What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

macnaz

Staff member
Brooks has his issues but he certainly isnt the worst halfback in the game . It would be madness to go into a season without a recognised half knowing Doueihi will be out for more than 50% of it and then relying on a new untested player in Hastings partnering with Madden.. throw in Injuy or sniffles from Covid and we are totally f**ked..

WA Tiger

Bench
Brooks has his issues but he certainly isnt the worst halfback in the game . It would be madness to go into a season without a recognised half knowing Doueihi will be out for more than 50% of it and then relying on a new untested player in Hastings partnering with Madden.. throw in Injuy or sniffles from Covid and we are totally f**ked..
ok great so we avoid the spoon next year yippee, (although imo Brooks isn’t going to help us avoid a spoon, maybe deliver one) but then we are stuck with him until ‘24.. Risks need to be taken, and are taken, by winning teams for medium term success. From what we know, risk wise, Hastings is at the lower end & Brooks is at the higher end, for medium and longer term success. Ive had enough of Brooks messing up opportunities created by the big fellas.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee

100%

If we arent careful we could have a halves pairing of Madden and Peachey or something like that. Even a 3rd choice backup like Talau is gone for most of the year, our depth is virtually non existent

WA Tiger

Bench
100%

If we arent careful we could have a halves pairing of Madden and Peachey or something like that. Even a 3rd choice backup like Talau is gone for most of the year, our depth is virtually non existent
Yea but then at least we have an incentive to chase a half that knows up from down..don’t tell me sheens hasn’t got one in mind, or that we can’t stumble upon one by ‘23….either way it’s only half a season without Douhi and peachy can fill in for that time. We finished at 13th this year so we haven't got a huge height to fall from…next years probably going to be a circus anyway..Risk reward

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
TBH, can’t say I know of the bloke, but if we are going to sign our 30th player, I would hope it’s a proven FG player?
I don’t reckon we’ll sign anyone of note for this season tbh

Cotric was probably the last roll of the dice

Hopefully we can give experience to the young fellas like Scholari, Ogden and Dillon. Ogden to me has looked the best of the young blokes personally

in one of the televised reserved grade games he looked a class above anyone on the field and he wasn’t even playing in his natural position

gordsy

Juniors
I think we need Brooks for next year as he is our best half at the moment. If we finish 14th good luck finding any decent half back who wants to sign with us. If we finish 10th or hopefully in the 8 then it becomes easier.
The other question is who would we target in 2023, all well and good to say piss off Brooks but if we don't have someone in mind and a good shot at signing them then we'd probably end up wasting another couple of years as a result.

I think we need Brooks for next year as he is our best half at the moment. If we finish 14th good luck finding any decent half back who wants to sign with us. If we finish 10th or hopefully in the 8 then it becomes easier.
The other question is who would we target in 2023, all well and good to say piss off Brooks but if we don't have someone in mind and a good shot at signing them then we'd probably end up wasting another couple of years as a result.
The main candidate might be Hastings, depending on his form next season.

Brooks is quite rightly, being second-guessed.

Hastings is here not just to complement Brooks but rough him up a bit and get him tuned. He was signed before Doogie was injured.

And I think we need to give Hastings the benefit of at least three rounds to adjust to the cut and thrust of the nrl.

Doogie will be rushed back in to play somewhere and I like the threat he poses in the backline if the Incumbent halves actually fire.

Something had to give. The less entitled Brooksy feels the better. I guess we will find out.

The knights rumour refuses to die, but it defeats the added value of the Hastings mystery pack to surrender Brooksy without a fight.

That the knights let the dog whisperer go early on some kind of bizarre hope and a prayer of a suitable replacement defies logic.

It’s a supply issue with another club cashed up and vying for players, they missed that somehow.

I hope Brooksy makes a comeback, but Im expecting factory Brooks.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
The point is it’s now or never for getting rid of Brooks. The end of ‘23 is that far away. There won’t be another opportunity. Joey has obviously just had one too many and the moment needs to be seized now. It’s not just a decision for next year.

If we are going to be moving ahead in 22 and 23 especially, the last thing we need is Brooks to hold things up. And he will, as he has done for a long time. Or worse he ends up sitting on the sideline on his $850k golden arse, when the coach simply has to choose between winning and losing. At least that would keep the pessimism bubbling away. There will be easily better options than Brooks soon enough, without further recruiting.

And yes he is that bad!

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
The point is it’s now or never for getting rid of Brooks.

Why ? If he doesn't perform he just doesn't get another contract from us. Simple.

The $850k figure is also all over the place depending on the argument against Brooks. I've seen $600k mentioned recently as well.

We need Brooks for the start at least of 22 season. We have Hastings, Brooks, Doueihi and Madden. Madden is yet to show anywhere near the performance levels of Brooks. Hastings is unproven. Doueihi is injured and has a lot of work to do on his game.

I'd happily let him go if we came out ahead but at the moment it's hard to see that happening.

Brooks has pressure on him as well. If Hastings and Doueihi are our two best options in the halves I reckon Madge will pick them.

Tigerm

Coach
The point is it’s now or never for getting rid of Brooks. The end of ‘23 is that far away. There won’t be another opportunity. Joey has obviously just had one too many and the moment needs to be seized now. It’s not just a decision for next year.

If we are going to be moving ahead in 22 and 23 especially, the last thing we need is Brooks to hold things up. And he will, as he has done for a long time. Or worse he ends up sitting on the sideline on his $850k golden arse, when the coach simply has to choose between winning and losing. At least that would keep the pessimism bubbling away. There will be easily better options than Brooks without recruiting, soon enough.

And yes he is that bad!
I don’t think they will let him go, certainly not yet, with AD out for quite a few games, he will be needed, I think (hope) Hastings will provide the answers to a lot of our issues in the halves.

The Rosco

Bench
The way I see it . . . and I may be wrong . . . is that Hastings has already played NRL for the rooters and Manly, and so knows what his job will be.
Watching limited games of his in England, I think he will adapt back in the big time nicely.
If nothing else, he has a short kicking game and isn't afraid to use it.
Think about it. We are 15m out and pressing. We now have someone that can put a short kick in that isn't near guaranteed to spear over the dead ball line every time.
I reckon he has far more organisational skills than Brooks. Hopefully this will allow Brooks to play a running game and leave the game management to someone else.
But then again it's nearly January, and that's the time of the year when we get our hopes up.
Merry Christmas to all you idiots that like me, support our stupid club.
Cheers boys !!!

WA Tiger

Bench
The way I see it . . . and I may be wrong . . . is that Hastings has already played NRL for the rooters and Manly, and so knows what his job will be.
Watching limited games of his in England, I think he will adapt back in the big time nicely.
If nothing else, he has a short kicking game and isn't afraid to use it.
Think about it. We are 15m out and pressing. We now have someone that can put a short kick in that isn't near guaranteed to spear over the dead ball line every time.
I reckon he has far more organisational skills than Brooks. Hopefully this will allow Brooks to play a running game and leave the game management to someone else.
But then again it's nearly January, and that's the time of the year when we get our hopes up.
Merry Christmas to all you idiots that like me, support our stupid club.
Cheers boys !!!
Problem with his running game tho is, after the gap we all originally found, that was it for Brooks

Latest posts