What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Woody90

Juniors
Not pointing the finger at him because at the end of the day the buck stops with AOB, but I wonder how much say Green has in the style of football we play?

Regardless of who’s at fault more, I just find it so perplexing that we’d take what was working for us in attack last year and throw it out the window.

I really wish one of the journos would actually ask AOB that in a presser.

Last edited:
AOB in the press conference: "We're not a good looking team, we're an ugly team". He trains them to play ugly. Why are we an ugly team, Adam?
In the Herald the other day, Toohey reckons AOB told his players that "they need to fall back in love with the grind" after the round 1 game against Canberra. .
After one game into a new season, we go back to a style that hasn't worked since about 2018 and he can't understand how we're an ugly team???

Every team had us figured out about 3 months ago. We don't chance our hand or even throw any offloads until we're down by 4+ tries.

Woody90

Juniors
In the Herald the other day, Toohey reckons AOB told his players that "they need to fall back in love with the grind" after the round 1 game against Canberra. .
After one game into a new season, we go back to a style that hasn't worked since about 2018 and he can't understand how we're an ugly team???

Every team had us figured out about 3 months ago. We don't chance our hand or even throw any offloads until we're down by 4+ tries.

The ironic thing is that if we’d kept playing the same style we did in round 1 we’d no doubt be in a much better position now.

We looked deadset unhinged in that game but of course nothing stuck, it was round 1 and they hadn’t played a proper game together in 6 months.

What sort of shitty coach throws everything they’d been working on in the off season out after 1 game?

The players will start getting fed up because they’re not enjoying their footy.

mozza91

Coach
Yeah I don’t normally pay much attention to press conferences but that was deadset alarming.

He wants to build a team based on something our blokes aren’t capable of and not to mention that it’s terrible to watch from a fans perspective.

Last year wasn’t a fluke, playing an up tempo attacking orientated game suits this team especially when Ponga is humming. Wanting this side to play a grinding, ugly style is non sensical.

Call me a sceptic but I’m beginning to doubt that Obi has single handedly won 4 premierships.

aqua_duck

Coach
Playing ugly might jag you a win here and there against mid-bottom tier teams and depending on luck and variance might even jag you a spot around the bottom of the top 8 but at the end of the day you’ll always just be cannon fodder for the top sides. Playing ugly and grinding relies heavily on a great kicking game and not making errors, 2 things that we absolutely suck at.

Old dog

Bench
AOB has an ext contract which is likely to keep him on as Coach for the next few years so now, yes this season and 2025 it’s time to make the changes. Would like to see some of those better performing Cup players given opportunities in firsts, not wholesale changes but opportunities on a rotating basis to see what they offer.
Something has to be tried

perverse

Referee
Playing ugly might jag you a win here and there against mid-bottom tier teams and depending on luck and variance might even jag you a spot around the bottom of the top 8 but at the end of the day you’ll always just be cannon fodder for the top sides. Playing ugly and grinding relies heavily on a great kicking game and not making errors, 2 things that we absolutely suck at.
It's very 2008~ era Melbourne mentality. The rules have changed, the game has changed. It's fast, and you're allowed to attack now. We look stuck in the stone age with our play style.