What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Smith - Greatest referee in the world?

Broncodroid

Juniors
If the greatest equals the best, then yes he is.

Russell Smith was not overawed by the occasion, his interpretation of ALL rules that seemingly are lacking in consistency over here was 1st class. He helped in making a game in trying conditions top shelf...pay attention NRL referees's.

griff

Bench
It was a great game, and well reffed. He allowed a bit of latitude with slowing down the play the balls where it was required, which made for a closer and more attractive match.

Just goes to show (if anyone out there still believes in the Superleague dogma) that a fast game is not a good game. If he had given the sides 14 metres and made them roll away quickly it would have been a blow out score and a crap match.

Just backs up what I said last week about neutral refs - makes international RL much better. Hopefully the Aus v GB games will be reffed ok by Pakieto or whoever gets them.

Bob8

Juniors
Smith has been a bit patchy in ESL after previously being outstanding. It's good to see him recovering his previous confidence.

shaggy

Juniors
if hes the best ref in the world then why was he on the otherside of the world 4 a test match when there was a gf in his own bkyard
smith will control matches between aus v nz
an nrl ref will control gb v nz
& an nz ref (god nos who) will control aus v gb
the big posibilty is the guy who did the jim beam rep game which was a curtin raiser 2 the test, mick stone was there 2 c how he went & whether he was getting the arl aproval 2 control the tests

nickdraperfto

Juniors
I do think we have some top refs in the UK game. In comparison to other sports such as soccer our refs are exemplary, Sometimes i dont think we realise how good RL refs are! Agreed, Mander is pretty bad.

cheeseman_james said:
if hes the best ref in the world then why was he on the otherside of the world 4 a test match when there was a gf in his own bkyard

The RFL think ganson is better. Its based on ppls opionions . In my opinion smith is the best.

Besides, he got to go to Oz when Ganson stayed here in the freezing cold :D

vbfg

Juniors
OVP said:
Evil Homer said:
OVP said:
sign him up Gallop !!

offer him $1 million if you have to ... just get him here PLEASE !!

I think just about every ESL fan will be hoping and praying that happens,me included.

One single game with Shane Hayne/Simpkins/Mander in charge, and i can see you Poms being appreciative of Russell Smith BIGTIME !!

He's right Homer. Think Ashley Klein.

vbfg

Juniors
dimitri said:
who is your best then

from what ive seen he's better than ganson

Ganson lets the game flow but can come up with some howlers at times. Over the last couple of years I think the best has been Karl Kirkpatrick, a man once made famous early in his career for being chased off the pitch at Wakefield by the locals. He's improved out of sight since then though.

Latest posts