What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Morgan

Eels Dude

Coach
Actually Inglis didn't even shoo him, Robson simply got stepped like a bitch.
Still, the try where Taylor offloaded after having 4 blokes on him was f**king atrocious.

That was a shocker... no way should he have been able to get that ball out.

True EEL

Bench
i'm not attacking Ryan Morgan.....he simply just isn't ready for NRL right now

and in this instnace, i don't think its a case of throw him in the deep end its the only way he will learn. i think he needs to go back and learn in Wenty's team, he needs time and we don't have the time to be carrying players at NRL level right now.......his side has leaked almost all of the points thus far this season and i'm perplexed that he has been picked again this week.....shove Benny Smith back out there FFS?! :?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think Morgan doesn't have the size and needs a full season to work on his game but we don't have the options. We are suffering from poor NYC teams over the last few years and poor retention of players.

Not entirely anyone's fault just what happens sometimes.

The team is not good enough to win a title but if they played to their strengths they could still be a solid top 8 side.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Morgan doesn't have the size and needs a full season to work on his game but we don't have the options. We are suffering from poor NYC teams over the last few years and poor retention of players.

Not entirely anyone's fault just what happens sometimes.

The team is not good enough to win a title but if they played to their strengths they could still be a solid top 8 side.

185cm and 95kg, he isn't exactly small either

PARRA_FAN

Coach
i'm not attacking Ryan Morgan.....he simply just isn't ready for NRL right now

and in this instnace, i don't think its a case of throw him in the deep end its the only way he will learn. i think he needs to go back and learn in Wenty's team, he needs time and we don't have the time to be carrying players at NRL level right now.......his side has leaked almost all of the points thus far this season and i'm perplexed that he has been picked again this week.....shove Benny Smith back out there FFS?! :?

I sort of agree with you on this one, I mean Morgan might have talent but we're yet to see the best of him he'll learn from this.

Just proves the massive gap between First Grade and Under 20s.

This is where the NRL needs to bring a "Reserve Grade" competition, or increase the Under 20s to Under 23s.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Good point.
From memory I think it was Robbo that missed GI when he scored. He moved up quickly to try and shut him down and GI just shooed him away. So I don't think it was entirely Morgan's fault that he scored.

Yep. Inglis swapped with Taylor in attack a few times on Friday. That means he was directly lined up on Robson.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
we don't have the time to be carrying players at NRL level right now

I reckon we've got all season to be carrying players if we have to. This year isn't about winning the comp; it's about preparing for the future.

Be aware, it's not just us. Cooper Cronk said post-game on Monday that the Storm weren't chasing wins at this stage. Instead they're trying to build a foundation for the young guys in the team.

It might come as a surprise to a lot of fans but a team's pre-season goals determine how they approach games. Especially this early in the season.

A lot of you make snide remarks about rebuilding years but they're a fact, and the fact is our club is in one. Our last rebuilding year was 2004. You all know how 2005 went.

mmhb

Juniors
Very surprised Morgan is still in the team after his poor defense this year. Do you think Walker will replace him when he's back healthy?

Seems like we have been rebuilding since 1986 !!!!!!!!!!!!! Patience is wearing thin.

I don't have a good feeling about our squad this year in terms of quality and im not to sure that there are good forces in our club behind the scenes either.

Ryan Morgan is way to small to compete in the NRL and i don't see him growing enough to ever make a impact. If your that small you better make up for it with something special and i haven't seen anything special from him.

We shouldn't have to worry about putting a strong defender on the inside of him , least with Reddy you know he will be safe.

BigErn

Juniors
I know his defence is atrocious (probably 3 times worse than Morgan) but is there any chance for Loko to work his way in to our team? At least he has size and speed, and he can offer something in attack. At the moment it feels like when Hayne has got the ball on the end of a backline move (which is rare in itself), he only ever has one option: to hit the winger. Morgan and Walker and even Whatuira have been standing around like stunned mullets. Hopefully Reddy will teach these clowns how to hit a hole for once.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Does anyone think we're going to win the comp this season?

One of the good things about Morgan in U20s was his defence. He's a fast kid who has a good idea of where to be defensively.
There'll be some learning curves for him along the way, but personally I hope we stick with him for the next 6-8 weeks before making any sort of rash decision.

Think back to Reddy when he started playing in the outside backs. He looked dreadful - was worse defensively than Luke Burt and had hands like Ash Graham. But persevering with him worked wonders - he worked hard at his game and is an extremely dependable defender now with good pace to beat his opposite in attack.

Reddy made the transition from lower grade fullback to the centers - and it took him a couple of years to figure it out. Morgan is a natural center - so hopefully it won't take anywhere near as long to adjust!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Seems like we have been rebuilding since 1986 !!!!!!!!!!!!! Patience is wearing thin.

Mmmhmm....

You must've missed the years from 1997-2009?
In that span we made the top 8 almost every season
We made the last 4 teams in the comp on 7 occasions (playing on the second last weekend)
We made the grand final twice (cheated of a premiership on one occasion by an illegal team)
And we happened to win 2 minor premierships along the way.

It would've been nice to have a legit premiership out of that instead of a 'we would've won one' - but there's plenty of other clubs who would like to have had our success of the past 15 years.

Eels Dude

Coach

One of the good things about Morgan in U20s was his defence. He's a fast kid who has a good idea of where to be defensively.
There'll be some learning curves for him along the way, but personally I hope we stick with him for the next 6-8 weeks before making any sort of rash decision.

Think back to Reddy when he started playing in the outside backs. He looked dreadful - was worse defensively than Luke Burt and had hands like Ash Graham. But persevering with him worked wonders - he worked hard at his game and is an extremely dependable defender now with good pace to beat his opposite in attack.

Reddy made the transition from lower grade fullback to the centers - and it took him a couple of years to figure it out. Morgan is a natural center - so hopefully it won't take anywhere near as long to adjust!

Well going down that angle Reddy didn't become a consistent first grader until 2008 despite making his first grade debut in 2005. Between 2005 and 2007 he played 16 first grade games. So sometimes it helps these youngters to be given a few games in first grade but then back to reserves for a while to develop their games a bit better. Something which probably is best for Ryan Morgan at this stage becuase he's nowhere near good enough to be a regular first grader. He's had a taste of first grade for him which is good for his development, but that's probably enough at this stage.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Well going down that angle Reddy didn't become a consistent first grader until 2008 despite making his first grade debut in 2005. Between 2005 and 2007 he played 16 first grade games. So sometimes it helps these youngters to be given a few games in first grade but then back to reserves for a while to develop their games a bit better. Something which probably is best for Ryan Morgan at this stage becuase he's nowhere near good enough to be a regular first grader. He's had a taste of first grade for him which is good for his development, but that's probably enough at this stage.

Problem with this is there is no reserve comp, the gap between Wenty and First Grade is too big, look at players like Etu and Wright they have been outstanding playing for Wenty but had struggled to make an impact in first grade.

I doubt we are going to make the top 8 this year and I doubt many will disagree with this, our squad this year is a mix of raw players and players past there used by date. this year will be the best opportunity to develop these players even if we go out and purchase bigger and better players next year at least we will have some depth in the back line which we are missing at the moment.

natheel

Coach

thing with Morgan he has got potential which is a good sign, just needs to adjust to the much faster pace to NRL than U20's

Eels Dude

Coach
Problem with this is there is no reserve comp, the gap between Wenty and First Grade is too big, look at players like Etu and Wright they have been outstanding playing for Wenty but had struggled to make an impact in first grade.

I doubt we are going to make the top 8 this year and I doubt many will disagree with this, our squad this year is a mix of raw players and players past there used by date. this year will be the best opportunity to develop these players even if we go out and purchase bigger and better players next year at least we will have some depth in the back line which we are missing at the moment.

I don't think any club should be going out with the attitude that we don't expect to make the 8 this year. The fact we didn't make the 8 last year cost our coach his job. So while preparing for the future you still need to be mindful of the present and that if the club doesn't play to it's best ability each and every year crowds will drop of, memberships will drop off, and the media pressure will be all over us again like last year.

Mmmhmm....

You must've missed the years from 1997-2009?
In that span we made the top 8 almost every season
We made the last 4 teams in the comp on 7 occasions (playing on the second last weekend)
We made the grand final twice (cheated of a premiership on one occasion by an illegal team)
And we happened to win 2 minor premierships along the way.

It would've been nice to have a legit premiership out of that instead of a 'we would've won one' - but there's plenty of other clubs who would like to have had our success of the past 15 years.

Mate if that makes you feel better about our situation then go for it.

But winning the comp is the only thing people remember. Almost winning is not good enough for a champion team like Parra.

We should be not happy with anything other then beating every other team and taking the title. It has been a long ass time and we don't look like we are in a position to get to the top.

Most teams have this slump after winning titles.

Latest posts