What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Webb

Wolfgang90

Juniors
He couldn't do much without the boards approval, he'd bring suggestions to the board & they'd make the final decision. For all we know, he might have wanted to do plenty of things different but the board denied him. At least our finances are in better shape now.

I think it's a bit misplaced he had final say or control over decisions, it was pretty much up to the board.

justadragon

Bench
I can’t wait for the next ‘global’ search which then picks a guy already sitting in the room.
PS Word amongst the staff around the water cooler at Dragons HQ is that Twiggy has his fingerprints all over the decision.
That can only be a good thing, he hasn't got to where he is by being incompetent. If he shakes the board up then good on him for really not wanting to be associated with ridiculous mediocrity.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
That can only be a good thing, he hasn't got to where he is by being incompetent. If he shakes the board up then good on him for really not wanting to be associated with ridiculous mediocrity.
If Twiggy has had something to do with the decision (which I reckon is a very big IF), then he hasn't shaken up the Board at all because the Board hasn't changed. It's the same combination of WIN acolytes and favoured old boys that it always has been. And if Twiggy has leant on the Board to make changes, all they have done is sacrificed someone who's not an old boy or WIN acolyte to make it look like they've done something.

justadragon

Bench
If Twiggy has had something to do with the decision (which I reckon is a very big IF), then he hasn't shaken up the Board at all because the Board hasn't changed. It's the same combination of WIN acolytes and favoured old boys that it always has been. And if Twiggy has leant on the Board to make changes, all they have done is sacrificed someone who's not an old boy or WIN acolyte to make it look like they've done something.
My reference was to what he might be doing in the future of the board, either way if the minimum is getting rid of Haran, I'll accept that as a start. I think there are a lot of moves afoot within the next few months, either way his history is not something that is associated with constant failures or incompetent decisions. If he is our major sponsor next year , guaranteed he will want and expect some sort of success without the dramas. I'm hoping to maybe seeing him at a game or two. Anything is better than what we have now.

Dragon David

First Grade
My reference was to what he might be doing in the future of the board, either way if the minimum is getting rid of Haran, I'll accept that as a start. I think there are a lot of moves afoot within the next few months, either way his history is not something that is associated with constant failures or incompetent decisions. If he is our major sponsor next year , guaranteed he will want and expect some sort of success without the dramas. I'm hoping to maybe seeing him at a game or two. Anything is better than what we have now.
I agree that as the major sponsor, Squadron Energy, which is wholly owned by Tattarang, the Forrest Family Holding Company, will have a fair bit to say about what they would be expecting the Dragons to achieve in the next several years. Success is what they will want to see and if that means culling and improving areas within the Administration of the club and ensuring the right people are employed throughout the club then that would make me feel more at ease for our future.

If only the part owner of the joint venture shows some enthusiasm I'd be more than happy.

Dragons4me

Juniors
This! Good post and my feelings exactly.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Well maybe. We'll have to wait and see. The recent history of this club suggests their modus operandi is to hire someone decent in a key role for a few years and then once things are running OK to replace them with an old boy. For example, coach - Wayne Bennett replaced by Steve Price; Recruitment - David Warwick replaced by Ian Millward. CEO - Ryan Webb replaced by ??? I hope you are right, but with our mob there are always strong grounds for pessimism.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well maybe. We'll have to wait and see. The recent history of this club suggests their modus operandi is to hire someone decent in a key role for a few years and then once things are running OK to replace them with an old boy. For example, coach - Wayne Bennett replaced by Steve Price; Recruitment - David Warwick replaced by Ian Millward. CEO - Ryan Webb replaced by ??? I hope you are right, but with our mob there are always strong grounds for pessimism.
I see your point Johnno.

When you see those examples that you have written Johnno, I ask why do they do this? Would it not have been far better to have signed a more reputable coach than Steve Price - I know that Wayne most probably recommended Price and I suppose they relied on Bennett's judgement but Bennett has that "wretched curse" on the coach taking over from him as we know. The Dolphins might be under par next season with Woolfe taking over. He is a good coach but that curse is hanging over his head. The same happened to Demetriou at Souths after Bennett left and will happen again when Bennett leaves them for a second time and I would hope to retire.

I am really hoping that the Board will do the right thing and ensure that changes to staff will be done with getting much better people in for the next 3-5 years.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Agree justa.

All it may be is he's invested in the club and want's more exposure. Competitive team scheduled for prime time and playing finals means more eyeballs.

Just have to wait and see who gets the gig.

If it's an outside, it will at least shake up the place and lead the further changes but I'm not holding my breath.

Tim.butler

Juniors
I sincerely hope that Twiggy can have a positive impact on the operation of the club but the hard reality is that our Board are responsible for the success of the team and Twiggy will have little ability to provide influence and direction over the Board.
The success of any organisation is the result of the decisions made by those at the top of the organisational tree - the Board.
Unfortunately our Board in all its forms over the last 14 years have not made the right decisions.
They may be wonderful people with the best of intentions, but they clearly lack the right skills to work as a cohesive team and make decisions that lead to success.
Whilst I have been frustrated with our various Boards for many years I hold no ill will for them. It’s no doubt a tough job, but unfortunately they are square pegs trying to fit into round holes.
The best legacy they could leave would be to listen to the likes of Twiggy and come up with a new board structure that brings in people with the right skills - then step aside.

Dragon David

First Grade
I sincerely hope that Twiggy can have a positive impact on the operation of the club but the hard reality is that our Board are responsible for the success of the team and Twiggy will have little ability to provide influence and direction over the Board.
The success of any organisation is the result of the decisions made by those at the top of the organisational tree - the Board.
Unfortunately our Board in all its forms over the last 14 years have not made the right decisions.
They may be wonderful people with the best of intentions, but they clearly lack the right skills to work as a cohesive team and make decisions that lead to success.
Whilst I have been frustrated with our various Boards for many years I hold no ill will for them. It’s no doubt a tough job, but unfortunately they are square pegs trying to fit into round holes.
The best legacy they could leave would be to listen to the likes of Twiggy and come up with a new board structure that brings in people with the right skills - then step aside.
100% Tim. While Twiggy might be good at his business he will leave the running of the Dragons to the Board as they are empowered to do that. Twiggy might like to see us become more successful with results, but the former head sponsor, St George Bank would have wanted to see that as well and so too the other minor but important sponsors.

I can see with the current changes like with Webb being moved on and a few coaches and other personnel being told their services are no longer required and recruiting the right staff, that the Board will be making sure that 2025 will be a year of big improvements right across the entire club with the aim that when the C of E is up and running, the club will be heading towards a top 4 finish in 2025-26.

Time for the Board to make the Dragons great again.

Gareth67

First Grade
He couldn't do much without the boards approval, he'd bring suggestions to the board & they'd make the final decision. For all we know, he might have wanted to do plenty of things different but the board denied him. At least our finances are in better shape now.

I think it's a bit misplaced he had final say or control over decisions, it was pretty much up to the board.
I believe that you are close to the true circumstances with your assessment of the situation Wolfgang.

The man may had been ‘ shackled ‘ to an extent as to just what he could and could not do .

Latest posts