What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russia v Georgia CANCELLED!!

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
RLEF said:
Monday 19 June 2006
WORLD CUP 2008 – EUROPEAN PRELIMINARY QUALIFYING GROUP
spacer.gif
The final European Preliminary Group World Cup Qualifying match between the top two teams Russia and Georgia - due to be played in Moscow on Thursday 22nd June - has been cancelled due to the Georgian team experiencing visa and travel issues.
The details of these circumstances will now be fully investigated by the Rugby League European Federation before further details or comment can be released.
Speaking on behalf of the RLEF, European Development Officer Kevin Rudd said: "We are disappointed this fixture will not now go ahead as planned. A full review of the circumstances leading up to the cancellation will now go ahead.”

http://www.rlef.eu.com/newsstory.php?id=211

Some former Soviet countries do seem to have trouble with Russian visas etc. but how did they manage to make the trip last year? What's changed? It all seems very strange. Why not shift the game to Georgia later in the year. The next phase won't be until October so surely there's time to reorganise for Tbilisi.

Cheezel

Juniors
Hopefully the RLEF can quickly reschedule the match and provide more detail on the cancellation.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Maybe the Ruskies are scared of being shown up in their own country.;-)

If Russia can't play the game, then Georgia progresses, simple as.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought both teams had already progressed.

colonel_123

Juniors
Willow said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought both teams had already progressed.

They had both progressed because of previous qualifying results although this game would have gone towards determining which pool in the main qualifying rounds each country would have been in.

ali

Bench
For sure, the Georgians supposedly don't like the Russians. We'd fill that wonderful Georgian stadium if the match was played in Georgia.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Sportkom said:
Victory without playing a game

The rugby league European Nations Cup B match between Russia and Georgia, which was scheduled for Moscow on June 22, will not take place. The national team of Georgia did not leave for Russia due to political reasons, according to the executive director of rugby league in Russia, Sergey Cerenkov.

“The President of the Rugby League European Federation arrives in Moscow today, in order to be dissembled (briefed??) and to make a decision apropos of the non-attendance of the Georgian team. Most likely, Georgia will be deemed to have forfeited the match. However, this outcome doesn't gladden us, since our team was prepared for the match, and was gathered to play”, said Sergey Cerenkov.

Let us recall that already in the rugby league European Nations Cup B, the team of Russia has played two matches. In the first it beat the national team of Holland (40:14), and the secondly - Serbians (44:6).

[Arsen] IS VOL'SK, [IA] “[Sportkom]”

http://sportcom.ru/sport/regbi/news4497c41d.htm

So maybe the Georgians could have gone but just didn't show up. This is obviously from a Russian POV, the Georgians might have another explaination. Anyway if it is a forfeit and Russia wins they will play Wales and Scotland in one pool and Georgia will play Ireland and Lebanon in the other. Who's to say which is preferable. Georgia could well have got the better deal, though either way neither side will progress.

winnyason

Juniors
so it is explained a match with the potential to draw a big crowd is pulled down by political bullsh*t.............what suprise.

Tomahawk PR

Juniors
Hi, Winny....I thought I'd finally come over here and see what you're up to....

Or as you would say, "mak no nv mind wat i bees doin'"

Lantana

Juniors
Can I ask one thing??

Where has the official RILF statement on this? LMAO

Colin and Geoff probably dont even know this has happened.

f**k this makes our game look bad. I know it is possibly due to subterfuge but hey, for a World Cup you would imagine they should have contingencies in place.

Sorry guys, I've always hated John O'Neill and now I know why, he is the king, and I m jealous he isn't in charge of our game.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GET RID OF THE INCOMPETANT f**kHEADS IN CHARGE OF THE RILF.

Too many Criminals in Georgia nowadays especially in their government. They forget all what Soviet Russia did for them especially allowing them to join the Soviet Union.

At least our Belarus friends have a stable and honest government despite corrupt bush freezing the countries assests. Maybe the little Russians (Ukrainians) will wake up and look to Moscow instead of their westernised corrupt government in Kiev.

An Economic union between Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia needs to occur with others to follows with a representative government of the 4 countries based in Moscow

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Tomahawk PR said:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

This forum is for people like you.

While you're at it, could you drag your old man Woods99 there?

He doesn't seem to have the balls to go in there, maybe he will if he has another bum buddy.

Whats the P R stand for?

Pretend Rugby. :lol:

If you're lost, heres the Pretend Rugby Forum.

http://nospam31.com/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=1&rid=&S=3f16b6781b64c165804dc75447081ee9

Just another kiwi pretending to be a yank.
Show him a big sheep and he'll go and have a wank.:lol:

brendothejet

First Grade
Tomahawk PR said:

TPR...

IVE HEARD ABOUT YOU.

I'M WATCHING.:?

winnyason

Juniors
just got email from rlef, the match is under review............i think at a guess the match may be played some time before the october matches.........probably at a neutral ground.

Latest posts