What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

The Rosco

Bench
Can’t think of another occupation where for 3.5 yrs u continually slide into a deeper abyss & the person the buck stops with being the coach retains his job.Objectively speaking he shouldve been sacked a year ago however I’d b surprised if he isn’t at concord until the end of this season.Because we have buckleys of making the 8 u would have to think that Maguire will definitely cease to b the coach beyond end of this season.
TT, did you think we were gonna make the 8 pre-season ?
If so, why ?
If not, what has changed ?
I'm not trying to be a smartarse . . . just that we mostly figured this was going to be a shitter than normal year for us, and '23 would be looking up.
Until we change the roster, board, management and culture of this place . . . . changing the coach AGAIN is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Tiger Ted

Bench
TT, did you think we were gonna make the 8 pre-season ?
If so, why ?
If not, what has changed ?
I'm not trying to be a smartarse . . . just that we mostly figured this was going to be a shitter than normal year for us, and '23 would be looking up.
Until we change the roster, board, management and culture of this place . . . . changing the coach AGAIN is like putting lipstick on a pig.
I gave us a chance to make 8 mainly out of Hope & being an avid WT fan albeit not massive.The huge positive is we do finally have an intelligent & passionate game manager in JH which is critical re making progress.With the addition of Api & a fit AD our trajectory should be upwards in ‘23.Unfortunately for Maguire he will most likely miss the opportunity to benefit from the most superior spine at concord for over a decade.
I agree with ur point about the systemic issues in that the place is entirely fkd hence issues go deeper than the coach.It won’t shock me if Maguire survives although he’s up against it due to expectation of missing finals 4 consecutive yrs.

WA Tiger

Bench
I’ll be glad when we see the arse end of this discussion…Nothing new there..I think it’s all been said. The jury’s out ..Just waiting for the verdict now

WA Tiger

Bench
Although haha..I did read that sheens said he will “talk with Madge” ..with the context of that conversation you’d think that would only happen if Madge is staying…hopefully I’m wrong..I’m obviously digging pretty deep between the lines for meanings

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
At the end of the day the media smell blood and are piling on the pressure as the more coaches they can sack the greater power they wield. Sacking coaches mid season just kills your season, so unless the new coach is all for blooding new players and trying new combinations, what's the f**king point.
I think Madge would be a good reserve grade coach. He could help chip away the edges from those spoilt cry babies. It may help have less f**k wits in first grade .

The Rosco

Bench
Do we think that Luch dogged it yesterday so we release him early after all ? . . . . . or has he had all his normal enthusiasm washed away by the WT juggernaut ?

Phil Gould

Juniors
I say let him suffer in reserve grade for the rest of the season. It looks like the chance of a premiership was all that was fueling his performance. Why reward him for tanking by giving him a chance at a premiership with another club? You can bet he won’t be playing like he has been if he goes to the cows early.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Naden gets rewarded by not having to get smashed the next four weeks. Please give Junior Tupou a run instead of Roberts or Gildart. Now is the perfect time to give the upcomers a run, they may be the only ones fully incentivized to give 100%. A look at the meters for the game gives one good indication of who is putting in. Some forwards did stuff all.

Tigerm

First Grade

TIGERS POACH CROSS-CODE STAR

The Wests Tigers are expected to land New South Wales Waratahs outside back Triston Reilly.

The 23-year-old has represented Australia in the seven aside game and was also member of the Junior Wallabies squad that took out the 2019 Oceania Rugby Under 20 Championship.

Despite having four Super Rugby caps under his belt, this won’t be the first time Reilly has played the rival code and is set to return to the sport he grew up playing.

Reilly played Harold Matthews with the Newcastle Knights, then moved to Sydney for boarding school at rugby union nursery St Joseph’s College.

The Kempsey native played SG Ball at the Rabbitohs, and at the same time played schoolboy rugby union.

According to The Daily Telegraph the Wests Tigers are set to announce the signing soon, with a lack of minutes at the Waratahs prompting the shift with Reilly set to land in 2023.

Reilly is an exciting prospect for the Wests Tigers as the Waratahs product can play all over the park.

In the past he has predominantly played his rugby league at five-eighth, but played in the centres during his schoolboy days, finally shifting to the wing while at the Waratahs.

OUT OF FAVOUR PANTHERS STAR APPROACHES TIGERS

Out of favour Panthers winger Charlie Staines has reportedly approached the Tigers about a club switch to play fullback.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Staines’ management made a phone call to the Tigers to gauge their interest in signing their client as a fullback for 2023.

Staines is not off-contract until the end of 2023 at Penrith, but has fallen out of favour after the emergence of Taylan May when Brian To’o was injured early in the year.

May was leading the NRL try-scorers tally and switched wings when To’o returned, with Staines dropping to reserve grade where he has played ever since.

However, it appears the Tigers are not interested in Staines as a fullback and are in discussions with Daine Laurie, another former Panthers player to extend his stay at the club.

21-year-old Staines burst onto the scene as a 19-year-old in 2019 scoring four tries on debut and six in two games and scored 14 in 21 games in Penrith’s premiership season in 2021.

However, Staines has struggled to cross the stripe this year and has scored just two tries in nine games, while his path to a spot in his preferred position of fullback at Penrith is blocked by Dylan Edwards.

gordsy

Juniors
I see Staines has approached us to see if we went to sign him, ah yes please.
Apparently we have also signed Triston Reilly from the Warratahs.