What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

possm

Coach
Front Rowers don't win grand finals - he can be replaced. We diidnt really get our return on investment though.

A smarter club mgt would only have signed him saying that the club is taking a risk and so we will put in place options in our favor to renew you at exiting Salary rates + inflation for 5 years given the investment we are making - instead we got year 1 = cutters and fitness/game time rebuild, year 2 = starting to find some form.

Club mgt at stgeorge is non existent - they are so dumb it is sad. But hey don't dare anyone criticize them or you will be shown the door.

Boys dumb club alive and well.

So you would agree it's a mess; a Millwood mess.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Not so, during the off-season the player leadership group, coach and others designed the power plan and practiced it during the off-season. They all approached the first round with extreme confidence this new style would work. The senior players had ownership of the game plan. Well it did work.

Behind the scenes Millward was busy recruiting and retaining. He recruited Hunt, McInnes and Vaughan to arrive at the Dragons on 1 November 2016. He then went about retaining juniors instead of extending key first graders contracts. Widdop, Dugan and Packer should have been tied up prior to seasons start. The Likes of Lafai, Mann, Milne, Aitken and Nightingale were not so urgent. Losing one or a few of these players would have been easy to replace like for like or better.
With all due respect they all had the power plan theory for the charity shield match where they all played like zombies. EVERYONE here after that match called for all the players heads and wanted to take a punt on Field, Dufty etc etc as we had nothing to lose.
Remember ??

kit66

Bench
Sorry to see him go but he's certainly not irreplaceable. He's not a big metre eater or good for long minutes but he's probably the best prop out there when it comes to getting quick play the balls, he does that exceptionally well. It's a bit of a concern that we let him go so easily though, surely we could have done better handling that. Good luck to him though and I hope he continues to have a great year this year.
At least Easts, Storm, Broncos, Scum, Dogs or Manly didn't get him, then I would have been less understanding I think :p.

Simple the Tigers offer was larger and imo stupid from a desperate club.

Millward stated they will look at options in the market place and if they can get a good solid prop to compliment Vaughan then thats the way they will go.

Lawrie and Kerr will get oppurtunities next year and both desreve a go.

monsterkev

Juniors

Millward stated they will look at options in the market place and if they can get a good solid prop to compliment Vaughan then thats the way they will go.

Now it is a done deal with packer why wait until next year
Bugger packer let him play lower grade and bring through someone else now, at least they will get some experience
I also wonder if packer will keep playing like he has been or start taking it easy

coastiedragon

Juniors
Money from to tigers was to good to pass on if I was getting more money from another company I would go was hoping he signed with us

possm

Coach

Millward could have kept Packer if he let go of Dugan first. He also said the main sticking point was the 4 years rather than 3 years. To me this indicates quite a bit of back loading going on but not taking into consideration the rise in cap.

Walpole

Juniors
The sky is not falling. The sun will still come up tomorrow. We valued Packer at less than the Tigers did and he took the money. Simple as that. Whether us or the Tigers were right will become apparent in time.

At the start of next season Lawrie will be 21 and Kerr 22. If they're good enough they'll certainly be old enough, as the saying goes. And one or both of them will be surrounded by the likes of Vaughan, JDB, Sims, Thompson and Frizzell. No need to look outside the club.

Gareth67

First Grade
Still , it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of a sticky beak , at just what other hard-nosed props are available . Wether that be in the NRL ( which would be very limited ) or the ESL .

I realise that we do have the younger players already mentioned , Kerr and Lawrie , however if Mr . Dugan also decides to say goodbye , why not spend some of his and Packers coinage on one of those mongrel Pommies ? ( no offence intended :rolling_eyes: )

Or perhaps our own Mr. Lesson Ah Mau may know of one his big countryman who would fall in to that category , merely a thought . Another large body whom takes the line on and can give the team the same go-forward and toughness as does big Russ .

FlameThrower

Bench
Still , it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of a sticky beak , at just what other hard-nosed props are available . Wether that be in the NRL ( which would be very limited ) or the ESL .

I realise that we do have the younger players already mentioned , Kerr and Lawrie , however if Mr . Dugan also decides to say goodbye , why not spend some of his and Packers coinage on one of those mongrel Pommies ? ( no offence intended :rolling_eyes: )

Or perhaps our own Mr. Lesson Ah Mau may know of one his big countryman who would fall in to that category , merely a thought . Another large body whom takes the line on and can give the team the same go-forward and toughness as does big Russ .

What's big Mosey doing these days...

Fifita is a wanker amd Gallen his mate is one to.

Come to think of it the emtire sharks team are full of wankers funny that.

Latest posts