What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

NRL is so ridiculously amateur hour. Introduce a f**king draft system. Oh a player doesn't want to go to Titans? Okay then, stay at your club. Don't want to stay at your club? Well too bad you don't get to choose where you go

Club doesn't want your services any more, trade them to another club. You are getting paid a lot of money, I don't care if you are homesick, suck it up and deal with it for the next couple of years.

The NSWRL tried to bring in a draft in the early 1990s. It was thrown out by the High Court as being a "restraint of trade" after being challenged by Terry Hill and the NSWRLPA. Only reason the AFL get around it is it is part of their CBA between the AFL and the AFLPA, with the AFLPA agreeing to not challenge the draft's validity in court.

Hence the only way the NRL could bring in a draft is they'd have to persuade the NRLPA to agree to it. To date the NRLPA have said they remain opposed to a draft.

gordsy

Juniors
The NSWRL tried to bring in a draft in the early 1990s. It was thrown out by the High Court as being a "restraint of trade" after being challenged by Terry Hill and the NSWRLPA. Only reason the AFL get around it is it is part of their CBA between the AFL and the AFLPA, with the AFLPA agreeing to not challenge the draft's validity in court.

Hence the only way the NRL could bring in a draft is they'd have to persuade the NRLPA to agree to it. To date the NRLPA have said they remain opposed to a draft.

bet you they would say yes if it could be shown a draft = more cash

Vic Mackey

Referee
Eels is the least favourable IMO, they don’t have anyone I’d take as a trade. Sivo and Nathan Brown but I doubt they’d let either go.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I find this moral dilemma a tough one.

One one hand a bloke needs to look after himself. You do.

But to win, you have to believe in the cause, not just show up.

Then others actually do that, show up, with a bunch of blokes who believe, and get it done.

Many things with no true answer is 450987 on the list f me being angry.

His position at the club now is virtually untenable, the best the club can do now is reach a settlement where we are compensated adequately.

Tiger05

First Grade
Can someone explain why we cant play hardball and say and say enjoy reggies you greedy merkin.

Not me. I want him to stay and play out his contract. To me that is the first option. Sorry we can't reach a deal and you have to play with us. The deal to me has to be clearly in our favor to even be considered. I can't see anyone doing that deal so he plays out the season with us. If he is playing well he make first grade. If not he goes to reserves.

Tigerm

First Grade
Not me. I want him to stay and play out his contract. To me that is the first option. Sorry we can't reach a deal and you have to play with us. The deal to me has to be clearly in our favor to even be considered. I can't see anyone doing that deal so he plays out the season with us. If he is playing well he make first grade. If not he goes to reserves.
The management have already advised that this is what will happen. Just hope they stick to it.

He has been given permission to talk to other clubs, that's all at this stage, doesn't mean they will let him go.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Can someone explain why we cant play hardball and say and say enjoy reggies you greedy merkin.

My guess is we already have approximately $1.5-$2mil of the salary cap playing in that team every week, so don’t want another $350k

Plus if he is still with us he’ll have to be in the fulltime training squad and would be a huge disruption

simmo05

Bench
My guess is we already have approximately $1.5-$2mil of the salary cap playing in that team every week, so don’t want another $350k

Plus if he is still with us he’ll have to be in the fulltime training squad and would be a huge disruption
Dont even play him or let him train. Tell him to pay for his own training, don't use any club facilities, if we catch him at another club training sue the merkin. But unfortunately we will go to water and get a shitty 50 grand transfer fee or something similar

gordynz

Juniors
We need to get the better end of the stick here and looking at the Eels roster, i can't see any reason why a player of equal ability to Matterson would want to come to us. They reached the semi's this year and will only improve next year... Like someone said earlier, the Titans are our best result with Arrow already interested in wanting out.

The unknown

Juniors
Dont even play him or let him train. Tell him to pay for his own training, don't use any club facilities, if we catch him at another club training sue the merkin. But unfortunately we will go to water and get a shitty 50 grand transfer fee or something similar

He can pay for his own strapping tape & Gatorade aswell

axl rose

Bench
This. Think what you will of Sydney Politis but thier 15 million salary cap spend at least plays first grade.

Shredder

Juniors
A player swap is such a rare thing.

Compensation in $ers is more likely, but that extra money cant be used for the cap.

Maybe the "compensation" will be that the other club takes one more of our other players we are trying to offload.

Latest posts