What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

RedVDave

First Grade
Really disappointed by this news if I had the choice of keeping either Packer or Dugan it would have hands down been Packer. But alas it is what is, just really disappointed at the lack of character shown by Packer after all our club did for him and this is how he repays us.

RedVDave

First Grade
The next question is who do we replace him with? No good props off contract IMO, Blair & Grant would be the only ones I would consider and neither of them are that great as far as I'm concerned.

Gareth67

First Grade
What's big Mosey doing these days...

Yes that right , kick a bloke when his down . I had dreams of Mose tearing holes in opposition teams and knocking them into next week as far as his defence was concerned .

But injuries put pay to that , besides Flame Thrower , I don't believe that he has that same mongrel that Packer has . I would not take the risk of resigning him with that knee .

IMO , if the Dragons had any contacts overseas , I would be making inquiries about a prop that fits our requirements , more so now that their is a bit of cash available .

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Well I have to say im quite shocked that Packers going......but really not surprised.....the game as far as players staying with clubs is long gone.....shame really when most discussions on footy this year is not so much on the actual games each week but whos leaving where and whos going there and who will replace him or them......thats what happens week in week out now....but what shits me is we are talking about it after 3 or 4 games into the new season.....I think there has been more focus and discussions on Widdop, Packer and Dugans movements on this forum than at any other time I can remember....Im sure The West Tigers fans will be feeling the same way....sadly its the way it is nowadays and will only get worse....thats fact but I dont have to like it

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Andrew Fifita literally won us the Grand Final last year. We wouldn't have made it without him and Matt Prior.
They are just as key as your spine in todays game.

Good for you. Don't the sharks have there own mes
Well I have to say im quite shocked that Packers going......but really not surprised.....the game as far as players staying with clubs is long gone.....shame really when most discussions on footy this year is not so much on the actual games each week but whos leaving where and whos going there and who will replace him or them......thats what happens week in week out now....but what shits me is we are talking about it after 3 or 4 games into the new season.....I think there has been more focus and discussions on Widdop, Packer and Dugans movements on this forum than at any other time I can remember....Im sure The West Tigers fans will be feeling the same way....sadly its the way it is nowadays and will only get worse....thats fact but I dont have to like it

This is a very good post. The NRL is spiraling out of control on this issue. It is sad the focus right now is not on football.

Take a look at the NFL in the US and you can see a well run and professional sport. The big player sideshow is always in off season and it's run as it's own entertainment and is actually fun to watch. The actual trades during a season are very controlled and are set up for two clubs to negotiate an outcome that couldn't benefit both clubs season. They are not a distraction and do not leave one club rudderless. The Australian labor laws have also caused some of our issues as well.

Fifita is a wanker amd Gallen his mate is one to.

Come to think of it the emtire sharks team are full of wankers funny that.
Well as I said in another thread...

Do you want to win the popularity contest or win the premiership.

Pretty simple really.

It's like Newcastle, the miss congeniality of the NRL at he moment

getsmarty

Immortal
Packer to join Tigers as Vaughan signs long-term Dragons deal

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

16 May 2017, 9:41 a.m.
r0_0_4413_2942_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

On the move: Russell Packer. Picture: Getty Images

KIWI international Russell Packer has signed a four-year deal to join Wests Tigers, it was announced on Tuesday.

The move comes less than two years after Packer was offered an NRL lifeline by St George Illawarra, after being released from jail.

Packer spent 12 months in prison for an assault and had been threatened with deportation, then denied a return to playing NRL in 2015, finally making his debut last season.

However, the Dragons were under significant salary cap pressure, after signing Brisbane playmaker Ben Hunt next season, as well as retaining captain Gareth Widdop.

The Tigers came to Packer with a lucrative offer worth about $2 million for four years, the club cashed up after Mitchell Moses, James Tedesco and Aaron Woods announced they would leave at the end of the year.

"Russell has been one of the standout front-rowers in the NRL this season,” Tigers coach Ivan Cleary said.

“He’s a no-nonsense front rower, he really knows what his job is and he delivers and I think he’s only going to get better.

“I think he’s going to have a very strong leadership role here.

“He’s got a great story, a story of hard knocks and coming out the other side, and that will resonate with lots of the boys here.

“He’s very keen to help us regrow what we have here at Wests Tigers, and they’re the sort of guys we want on board.”

However, an hour after the Tigers announced Packer’s exit, the Dragons revealed teammate Paul Vaughan will stay in Wollongong until at least 2021.

Vaughan – who is squarely in NSW State of Origin contention – is arguably the signing of the season, after moving to from Canberra.

"At the start of the season I wanted to start afresh and prove myself all over again. That was one of the biggest things I needed to do," Vaughan said.

“I think I'm halfway to doing that – I just need to keep playing consistent football.

“I've always said I wanted to stay here for as long as I can so with this deal I won't be off-contract again until I'm in my 30s.”

possm

Coach
Who ever we do replace , to take Packers place has got to have Grunt , not just another plodder that takes the ball up , we need a player with that word MONGREL and more MONGREL . Otherwise we dont need to sign anyone .
Millward should have had a plan B and now be in the process of signing this player. The problem we have had since Bennett left is that we never replace like with like or better. e.g. when Smith, Scott, Morris and numerous other first grade players left, we replaced them with bargain players with potential.

possm

Coach
We need a transfer window 1 Nov - 31 Jan.
We need a transfer fee = average annual salary of a players new contract.
We need a cap incentive for junior players in the top 30.
We need the salary cap of each club to be made public.
We need the details of TPA to be made public.

The above measures would reduce the mayhem we are now experiencing. It would prove incentive and reward to develop and retain juniors. And it would provide a greater level of transparency around salary cap management and TPA management.

brokendigit

Juniors
Packer is the half-back of our forward pack. If the other forwards aren't getting over the advantage line, he's virtually ineffective. He rarely carts the ball up for the ugly metres (off our goal line), apart from kick offs. When we're on a roll, he's very good at driving our positive momentum. Look at where on the field Packer has made the vast majority of his metres, it shows that his value to us is generally up around the halfway line or beyond.
He's not a game changer. He's a slightly better than average prop. We've already gotten our money's worth, so no complaints here.
Moving forward, we can spend our money elsewhere, to better effect, IMO.

dragon-83

Juniors
The only reason packer Ah Mau are doing well is not because they are that good it is due to Paul Vaughan being
a leader they are followers not leaders. All their energy and go forward comes off back of him.

SBD82

Coach
Packer is the half-back of our forward pack. If the other forwards aren't getting over the advantage line, he's virtually ineffective. He rarely carts the ball up for the ugly metres (off our goal line), apart from kick offs. When we're on a roll, he's very good at driving our positive momentum. Look at where on the field Packer has made the vast majority of his metres, it shows that his value to us is generally up around the halfway line or beyond.
He's not a game changer. He's a slightly better than average prop. We've already gotten our money's worth, so no complaints here.
The only reason packer Ah Mau are doing well is not because they are that good it is due to Paul Vaughan being
a leader they are followers not leaders. All their energy and go forward comes off back of him.
I'm all for softening the blow, but you two are deadset kidding yourselves.

possm

Coach
Packer is operating under the coach's instructions. Our fullback, wingers and centres often take the first 3 hit ups coming out of our red zone.

Latest posts