What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer training with Illawarra Cutters

possm

Coach
RUSSELL Packer’s road to rugby league redemption has taken another significant step with the former Kiwi Test prop back training with St George Illawarra’s NSW Cup team.

In the wake of the return of Danny Wicks and Blake Ferguson in NRL trials over the weekend, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Packer has also teamed up with the Illawarra Cutters in recent days.

After being released from jail last month, the 25-year-old spent the first couple of weeks reuniting with his young family before he returned to the workforce doing maintenance. He was initially training on his own but in the last few days he has been allowed to join the Cutters squad for training only as he waits for a decision on if he will be allowed to play again.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust was on Sunday careful with his comments as he continues to work through the process with the NRL.

“Our club is continuing to assist Russell from an education and welfare perspective,” Doust said. “He is studying and has a job outside of rugby league but his main focus has been spending time with his family.

“Russell has been training individually and has just recently begun joining in some afternoon sessions post work with players contracted to the Illawarra Cutters but there are no decisions or time frames with regards to his potential playing future.” Dragons insiders are adamant the 25-year-old has done everything that has been asked of him and he is desperate to prove he is deserving of another chance in rugby league.

It was recently revealed Packer was an alcoholic throughout his teenage years and only became alcohol and drug free after he entered jail. It is believed Packer hasn’t touched a drop of alcohol since he was jailed and he has no intentions of ever drinking again. Packer is also undertaking rehabilitation courses that are required under his parole conditions. Packer wants to use his own experiences to help other young footballers and he has already spent time with a player from the under 20s competition who had a similar troubled upbringing.

The NRL yesterday would not speculate when Packer will be allowed to play again. While the NRL says publicly that the decision won’t be considered until the Dragons officially register a contract, privately it is understood the NRL wants Packer to prove “he is a fit and proper person”. He also has to complete a rehabilitation process similar to what Ferguson did before he had his contract with the Roosters registered.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has already publicly backed Packer’s return — and while not condoning his actions, McGregor made the point last December that he believed a year in jail should be taken into account when considering Packer’s possible return date.

I hope Packer is cleared to play before rouond one this year.

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
RUSSELL Packer?s road to rugby league redemption has taken another significant step with the former Kiwi Test prop back training with St George Illawarra?s NSW Cup team.

In the wake of the return of Danny Wicks and Blake Ferguson in NRL trials over the weekend, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Packer has also teamed up with the Illawarra Cutters in recent days.

After being released from jail last month, the 25-year-old spent the first couple of weeks reuniting with his young family before he returned to the workforce doing maintenance. He was initially training on his own but in the last few days he has been allowed to join the Cutters squad for training only as he waits for a decision on if he will be allowed to play again.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust was on Sunday careful with his comments as he continues to work through the process with the NRL.

?Our club is continuing to assist Russell from an education and welfare perspective,? Doust said. ?He is studying and has a job outside of rugby league but his main focus has been spending time with his family.

?Russell has been training individually and has just recently begun joining in some afternoon sessions post work with players contracted to the Illawarra Cutters but there are no decisions or time frames with regards to his potential playing future.? Dragons insiders are adamant the 25-year-old has done everything that has been asked of him and he is desperate to prove he is deserving of another chance in rugby league.

It was recently revealed Packer was an alcoholic throughout his teenage years and only became alcohol and drug free after he entered jail. It is believed Packer hasn?t touched a drop of alcohol since he was jailed and he has no intentions of ever drinking again. Packer is also undertaking rehabilitation courses that are required under his parole conditions. Packer wants to use his own experiences to help other young footballers and he has already spent time with a player from the under 20s competition who had a similar troubled upbringing.

The NRL yesterday would not speculate when Packer will be allowed to play again. While the NRL says publicly that the decision won?t be considered until the Dragons officially register a contract, privately it is understood the NRL wants Packer to prove ?he is a fit and proper person?. He also has to complete a rehabilitation process similar to what Ferguson did before he had his contract with the Roosters registered.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has already publicly backed Packer?s return ? and while not condoning his actions, McGregor made the point last December that he believed a year in jail should be taken into account when considering Packer?s possible return date.

I hope Packer is cleared to play before rouond one this year.

He'll be back sooner rather than later if he's genuinely contrite and doing everything it says he's doing because he is rehabilitated.

I hope this sin't a fluff piece.

bottle

Coach
Word on JA is that he is playing for The Cutters at Belmore this Saturday. If anyone knows anything else re game time etc. please pass it on.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I hope Packer is cleared to play before rouond one this year.[/FONT]

Sorry, but there's no chance of that. As has been mentioned, the Dragons need to lodge a contract with the NRL & then they'll decide if / when he can play in the NRL.

I wouldn't have hopes of him playing before June 30.

Steelman

Juniors
Word on JA is that he is playing for The Cutters at Belmore this Saturday. If anyone knows anything else re game time etc. please pass it on.

Have'nt heard anything bout Packer playing this weekend. My mail a couple of weeks ago was
that he would be back in training early Feb.
Nrl time table is apparently end of Feb early March when he will be allowed to sign a new nrl contract.

I believe the club want him to have six weeks of intensive training plus some game time with the cutters prior to his elevation into the top squad.....Maybe things have changed as far as his time table is concerned....

nrlnrl

First Grade
Have'nt heard anything bout Packer playing this weekend. My mail a couple of weeks ago was
Nrl time table is apparently end of Feb early March when he will be allowed to sign a new nrl contract.

I believe the club want him to have six weeks of intensive training plus some game time with the cutters prior to his elevation into the top squad.....Maybe things have changed as far as his time table is concerned....

Until the Dragons lodge a contract, they can't have a timetable for Russell Packer's playing future - that will be decided by the NRL.

Steelman

Juniors
Until the Dragons lodge a contract, they can't have a timetable for Russell Packer's playing future - that will be decided by the NRL.

Yes that is correct, as i said ( the NRL time table ) and they have indicated to the dragons that will be end of Feb early march.

Thats when the dragons can lodge his new NRL contract....Clear enough for u now....:roll:

bottle

Coach

Yep, false alarm.
Sorry troops.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Yes that is correct, as i said ( the NRL time table ) and they have indicated to the dragons that will be end of Feb early march.

Thats when the dragons can lodge his new NRL contract....Clear enough for u now....:roll:

Yes thank you, but some people ( not you ) need to understand that the lodging of the contract & when he's able to play again ( as decided by the NRL ) might be months apart.

They will lodge a contract sometime and he should be made to wait let him have a job for 12 months then see if he likes league enough not to act like a dickhead.

Latest posts