What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

gordsy

Juniors
Agree modern rugby league fckn sucks. Lost all of its attacking flair compared to many years ago, nowadays it’s all about that wrestle
So true. I would love to see a ceo brave enough to say we are going to get rid of the wrestle. As soon as the refs see any wrestle they call held and get off asap. If you don't it's a penalty. The team gives up anymore than 3 penalties in a half and players start getting binned. It will be shit for a few weeks but the long term benefits would be amazing.

stryker

First Grade
That game last night was dreadful. What a bludger of a game all round. I know it's round one but fair dinkum the game lost fans after that shit show.
Yeah it was a pathetic spectacle.
For me RL has been falling down a hill for a few years now. More and more games per season are becoming a drudge to get through.

They really shouldn’t hold these kinds of games.

People risking catching the virus for attending that game in person are entitled to feel ripped off.

If we can’t go to games, we should have robots in our likeness who attend.

I blame the dogs “ toolies”

Vic Mackey

Referee
So true. I would love to see a ceo brave enough to say we are going to get rid of the wrestle. As soon as the refs see any wrestle they call held and get off asap. If you don't it's a penalty. The team gives up anymore than 3 penalties in a half and players start getting binned. It will be shit for a few weeks but the long term benefits would be amazing.

They tried it at the start of 2018. There were 40 penalties A game. Problem was the media hated it and the top teams I.e Storm, Broncos and Roosters were losing games so they buckled and now we’re back to wrestlemania. If the game out lasted the media shit storm for another month or so we would have a much better product today.

gordsy

Juniors
They tried it at the start of 2018. There were 40 penalties A game. Problem was the media hated it and the top teams I.e Storm, Broncos and Roosters were losing games so they buckled and now we’re back to wrestlemania. If the game out lasted the media shit storm for another month or so we would have a much better product today.

Totally agree. I think a way to make it work would be for the refs to blow four penalties and then say anymore of this for the rest of the half people get binned. This way it gets rid of the ridiculous 40 penalties a game crap and keeps the flow of the game and cuts down on alot of the whinging.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

I disagree. You are tackling people so there is going to be a wrestle. Brisbane vs NQ was a decent game. It's just that Parra were crap. The Dogs weren't much better.

We may as well play touch.

Phil Gould

Juniors
I had the same thoughts back then. If they just stuck with it longer, teams would be forced to adapt. Or maybe if they did what gordsy said and started binning players like Smith (he would have retired by now), I feel we’d have a much more exciting game to watch.

I think another problem with policing the ruck is that holding down too long has been mainly subjective. You could have something like a “shot clock” but then attacking players would intentionally hold onto defenders more often. Rules will always be exploited but what rules make the game more entertaining for the fans, that’s the question management need to ask themselves. There were some high paced, cracking games back at the start of 2018, Vic is right on the money about why it didn’t continue.

I Tiger05 is right as well in saying that tackling is essentially wrestling, so it will always be a part of the game, the problem is when the tackle is drawn out to intentionally slow down play. There is a line between the two, where is it and how should it be policed is the question.

When the defense is allowed to rush up early is the other thing that sucks the life out of so many games. I feel this problem needs to be exploited by the attacking team to stop it happening if the refs aren’t going to do it. I’ve seen a couple of times where a player goes to play the ball but is off balance so stops for a second. The defense has rushed off the line and are all way off side. The player then plays the ball and the defense are forced to back peddle before they can tackle. If attacking teams were to fake playing the ball to draw the defense off side, they could actually benefit from a rushing defense.

Everyone wants to see a fast, free flowing game with power and athleticism on display, it’s a pity some of the more influential clubs have built their game on creating the exact opposite situation.

Tigerm

First Grade
I had the same thoughts back then. If they just stuck with it longer, teams would be forced to adapt. Or maybe if they did what gordsy said and started binning players like Smith (he would have retired by now), I feel we’d have a much more exciting game to watch.

I think another problem with policing the ruck is that holding down too long has been mainly subjective. You could have something like a “shot clock” but then attacking players would intentionally hold onto defenders more often. Rules will always be exploited but what rules make the game more entertaining for the fans, that’s the question management need to ask themselves. There were some high paced, cracking games back at the start of 2018, Vic is right on the money about why it didn’t continue.

I Tiger05 is right as well in saying that tackling is essentially wrestling, so it will always be a part of the game, the problem is when the tackle is drawn out to intentionally slow down play. There is a line between the two, where is it and how should it be policed is the question.

When the defense is allowed to rush up early is the other thing that sucks the life out of so many games. I feel this problem needs to be exploited by the attacking team to stop it happening if the refs aren’t going to do it. I’ve seen a couple of times where a player goes to play the ball but is off balance so stops for a second. The defense has rushed off the line and are all way off side. The player then plays the ball and the defense are forced to back peddle before they can tackle. If attacking teams were to fake playing the ball to draw the defense off side, they could actually benefit from a rushing defense.

Everyone wants to see a fast, free flowing game with power and athleticism on display, it’s a pity some of the more influential clubs have built their game on creating the exact opposite situation.
A little bit of the devils advocate here, if you didn't have something to slow the play down a bit, no one could play the game, it is just so fast these days, either something like this or go to 4 quarter footy with a bigger interchange?

gordsy

Juniors
A little bit of the devils advocate here, if you didn't have something to slow the play down a bit, no one could play the game, it is just so fast these days, either something like this or go to 4 quarter footy with a bigger interchange?
You would have a different type of player sure but you would still have a game.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
You would have a different type of player sure but you would still have a game.

This is a bit like what happened when Super League started...Harrigan et al wouldn't blow any penalties and the game was probably too fast to sustain and by the end of the season players were buggered. I do agree it does need to change but it is finding the happy medium.

Phil Gould

Juniors
This is a bit like what happened when Super League started...Harrigan et al wouldn't blow any penalties and the game was probably too fast to sustain and by the end of the season players were buggered. I do agree it does need to change but it is finding the happy medium.
Yes, a happy medium! It’s one of the most physically demanding sports on earth but it is supposed to be entertainment. Too many games have the life wrestled out of them these days. They are more frustrating than fun to watch.

Tigerm

First Grade
Yes, a happy medium! It’s one of the most physically demanding sports on earth but it is supposed to be entertainment. Too many games have the life wrestled out of them these days. They are more frustrating than fun to watch.
The only time it's fun to watch is when we win, no matter how that is done:)

Latest posts