What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
what ever he is like, if he is more imposing than Brooks, then he can’t be any worse for us atm?

At the ground yesterday and it was sad viewing that out of all our spine players, Laurie, a 3 game NRL player was the only one with a voice (that noticeably stood out)

Hastings I think will atleast give us direction and will bark orders

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I saw him after the trial, signing stuff for fans & he was very chatty with everyone. Probably needs to take that onto the field, or perhaps it's more than that.

gordsy

Juniors
I saw him after the trial, signing stuff for fans & he was very chatty with everyone. Probably needs to take that onto the field, or perhaps it's more than that.

That shows he's a good guy which I like but it's hard to be intimidated by a bunch of kids...

Shredder

Juniors
Broncos need to do something. They are losing all their good forwards.
Hes just about the only marque player they have thats on form.

Good on them for trying to keep him there.

Tigerm

First Grade
Supposedly - effective immediately

Michael Chammas
25 March 2021

Wests Tigers have fast-tracked plans to lure the son of former Roosters great Kevin Hastings back to Australia after a drama-plagued initiation to the NRL. Hastings’ manager, Sam Ayoub, also manages Wigan coach Adrian Lam.

Tigers sources told the Herald the pursuit of the 25-year-old is not a reflection of the club lacking faith in Brooks, however the halfback’s performances over the first two rounds have cast doubt over his ability to lead the club to the finals for the first time since 2011.

Brooks, who was one of coach Michael Maguire’s first retention decisions when he joined the Wests Tigers, is contracted until the end of 2023. It is understood the halfback, who has won 42 per cent of games since his debut in 2013, is on a contract worth close to $900,000 a season over the next two years.

The Tigers had shown interest in Hastings over the off-season, offering the former Roosters and Manly playmaker a deal for this year, as well as the next two seasons.

The Tigers want to use Hastings as a ball-playing lock, similar to the role Connor Watson plays with the Knights. He will also add depth in the halves, as well as at hooker where they have a heavy reliance on Jacob Liddle. Hastings also kicks goals, an area the Tigers have struggled in recent years.

Hastings played 47 games across five seasons in the NRL, leaving the Sea Eagles following a public fallout with Daly Cherry-Evans and then Manly coach Trent Barrett after an altercation following a night out at a Gladstone strip club in 2018.

Hastings has scored 20 tries in two seasons in the Super League.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench

Michael Chammas
25 March 2021

Wests Tigers have fast-tracked plans to lure the son of former Roosters great Kevin Hastings back to Australia after a drama-plagued initiation to the NRL. Hastings’ manager, Sam Ayoub, also manages Wigan coach Adrian Lam.

Tigers sources told the Herald the pursuit of the 25-year-old is not a reflection of the club lacking faith in Brooks, however the halfback’s performances over the first two rounds have cast doubt over his ability to lead the club to the finals for the first time since 2011.

Brooks, who was one of coach Michael Maguire’s first retention decisions when he joined the Wests Tigers, is contracted until the end of 2023. It is understood the halfback, who has won 42 per cent of games since his debut in 2013, is on a contract worth close to $900,000 a season over the next two years.

The Tigers had shown interest in Hastings over the off-season, offering the former Roosters and Manly playmaker a deal for this year, as well as the next two seasons.

The Tigers want to use Hastings as a ball-playing lock, similar to the role Connor Watson plays with the Knights. He will also add depth in the halves, as well as at hooker where they have a heavy reliance on Jacob Liddle. Hastings also kicks goals, an area the Tigers have struggled in recent years.

Hastings played 47 games across five seasons in the NRL, leaving the Sea Eagles following a public fallout with Daly Cherry-Evans and then Manly coach Trent Barrett after an altercation following a night out at a Gladstone strip club in 2018.

LOL ball playing lock my arse. He's here to replace Brooks. Smokescreen and a half.

The sentiment that Brooks retention was Madges decision is simply not true. Madge had just started with the club and Brooks was Dally M Halfback of the year. What was Madge supposed to do? Not re-sign him and start his first year without a halfback?

Either way we need a halfback, as Brooks after 150 games still can not lead a side around the park, yet the club has persisted with him for some misguided belief that he is going to become a world beater, whilst other young halfbacks at the WT like Miller, Drinkwater for example were given little opportunities and shown the door.
Having watched Matt Burton tonight and putting the hype around him aside, IMO he is already a better half than Brooks ,yet he was only playing in his 7th NRL game tonight.
How Brooks has lasted this long with the deficiencies in his game defies belief,as I would doubt it would happen at any other club.

Das Hassler

Bench
Of course if Brooks lands at the cowboys he'll have Thurston there and every deficiency in Brooks game was a strength of Thurston's...apart from the technical side of things Thurston's personality would probably get through to Brooks better than even Johns.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I feel both Brooks and Tigers need a fresh start. Brooks has had 4 different coaches, all with no real success. Put Brooks in a Roosters side and he will probably get his "omg it's the next joey John's" tag back.

I think we have all agreed that we have hitched out wagon to Madge through thick and thin. I'd rather Madge chooses an okay halfback and builds him up to manage the game exactly how he wants

Pezz70

Juniors

Michael Chammas
25 March 2021

Ball playing lock, and what do you do with Twal who is one of three player in the side that you’d actually consider keeping in the NRL team after the first two rounds.

Pezz70

Juniors
It’s my opinion that we are in big trouble, you can see in the performances that a number of players lack the professionalism/discipline to be successful in the NRL.

We really need a tough no dickheads policy. There are at least three players in the side who have had negative interactions with the police over the past couple of years. We have also picked up a couple of players not wanted by other clubs or who have had disciplinary problems at other clubs. Generally, they are dumped from other clubs for ongoing dramas not one off instances. You can’t change a culture positively by bringing in people with track records of ill discipline. My opinion on that is you have no discipline off the field, you’re not gonna have any at training or in a game - obviously this has to be judged on a case by case basis but the general rule should be find yourself another club. You chose to play for the Tigers you need to show professionalism, integrity and judgment off the field and on the field. Ill discipline is a sign that they’re only there for a pay cheque, you’ll never get one hundred percent out of them. I’d rather pay a bloke who is a little short of being a superstar but puts his all in every week. They’re the blokes you build a team around, the grunt work is what gives your stars a chance to shine.

You want blokes in your side who are humble, hard workers not big headed mouths who are chucking tantrums and carrying on all the time. There are six blokes in the usual 17 that I would not give the time of day to. There’s another six or seven that a right on the edge that you’d give a bit more of a chance and 4 or 5 that you’d have in every week.

If I was Madge I’d be pulling individuals aside now and giving them the brief, shut up, do as you’re told, or look forward to reserve grade and no contract renewal. Time to stop molly coddling them and lay down the rules, and stick to the rules. You dont meet the bench marks see you later. Tough love. Shut up and put in or go play park footy, cause there’d be lucky to be 4 or 5 blokes that would get picked up by any other club.

Tiger05

First Grade
You need professional rugby league players. I watched Storm vs Penrith last night and Kenny Bromwitch lost Melbourne a try just with dumb play. That stuff is unacceptable. Burton looked real good to me. I don't think comparing him to Brooks is fair. He looked better than than both Penrith halves to me and they are miles ahead of Brooks.