What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Smith - Greatest referee in the world?

Ari Gold

Bench
congratulations to Russell Smith, performed superbly under pressure and made few if not any mistakes.

a good change from the sh*t standard of NRL referees...

Iafeta

Referee
He was fantastic, really was. I agree with Gus, if thats how he consistently refs, have him in charge of all internationals.

bartman

Immortal
Good not have to hear/think about the ref making the difference in a game, especially one that ended a draw. Big change from NRL :lol:

OVP

Coach
sign him up Gallop !!

offer him $1 million if you have to ... just get him here PLEASE !!

Evil Homer

Staff member
OVP said:
sign him up Gallop !!

I think just about every ESL fan will be hoping and praying that happens,me included.

bulldog

Bench
He did a great job today , but I think I remember him ruining a few tests a while back . Hopefully all the refs in the series can perform at or near this level...a nice dream anyway , I'm sure we're gonna see some bizarre decisions before the end . :roll:

Corbin

Juniors
i thought he went ok considereding he is from esl which is a HUGE downgrade from the nrl, couple of mistakes but meh no1s perfect

Misanthrope

Staff member
He's reffed one the best games I've seen in recent times. His ESL standard isn't always that high, so I wouldn't say he's the best in the world. Still, good to see a ref who isn't in the NRL capable of handling a game.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Havent seen Smith referee an ESL game for years, but I usually like the way he refs internationals. He tends to let the game flow.

Fampa

Juniors
I took me a while to get used to his leniancy around the ruck and play the ball, I though the penalty count would have been much higher. Well it would have if an NRL ref had been in charge. I like the amount of latitude they give a test, a bit more niggle and a lot more facials. :) Just like the Tasman tests of old.

The Clan

Juniors
i thought he went ok considereding he is from esl which is a HUGE downgrade from the nrl, couple of mistakes but meh no1s perfect

Typical comment from an NRL blinkered biggot!

The NRL is a tougher comp than the ESL but the gap aint as big as you Ausies need to believe.

Still keep on kidding yourselfs right up to the point where GB take over as the dominant international team.

No doubt even then you will need a period of denial and then time to come to terms with your loss of status.

It might not happen this year or next but the standards in the UK are increasing rapidly and it will happen, such is the cycle of sporting dominance.

dimitri

First Grade
i cant believe that this guy has been left out in the cold

because the arl has said only their refs are capable of reffing matches in the past

it was ridiculous seeing aus v nz tests wth bill harrigan in charge

having russell smith in charge today was a very refreshing change

OVP

Coach
Evil Homer said:
OVP said:
sign him up Gallop !!

I think just about every ESL fan will be hoping and praying that happens,me included.

One single game with Shane Hayne/Simpkins/Mander in charge, and i can see you Poms being appreciative of Russell Smith BIGTIME !!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Never seemed to make an offside call, missed high tackles....maybe as soon as they cross the equator they become NRL Refs.

Had the balls to call a forward pass.

Skinner

Coach
I have thought for some years now that he is a world class ref. Yesterday
just proved it.

Cheers
Skinner

dimitri

First Grade
OVP said:
Evil Homer said:
OVP said:
sign him up Gallop !!

One single game with Shane Hayne/Simpkins/Mander in charge, and i can see you Poms being appreciative of Russell Smith BIGTIME !!

haha i agree