they've gained at winning clubs. Adam Hartigan is a good example.

From another perspective, if you are right and we do have a 'war chest" next year how confident can you be that Pascoe will oversee any positive signings in the next 12 months.

The players we're rumoured to be signing JAC and Kevin Proctor are going to attract big money. I'd personally see more value in bringing in Saab and Rhyse Martin who kicked at 94% in his last season at Canterbury.

I guess you have to have faith in Madge and Hartigan to get it right. A lot of us thought Cleary was guiding us to a new exciting era but he basically took us back and beyond the JT days.
All I know baring the Chooks most teams take a long time to turn things around and even the best signings can go pear shape. The bottom line we can not afford any long contracted duds. So at this stage I would be just excited to see some big contracts removed from our books as to some signings.....of course that’s if we are not topping their new contracts up by a crazy amount

Fordy20

Juniors
Apparently Charlie Staines has been given permission to talk to other clubs and we may be in the running, although we do seem to get linked to every off contract player these days.

stryker

First Grade
Even if we finish last next year we have to persist with Madge. I think one of the big reasons we struggle to recruit and retain is the coaching merry go round.

I hope we can clear the decks and get some really astute signings for 2022
No I don’t agree. He has to be judged on performance and results.

Das Hassler

Bench
Well it seems to be firming that we'll have JAC as our FB next year...Gould says he's not a fullback but he also claimed early in ths season that Melbourne were " not Melbourne any more under the new rules...they've come back to the pack"...yeah right. Anyway...i like the idea of Ado Carr out the back. ..he'll terrorize the middle defenders like no one other than Tedesco...whether it's Grant or Liddle he'll be right on their hip and our ratio of longrange 6 pointers under the posts vs. the usual 4 pointers in the corners will be decidedly better....after spending a few years with Bellamy and the best fullbacks in the game he will know the job....just a matter of time in the saddle. ...IMO a once in an era vital signing!

Das Hassler

Bench
As a winger is one thing...as a potentially / probably matchwinning FB an entirely different thing...remember that Pap was the Storm's 3rd choice FB not too long ago. ...what would be stupid money for him now?

WA Tiger

Bench
Wow that’s just made my day...JAC knows what a fool Latrell was to turn down our offer..Lattrel prob told him so ..He won’t make the same mistake..He’s familiar with the club..He’s bound to have spoken to a couple of players here ..How important is it that we have an excellent full back for the longer term I say whatever it takes. Silly money = silly looking opponents
I get your drift tho 05 we’ve played silly money before for silly players ..This is a whole different caliber of player and likely end game for the club..as u know
He’s not here yet tho I get it.If madge snares him tho I’ll forgive him for all his sins

Last edited:
Try JAC at fullback if it doesn’t work out then he goes back to the wing.
Watching the Storm game tonight Parra continue to fake crusher tackle injuries, 4 out of 5 hit ups their players back into tackles to pick up penalties ,Sivo and Brown repeat offenders, they used this tactic against WT and got away with it and they did the same tonight to great effect.

stryker

First Grade
Like Sheens, Potter, Taylor, and eventually Cleary...

Problem is definitely the coach
If he fails 3 years in a row and collects the spoon, you would reward that with contract extension? Why? What achievement/KPIs etc would warrant such a decision?

stryker

First Grade
I guess you have to have faith in Madge and Hartigan to get it right. A lot of us thought Cleary was guiding us to a new exciting era but he basically took us back and beyond the JT days.
All I know baring the Chooks most teams take a long time to turn things around and even the best signings can go pear shape. The bottom line we can not afford any long contracted duds. So at this stage I would be just excited to see some big contracts removed from our books as to some signings.....of course that’s if we are not topping their new contracts up by a crazy amount
First of all I agree, however this will be difficult to achieve.
Luring talent here is done through job security and large paycheques.
Bringing talent to the club on contracts of average duration and up to a couple of percent above market rate will prove challenging.
Its a hard road when the club fails to perform for a decade.