What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
Hoping Gildart isn’t horrible!
Anyone have any signing news?? It’s been ages since even a slight rumour.
Yes, it’s been a while hasn’t it. We have 3 to go, from memory we kept one back to the June end date? this year, so maybe/hopefully at least two more not too far away?

I still think Hodgson (Raiders) and Thompson (Dogs) are favourites, imo?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Yes, it’s been a while hasn’t it. We have 3 to go, from memory we kept one back to the June end date? this year, so maybe/hopefully at least two more not too far away?

I still think Hodgson (Raiders) and Thompson (Dogs) are favourites, imo?
These are the rumours that were last circulating. We really need an established centre as well. Kepoa and Talau are both either injured or coming off an injury so would be good to have someone like Cotric.
Isaiah Papalihi is also rumoured. I don't see him leaving Eels but they have cap problems.
Hodgson, Papalihi, Thompson and Cotric would completely change our team for the better

Bennymack

Juniors
Papalihi & Thompson would change our pack dramatically for the better! Chuck in an experienced head like Hodgson to steer the pack around. Probably have to offload Liddle and keep Simpkins as a 14?

Tigerm

First Grade
These are the rumours that were last circulating. We really need an established centre as well. Kepoa and Talau are both either injured or coming off an injury so would be good to have someone like Cotric.
Isaiah Papalihi is also rumoured. I don't see him leaving Eels but they have cap problems.
Hodgson, Papalihi, Thompson and Cotric would completely change our team for the better
I think we only have 3 spots left though, who ya cutting😂😂😂

macnaz

Staff member
Im struggling to give a shit to be honest ,, i just see more of the clubs inability to know what they need to build a team . The players we are targeting are going to add very little to the side if we still have a bog average backline. Anyway I'll sit back and watch players move on to bigger and better things elsewhere while we continue to languish in the bottom 8.

gordsy

Juniors
We suck all round but are stronger in the packs than the backs so why not sign good forwards and base our game off quick dummy half service and running and look to play a grinding play a bash and barge style game.

We will have to tough it out next season unless Tim can deliver the extra 4 games we need to make the 8, based on this year.

All things being equal, that equates to winning an extra 16% of games in the broad by extracting an extra 16% better effort from squad plus the new signings.

Madge wasn’t reliable last year, so I can’t see him squeezing that kind of improvement out.

But Tim and the new assistants should see a change for the better straight away. Change itself can lmprove standards straight away ( hawthorn effect).

We have enough dough for three factory, or a marquee and two subbies. So some big calls coming up.

I have no idea why we are clinging to Brooks other than an extortion of the knights, which I agree with in principle, but I’d rather have a chunk in the bank and ring greedy managers.

Good to see Tim rock up today looking chilled. Had a chuckle at Lee’s 19th century attire I bet. Tim and Madge are the only normal people in the club.

I also appreciated the ninth wonderous immortal of the league, raising Brooksy value by $200k. Helped us out a lot. Massive own goal.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
We have two spots left after elevating the two development guys from last year; Hoffman and Kei.

Korisau, Thomson and Cotric are all on contract for next year, so would need to be released to join us, I guess thats up to their teams coming back from time off, which could be whenever.

Hodgeson is the only one of the four thats actually off contract.

As it stands we need to sign one player before the start of the season.

Having said this, I think Roberts is back on a trial and train so if someone else came up, we could probably punt him. We are skinny in the centres. I know this wont be popular, but we should be looking at Scott.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I think Roberts is back on a trial and train so if someone else came up, we could probably punt him. We are skinny in the centres.
Thanks for that. I couldn't understand why Gildart would say
"I’m looking forward to playing and training alongside James Roberts. He’s someone I’ve watched a lot of. As a centre, I like to think I have a similar style to him. His speed is frightening and I’m looking forward to working with him one-on-on and learning off him."

gordsy

Juniors
Read Lachlan Lam may be the market. Not the worst pick but I'm sure others here would know more about him than me. Still if Brooks went....

Tiger Ted

Bench
Lachlan Lam seems like one of those players getting a leg up because of who his Dad is, like Tex Hoy. Much prefer to pick up Drew Hutchison if we were going after a Roosters half due to Brooks departing.
I’m a fan of Hutchison.He’s a good all rounder & even though unlikely to make the 17 in a full strength rorters team I find it inconceivable that they would let him go as they tend to ensure they have layers of quality depth especially in key positions.

We have two spots left after elevating the two development guys from last year; Hoffman and Kei.

Korisau, Thomson and Cotric are all on contract for next year, so would need to be released to join us, I guess thats up to their teams coming back from time off, which could be whenever.

Hodgeson is the only one of the four thats actually off contract.

As it stands we need to sign one player before the start of the season.

Having said this, I think Roberts is back on a trial and train so if someone else came up, we could probably punt him. We are skinny in the centres. I know this wont be popular, but we should be looking at Scott.
We were in discussions with Scott, not sure about now.

So what ended up of your secret signing ?
Ricky rang him up and spoke to his family.
So i might be good for a few Raiders leaks which doesn’t really help us here.
But to our credit, we came very close.

He’s going out with that cute prop and he’s in a good way at the moment.

No Scott news, we were early adopters, but the longer it goes on for, I think the worse it gets for us.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Ricky rang him up and spoke to his family.
So i might be good for a few Raiders leaks which doesn’t really help us here.
But to our credit, we came very close.

He’s going out with that cute prop and he’s in a good way at the moment.

No Scott news, we were early adopters, but the longer it goes on for, I think the worse it gets for us.
He looks to have gone to Parra. We cant even jag a reject in two instances. The club has to turn it around- I hope Sheens can get a couple of signatures from either Oz or ESL I dont care, as long as they add experience and are in a needed position. I also suspect the Hodgson deal isnt happening either

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Im struggling to give a shit to be honest ,, i just see more of the clubs inability to know what they need to build a team . The players we are targeting are going to add very little to the side if we still have a bog average backline. Anyway I'll sit back and watch players move on to bigger and better things elsewhere while we continue to languish in the bottom 8.
I am starting to get to the thinking more and more that this scenario is becoming unrecoverable

Tigerm

First Grade
I am starting to get to the thinking more and more that this scenario is becoming unrecoverable
I believe it will happen, just need to find those one or two young blokes we are developing, who become superstars of the game. I hope we now have the smarts to keep them if/when we do?

Turbo is a great example, IIRC, Manly were the worse team in the comp at the beginning of last season, until he came back (first game against us😂).

But agree, it is taking a long time to find them? Though some are coming along e.g Stefano?