What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryles it is NOT - Rejects Dragons

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Absolute debacle. Whoever we get now as coach, they know they're only our second or third choice, and that's second or third choice to a coach with NO first grade coaching experience. The players will know they're playing under a second or third choice coach. It will be another reason why decent players won't want to come to St George - why would you want to play for a side where you know the coach isn't who they wanted? Hasler, IF (and it's a big if) if he wanted to come, he now holds all the cards in the negotiations and I doubt our tight-arse board will be able to make him an offer that would attract him.

We're screwed. Webb and the Board can tart this up however they like, but the reality is it is an unmitigated disaster.

jay mac

Juniors
So at the 11th hour we have been gazumped again.. let's just give the job to carr for next year get browny for recruitment richo to run the place and go left field for wane from england
Let’s face it, Mimis played the Dragons like a fiddle. The Storm offer was always there and the Red V was simply leverage to get his client the best deal. Gus knew it. Uncle Nick knew it. I just hope our board wasn’t completely blindsided by it, but in all likelihood they probably were.

Dragon David

First Grade
What a public humiliation
It has been the media at all levels that has created this "hysteria". "It's a done deal. Ryles to sign with the Dragons on a 4 year deal. Ryles told by Roosters he is not needed now" etc., etc.

There has not been any semblance of a word coming out of the Dragons den that Ryles was close to signing. Our hopes might have overruled our heads that we had a guy coming soon to take the reins and have most of this year and the pre-season to pinpoint things needed like new players, new support staff, planning and so on because of the frenzy of the media trying to be the "we told you first story". A complete beat up when I have always said that we need to wait until confirmation is written on our website. Same as new players.

Who knows, Weidler might be telling bullshit on behalf of his buddy Gus.

If Ryles chooses to help out at the Storm immediately and stay there as an assistant to Bellamy, now that the Roosters has pissed him off because of the two ring circus Ryles has gotten himself into, he could then take over from Bellamy in 2025. If he does, well it's "che sera sera, whatever will be will be, the futures not ours to see".

The club would not be red faced. It's not as if they officially said anything and then Ryles pulled out. They haven't said anything official. The club would definitely have a couple of fall backs that might have been the ones that they were after anyway.

The saga and the guessing game will continue because no-one can get the inside information from any source from Board. Maybe Weidler has been leaked some stuff from the Ryles camp that the Storm is where he is headed and he will arrange for his family to pack up from their Wollongong villa and move down to the southern state again.

My guess is as good as yours folks. Hang in there.

Edit: Sorry guys, I was typing up my post and posted it then read the other posts and saw that Webby has confirmed that Ryles is not coming.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Absolute debacle. Whoever we get now as coach, they know they're only our second or third choice, and that's second or third choice to a coach with NO first grade coaching experience. The players will know they're playing under a second or third choice coach. It will be another reason why decent players won't want to come to St George - why would you want to play for a side where you know the coach isn't who they wanted? Hasler, IF (and it's a big if) if he wanted to come, he now holds all the cards in the negotiations and I doubt our tight-arse board will be able to make him an offer that would attract him.

We're screwed. Webb and the Board can tart this up however they like, but the reality is it is an unmitigated disaster.
same thing happened to us at the warriors. Went through a lot of names and eventually appointed Webster, pretty sure he knew he wasn't first choice, but has come from a successful system (Penrith) and has been pretty good for us so far.

I dont think it will impact the players tbh, they haven't had success in a while so are in no position to be picky.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Devastating news. Saints wanted Flanno and ended up with Hook and it was a disaster. Saints wanted Ryles and end up with ............ This will probably end up in tears again. What a waste of a season or should I say 3+ seasons.

Our only hope is Flanno or Hasler in the short term if we want some success next year. I can only see them as having any immediate impact as they can draw players. Ryles with his high expectations may have done so. Hornby and Young? Forget it. Who would want to come and play for these guys. They will struggle to attract any players I feel and Hunt will dictate like he did with Hook and the youngsters will be asking for releases again. The circus will continue.

I am expecting Young to be announced to be honest which is what we all expected from last year to be the next coach.

Dragon David

First Grade
We have gone a full circle and the one person who is currently having the last laugh is Griffin.

He was selected when all others we went for initially, had turned us down and now Ryles has turned us down, we have the terrible situation of not getting anyone that could have had us going into better times and without hurting the current coach Carr's feelings, we are destined to be wooden spooners again next year.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Devastating news. Saints wanted Flanno and ended up with Hook and it was a disaster. Saints wanted Ryles and end up with ............ This will probably end up in tears again. What a waste of a season or should I say 3+ seasons.

Our only hope is Flanno or Hasler in the short term if we want some success next year. I can only see them as having any immediate impact as they can draw players. Ryles with his high expectations may have done so. Hornby and Young? Forget it. Who would want to come and play for these guys. They will struggle to attract any players I feel and Hunt will dictate like he did with Hook and the youngsters will be asking for releases again. The circus will continue.

I am expecting Young to be announced to be honest which is what we all expected from last year to be the next coach.
Have also heard Hasler rejected the Dragons and from Flanaghan himself that he wasn't even approached...waht a shambles