What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryles it is NOT - Rejects Dragons

denis preston

First Grade

BREAKING: St George Illawarra appoint Jason Ryles as head coach​

BY LEAGUE INITIATIVE

May 30, 2023 in Clubs, News, St George Illawarra Dragons

League Initiative can reveal that the St George Illawarra Dragons have officially appointed Jason Ryles as their head coach from the 2024 NRL season.

The Dragons are set to officially announce the appointment to Red V members and fans this week, however, League Initiative can confirm that ink has been put to paper.
Ryles is to be appointed for a four year term that includes performance hurdles in year three and four which will require the team to reach specific benchmarks.
As part of the negotiations, Ryles insisted that ultimate control of the football department must rest with the head coach in order to avoid interference from external factors. Ryles is said to be conscious of the issues that have hampered the club’s performance in recent years, therefore, ensuring that the football department has total control of football related matters, such as recruitment and retention, was a fierce priority for Ryles.

Ryles will now spend the remainder of the 2023 season finalising his support staff and reviewing the Dragons‘ roster until he is able to take over from interim head coach Ryan Carr. The Sydney Roosters have not shied away from airing their displeasure towards Ryles, and initially, were set to insist that Ryles be placed on gardening leave. However, the Roosters will immediately and acrimoniously part ways with their assistant coach.

Who is Jason Ryles?

Jason Ryles made his NRL debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2000 and played 156 games for the Red V until his departure in 2008. In 2009, Ryles joined the Catalans Dragons in France before returning to Australia with stints at the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm.
Ryles commenced his coaching career in 2012 as an assistant coach for the NSW State of Origin under 20s rugby team. He continued in that role in 2013 and achieved success by defeating Queensland’s under 20s team in both years.
After retiring as a player in the National Rugby League, Ryles became the head coach of the Western Suburbs Red Devils for the 2014/2015 seasons. In 2015, Ryles was approached by the Melbourne Storm to join their coaching staff as an assistant coach. He held this position until the autumn of 2020. During his time with the Storm, Ryles also assisted in coaching England’s national rugby union team periodically. From 2016 to the present, Ryles served as the assistant coach for the Junior Kangaroos in 2016 and 2017. In autumn 2020, Ryles joined England as a full-time skills coach, but he was unable to participate in the 2021 Six Nations Championship due to travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. He left the role in May 2021. In 2022, Ryles joined the Sydney Roosters as an assistant coach.
nuffy news center trying to get ahead of the rest with a perceived scoop. No quotes . Hoping that when it is officially announced that Brown is also announced. The article reads like Ryles is searching for a football manager. That wouldn’t be in his job description,would it ?

I would hope that you people would be happy that this circus is finally over.
Also hopefully your management has learnt that to do things in stealth mode is a way better option than letting the media run away with never-ending stories.
I for one am glad to see more of the new crop of coaches coming through.
Demitrio and Fitzy seem to be innovative, I'm not sure on Webster, Ciraldo and Payten as of yet.
New ideas, and natural evolution, are getting brought into the game, not the "tried and tested methods" which some newish coaches, O'Brien, Holbrook and Seibold have tried to implement at their clubs with little success.
Time will tell if Ryles is in the first or second group.
I wish you good luck.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
It's not very often I agree 100% with Crawley on NRL 360 but in this instant I do....it maybe the case that Ryles will not take over till next year which Crawley is dead set opposed to and I agree...there's still half the premiership to run this year and even if a miracle happens we obviously wont make the semis..BUT we still owe it to the fans and this club to perform and win as many games as we possible can.....now whether the new coach can achieve any of this will remain to be seen...but seriously we are not 2 thirds or 7/8 through this year but only 50%....so what are we supposed to do just wait another 10 months till March next year and limp through to September in 2023.....this sitting back and just observing what needs to be done is total bullshit imo....now is the time for the new kid on the block to start leading from the front and putting his personal stamp on the place, beit the team having confidence in him as Head Coach, selections, training drills, combinations, game plans, team structures or whatever....yes hes green as far as the Head Coaching Role is concerned but now is the time to mould the side into a unit that will be better prepared to deal with whats ahead.......he's had enough coaching assistants roles with top coaches to know what's required these days.....its different cattle but still the same game.....you can't drive a car from the passenger seat.........Jason you have plenty of time to make a difference....unfortunately old bastards like me dont

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
It's not very often I agree 100% with Crawley on NRL 360 but in this instant I do....it maybe the case that Ryles will not take over till next year which Crawley is dead set opposed to and I agree...there's still half the premiership to run this year and even if a miracle happens we obviously wont make the semis..BUT we still owe it to the fans and this club to perform and win as many games as we possible can.....now whether the new coach can achieve any of this will remain to be seen...but seriously we are not 2 thirds or 7/8 through this year but only 50%....so what are we supposed to do just wait another 10 months till March next year and limp through to September in 2023.....this sitting back and just observing what needs to be done is total bullshit imo....now is the time for the new kid on the block to start leading from the front and putting his personal stamp on the place, beit the team having confidence in him as Head Coach, selections, training drills, combinations, game plans, team structures or whatever....yes hes green as far as the Head Coaching Role is concerned but now is the time to mould the side into a unit that will be better prepared to deal with whats ahead.......he's had enough coaching assistants roles with top coaches to know what's required these days.....its different cattle but still the same game.....you can't drive a car from the passenger seat.........Jason you have plenty of time to make a difference....unfortunately old bastards like me dont
Can see your point BSE but I take a slightly different view, Im sure that upon signing the contract he wanted total control of who and what the Football Dept looks like. Its obvious we havent got the right staff there and IMO its just as important as the coaching of the team. I like the fact he can have a look behind the scenes and set up the players and structures that he wants for a big off season and heading into 2024. I dont believe he can have a proper view if he immerses himself into the coaching of the team and focuses on that. As a fan and member I had pretty much written this season off with all the issues we had in the off season and the continuing tenure of Hook. ATM we are an embarrassment with lots of dramas across the whole organisation. We desperately need the right people in place to give us a fighting chance, as to what we owe the club, well I dont think the members and fans owe the club anything, because it was the club and players that put us in this position in the first place.

Dragon David

First Grade
In a way it's like having an important job come up in an office of a disorganised and failing business and the usual advertisement goes out calling for prospective people to send in their applications to be appointed to the position but in the meantime, there is a fellow sitting in the chair for the next 6 months just letting things go down hill and business suffers while the guy who gets the job bides his time waiting for the opportunity to hone his skills and change things before they get worse. It just doesn't make any business sense.

We unfortunately don't know the ins and outs and what has transpired during the negotiating period which could have been going on for a few months and both the club and Ryles might have originally agreed for the changeover to take place in 2024. There could be several other factors of which we would not know but it would really make sense as you say BSE that Ryles should get stuck into the coaching of the Dragons forthwith and see if he can at least get us off the bottom of the ladder with about 12 or so more games yet to be played this year.

BLM01

First Grade

BREAKING: St George Illawarra appoint Jason Ryles as head coach​

BY LEAGUE INITIATIVE

May 30, 2023 in Clubs, News, St George Illawarra Dragons

League Initiative can reveal that the St George Illawarra Dragons have officially appointed Jason Ryles as their head coach from the 2024 NRL season.

The Dragons are set to officially announce the appointment to Red V members and fans this week, however, League Initiative can confirm that ink has been put to paper.
Ryles is to be appointed for a four year term that includes performance hurdles in year three and four which will require the team to reach specific benchmarks.
As part of the negotiations, Ryles insisted that ultimate control of the football department must rest with the head coach in order to avoid interference from external factors. Ryles is said to be conscious of the issues that have hampered the club’s performance in recent years, therefore, ensuring that the football department has total control of football related matters, such as recruitment and retention, was a fierce priority for Ryles.

Ryles will now spend the remainder of the 2023 season finalising his support staff and reviewing the Dragons‘ roster until he is able to take over from interim head coach Ryan Carr. The Sydney Roosters have not shied away from airing their displeasure towards Ryles, and initially, were set to insist that Ryles be placed on gardening leave. However, the Roosters will immediately and acrimoniously part ways with their assistant coach.

Who is Jason Ryles?

Jason Ryles made his NRL debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2000 and played 156 games for the Red V until his departure in 2008. In 2009, Ryles joined the Catalans Dragons in France before returning to Australia with stints at the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm.
Ryles commenced his coaching career in 2012 as an assistant coach for the NSW State of Origin under 20s rugby team. He continued in that role in 2013 and achieved success by defeating Queensland’s under 20s team in both years.
After retiring as a player in the National Rugby League, Ryles became the head coach of the Western Suburbs Red Devils for the 2014/2015 seasons. In 2015, Ryles was approached by the Melbourne Storm to join their coaching staff as an assistant coach. He held this position until the autumn of 2020. During his time with the Storm, Ryles also assisted in coaching England’s national rugby union team periodically. From 2016 to the present, Ryles served as the assistant coach for the Junior Kangaroos in 2016 and 2017. In autumn 2020, Ryles joined England as a full-time skills coach, but he was unable to participate in the 2021 Six Nations Championship due to travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. He left the role in May 2021. In 2022, Ryles joined the Sydney Roosters as an assistant coach.
boo boo:)
Seriously I hope he turns out as good as the speculation is around him especially being a rookie
Needs some decent football club staff and support. Hope he gets it
No sack Ryles threads please..least for many years ;)

Last edited: